• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/20/1958

Why does God not heal all?

We know the Bible says Jesus healed the lame, gave sight to the blind, and even raised the dead.

We know Jesus said with faith we can move mountains and that whatever we ask will be given to us.

Psalm 37:4 says,

“Delight yourself also in the LORD,

And He shall give you the desires of your heart.”

So, why are so many of us still afflicted with disease, illness, pain, and all sorts of maladies?

If you ask a dozen Christians, a hundred Christians, a thousands Christians, “How many of you are completely healed of every physical and mental illness?” there will be silence.

No one, Christian or not, is 100% healed of everything.

Surely, God could heal us, so why not?

Yes, sin and death entered the world at the fall, but didn’t Jesus pay for all those sins on the cross? Is our healing only spiritual? Did God stop healing when Jesus rose?

Yes, our sins are paid in full. No, our healing is not solely spiritual. No, God still heals.

An often-quoted verse on this subject is Paul’s writing on the “Thorn in the flesh” in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

“7 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

The first verse in this section should catch our attention, as it contains the same phrase twice—“lest I should be exalted above measure.” The Bible does not repeat itself without reason. In fact, the sentence begins and ends with that same phrase.

That phrase in the original Greek is “ὑπεραίρωμαι” and it means “to raise oneself up, to become haughty, arrogant.” The ESV uses the word “conceited” in this passage.

So, Paul begins the discussion of his malady by clearly giving us the reason he has such a thorn in the flesh—to keep him from becoming arrogant. In other words, the thorn keeps him humble.

As we look through the Bible, not once does God ever associate pride with something desirable in His people.

Proverbs 21:24

A proud and haughty man— “Scoffer” is his name; He acts with arrogant pride.

Ezekiel 7:10

‘Behold, the day! Behold, it has come! Doom has gone out; The rod has blossomed, Pride has budded.

On the other hand, God speaks of the humble in this way:

Psalm 147:6

The LORD lifts up the humble; He casts the wicked down to the ground.

Psalm 149:4

For the LORD takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the humble with salvation.

God tells Paul His grace is sufficient for him and His strength is made perfect in Paul’s weakness. Paul follows that verse with two verses saying he will gladly brag and enjoy his sickness and everything that bothers you and I for the sake of Jesus!—and that doing so will cause the power of Jesus himself to rest upon him!

And, then, there’s that verse that is so hard to figure out—“For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

What!?!?!

How can the weak be strong? How can a crippled or blind or lame or drug-addicted or thieving or murdering or poor or stuttering or mentally ill person be an effective witness for Christ?

Because the best witnesses are those who have received the greatest grace—forgiveness where there was condemnation, peace where there was turmoil, faith where there was doubt, and love where there was none.

We are they.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

The supernatural healings and miracles of the Acts period were for a specific reason, to give the Jews a Sign to help them believe. God has already given us His All and has nothing left to prove, so those days are over. The same pertains to other signs and gifts. It's important to also realize that we have His completed Word.

1 Corinthians 13:8-13 (KJV) 8 Charity never faileth: but whether [there be] prophecies, they shall fail; whether [there be] tongues, they shall cease; whether [there be] knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

Acts 2:4-8 KJV And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

This is not to say that God no longer performs miracles - He does according to His Perfect Will. God never promised us an easy time in this short life. It's always important to remember that God does as He pleases in heaven and on earth. These are things that I will not debate, and I realize that some people are sensitive about some of these issues. The cold, hard facts are that we all get sick and die.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/20/1958

I should have added to the original post that there is much, much more to it than just keeping us humble.

So, go ahead, there is indeed much more to be said than I have written.

:)

God does heal today, He's just not "flashy" about it. :)

Something to keep in mind although it might sound a bit strange at first.

Death is nothing to fear for the believer. It is the departure from this life of pain and suffering and the beginning of eternity with Christ. No more being deaf, crippled, diseased. Finally free of sin and in the presence of Christ, and in the company of those who departed before you. It is the door way to our eternal home.

So, it could be said that death (departure from this life) is the ultimate healing. :thumbsup: