• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Did Paul and the rest of those who wrote letters and records of history know that what they were writting would some day be put together and called The New Testament?

Guest shiloh357

Did Paul and the rest of those who wrote letters and records of history know that what they were writting would some day be put together and called The New Testament?

Probably not the way we know it today, but there is evidence that the knew some of what they were writing was by inspiration of the Holy Spirit (Such as Paul's remarks in I Corinthians. Paul calls Luke "Scripture" and Peter refers to Paul's writing as Scripture. There is evidence they knew that some of their writings were going to be Scripture. Paul wrote a lot of other things that did not make it into the Canon (such as the missing letter to the Corinthians or the epistle to Laocecia). Did they know there would a Bible subdivided as Old Testament and New Testament? Not likely.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Probably not the way we know it today, but there is evidence that the knew some of what they were writing was by inspiration of the Holy Spirit (Such as Paul's remarks in I Corinthians. Paul calls Luke "Scripture" and Peter refers to Paul's writing as Scripture. There is evidence they knew that some of their writings were going to be Scripture. Paul wrote a lot of other things that did not make it into the Canon (such as the missing letter to the Corinthians or the epistle to Laocecia). Did they know there would a Bible subdivided as Old Testament and New Testament? Not likely.

Just as I am already suspecting which would mean that the bible as we know it is actually a manifestion of the hand of God at work in the lives of all of mankind. I asked the question because a nonbeliver had asked me "Who authorized or by what authority did Paul write the bible?" and I didn't have a proper and believable answer for him. He and his wife are nonpracticing Jews who believe that all religions speak the same message and I saw some celtic taroh cards in thier home. However God is reaching out to them. They just don't know it.

You have been helpful thanks.

Just as I am already suspecting which would mean that the bible as we know it is actually a manifestion of the hand of God at work in the lives of all of mankind. I asked the question because a nonbeliver had asked me "Who authorized or by what authority did Paul write the bible?" and I didn't have a proper and believable answer for him. He and his wife are nonpracticing Jews who believe that all religions speak the same message and I saw some celtic taroh cards in thier home. However God is reaching out to them. They just don't know it.

You have been helpful thanks.

:thumbsup:

There Is Power In That Holy Book

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. Isaiah 55:11

Wonder Working

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

Power

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16