IGNORED

The Essenes

Guest swordofpeace

Guest swordofpeace

A lot of talk is going on about the Essenes. I have a history of interest in them and I just watched a video now after not having thought about them for a long time. I feel I have something to say on them at the moment.

They are said to be highly respected among all people's and groups (cf Josephus, Philo, Pliny). They wanted to cultivate the highest thoughts to train their minds to be holy and they sought above all things purity and truth. Nothing seems more spiritual, and in fact maybe they were born along by the Holy Spirit.

Yet what I am about to say for those who know who they were and about their attitudes and practices will seem to fly in the face of common sense and reason, which is that: Even in seeking spiritual perfection, their ways are the products of the natural mind!!!

You heard me right! This kind of thinking and behavior is a product of the natural mind, the natural man and things of the spirit are a mystery to those who would earn God's favor, love and grace through such means! Cf: Romans 8 and 1 Corinthians 2:13-15 for more insights into the natural versus spiritual man/mind.

I understand that when they appeared on the scene, the mystery of Grace had not yet been revealed. When Christ kept hinting at it to his disciples, or trying to teach him, they often had difficulty understanding. And they were his chosen apostles. So it is no wonder and not as any kind of insult or judgement that I say their ways are the product of a natural mind. Grace had just not been revealed, at least to the extent it came to be. Or?

Certainly on the earth, if the descriptions of the Essenes are to be trusted (and they are from very very trustworthy sources), then they of anybody are probably the most 'spiritual' of the earth. They even lived long lives in health as a result.

And in fact I admire then as a natural man. I think we can emulate them in many ways- their community living, their attention and focus on the inward life, the knowledge of agriculture and gardening, etc etc etc. I could go on. Their scholarship. Their egalitarian thinking. Really I believe this, and probably many of them actually became christian and became part of the body of Christ.

Yet in sum I don't do what others do and follow them as the way. I tend to take the view of Jesus in regards to John the Baptist (whom many esteemed scholars actually consider to be an Essene of Qumran region)

I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.”

And lo, many consider John the Baptist to be an essene of Qumran, So the comparison is fitting!

The Essenes may very well be some of the greatest from those born of a woman. I would say this is probably true. A lot of Californians are getting into Essenism (although perhaps not even in the authentic traditional form like they claim) and it worries me because I don't think they really understand the bible, which they go on to criticize. They end up even rejecting Paul in order to preserve their theologies and understandings! I am trying to show we can have the best of both worlds. We can continue to admire and support and follow in a earthly way the ways of the Essenes, just as we would say John the Baptist or the prophets of old, because they followed the Torah and tried to keep the covenant Yahweh had with his people. And they were even watching for a messiah to come. Yet they remain, at least if hey haven't converted, lesser than the least in the Kingdom. And those who argue that Paul corrupted the Gospel of Christ in order to hang on to their Essenism I think don't really understand Paul, because the natural mind cannot easily understand his writings. Amen?

Here is where I consider their ways of the natural man- even though they are seeking the spirit or purity. Maybe they were born along by the Holy Spirit or worshiped in truth. Certainly in old covenant times, the situation was different. And if they continue their practices after Christ came, but with an acceptance of Christ and an understanding of Grace- i.e. if they weren't Judaizers, then there is no problem.

But their ways are of ever increasing practice of the Torah, ever narrower circles. They put themselves into communities, whereas the Christians went out into the world. They were in the world but not of the world. I think there is no problem practicing good works in order to love God back, to please him, but we must realize we already have his love. We don't have to earn it. It was a free gift. This is what the natural mind has a hard time grasping.

What is grace like? Grace is like warm oil being poured over the head and body, just at the time we feel unworthy and despicable. Grace is a hand reaching down and pulling us out of a rushing river that is headed for a steep waterfall. We cannot take credit or boast for any of these gifts. Paul persecuted the Christians and then he was shown grace. Who would understand Grace better than him? Many ex-drug users, alcoholics, sinful and proud people, rock musicians have felt this sort of grace and turned to Christ. The transformation is almost miraculous and doesn't involve ever narrower steps, in order to achieve the peace that is in God.

In truth, who knows? Many essenes probably joined Christianity. We are told that two of John's disciples became Jesus's. Maybe a large share of Essenes became Christians, and took their traditions into the early Church. There does seem to be various parallels and similarities, although this is not necessarily the cause. Weren't we told that the Essenes were waiting for the messiah? Maybe some of them found him. We are sure they did their best to be holy- which was probably pleasing in the eyes of God. We also knew that they rejected the temple cult, which would have probably made it easier. Didn't the Essenes consider their bodies to be the temple?

But where the problem lies is when we mix or substitute the theology of scripture, of unearned undeserved Grace-with their theology or a modern Essenian theology of salvation or grace or whatever word you want to use-righteousness through works, as many are doing. I hold the view by the way that Grace is not understood, it is not some wimpy 'looking the other way to our sin' but is highly active and constantly at work in pulling us out of sin and sanctifying us- through 'fire' even sometimes if necessary (Paul's thorn in the side). The problem is when people try to use the Essene ways to Judaize the gospel, and this can happen in such subtle ways, and with small beginnings.

This is the way I think is right: Feel God's love and receive his grace. Grace has been given once but fully recognizing and delighting in it is truly a lifelong work. Next, after feeling loved, it will be natural to love and serve him back, by being a humble servant and a faithful witness. If you feel unmotivated at times, go back to step one, which is to feel the grace of God and his lavish unconditional love. Remember, he also wants to be loved with our minds (Matthew 22) and that means scholarship! And in our loving and serving him back, we don't go for the works of the Mosaic torah- i.e. circumcision, Sabbath, etc, but we go for those things which sum up the law- love your neighbor and love God, as the Holy Spirit moves us. This is how I understand scripture anyway.

If we try to be like the Essenes in the idea that we can win God's love we are confused and do not understand grace. If we try on the other hand to be like them to have a pure and focused life, to escape the spiritually empty world of culture and commerce, and enjoy fruits of our deeds on the physical plane, then we will certainly enjoy a relatively more peaceful and abundant, happier life, no doubt, because as one sows, so one reaps. That even applies to atheists. Smoking can help cause cancer regardless of the religious beliefs of the smoker. Yet if we try to judaize religion, even with reference to perhaps the best of the best, we will not really know Christ or understand the mystery of Grace. We don't follow John, we follow Jesus.

It also happens that often to those who have not been living so purely are ones that get called and receive the grace. Just look at all those ex-drug users, rock band members, alcoholics, etc. and how the Holy Spirit has suddenly around-turned them. Paul himself persecuted the early church and helped in the Martyr of Stephen. Yet grace just came pouring down on him, didn't it? Some people following certain ideas need to be very careful in their thinking. That is the gist of what I am trying to say.

Well, the Essenes were truly amazing. Like John the Baptist, probably greater than anyone else born of women. Our modern 21s century culture and even modern lifestyle 21st century high tech Christians can probably even learn a lot from them. Our society maybe even needs what they have to teach us, on the physical plane by putting their ideas into practice. I tried this in the past by joining a (non religious) community in California, retreating often to nature, in which I practically almost slept. I also tried to practice gardening and agriculture. And I tried to cultivate daily meditations and order my day along certain lines, for work, study and reverence. It was amazing, actually, and peaceful. The whole of creation testifies to the glory of God, and I think people miss this. Sometimes I feel the mountains or the forest is my church, where I can be one with the glory of God. But even at this time I didn't know grace, I didn't understand the theology of Paul. I do, at least much better.

But unless those who practice these nice ways of existing come to Christ, no matter how pure they are, the bible implies that those least in the kingdom are greater than they! Unless they come to Christ, I wonder if they have that annointing feeling, and that realization of God's lavish love and unconditional acceptance for who we are. I wonder perhaps if the division is simply one of theory versus practice. In other words God may say- don't do that until you receive my grace. Then he says- do that.

I wonder also if it is a constant challenge for even the real serious and intense of them (like the actual leader of the community 2000 years ago) to be humble, since the more pure and holy he got, the more he could perhaps easily boast of having earning something through himself (a workman's wages, not a son's inheritance). Grace on the other hand is that oil which anoints us to be co-kings and co-ruler with Christ. It calls people from all walks and all places, even the chief of sinners, and suddenly miraculously transforms them, and then they go OUT into the world and preach, not close themselves off in cloisters. These are my thoughts now, when I am thinking of the historic ancient Essenes, those remarkable people highly esteemed and regarded.

Comments?

The Master

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. John 5:39

And The Talk

My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word. Psalms 119:81

~

.... Yet what I am about to say for those who know who they were and about their attitudes and practices will seem to fly in the face of common sense and reason, which is that: Even in seeking spiritual perfection, their ways are the products of the natural mind!!!

You heard me right! This kind of thinking and behavior is a product of the natural mind, the natural man and things of the spirit are a mystery to those who would earn God's favor, love and grace through such means! Cf: Romans 8 and 1 Corinthians 2:13-15 for more insights into the natural versus spiritual man/mind.

I understand that when they appeared on the scene, the mystery of Grace had not yet been revealed. When Christ kept hinting at it to his disciples, or trying to teach him, they often had difficulty understanding. And they were his chosen apostles. So it is no wonder and not as any kind of insult or judgement that I say their ways are the product of a natural mind. Grace had just not been revealed, at least to the extent it came to be. Or?.... Comments?....

:thumbsup:

Grace

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. Hosea 6:6

Faith

Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:45

The Word

And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live. Deuteronomy 8:3

And The WORD

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

What More Could A Fellow Need?

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call. Joel 2:32