End of the rope

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

I'm hesitant to re post on this topic again because I know that it's an emotional subject.

I would just like say however;

I don't like to label or draw up a list of those illness that qualify someone for nursing care in a home.

In fact it frightens me.

Personally, I think in an ideal world we would all wish to live out our last days within our respective families.

Sadly, we know that this is not always possible.

Perhaps and this is just my opinion.

When we can no longer look after ourselves; when we no longer have a good quality of life living on our own,

when old age has gone beyond the sensible thing to allow us to live on our own and no other per course is open, then;

we need the care and attention that can be given in a nursing home.

I just hope that it never becomes the norm to say that this or that illness or infliction warrants a nursing home.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/29/1955

Personally, I think in an ideal world we would all wish to live out our last days within our respective families.

When we can no longer look after ourselves; when we no longer have a good quality of life living on our own,

when old age has gone beyond the sensible thing to allow us to live on our own and no other per course is open, then;

I agree.

I also want to apologize to the board if I gave the impression that the diagnosis of a particular illness or affliction "warrants" nursing home care. I do not. I agree with the poster I quoted that it is the ability to look out after ourselves, not the affliction,determines the need for nursing home care

Edited by peacefulwidow

I agree.

I also want to apologize to the board if I gave the impression that the diagnosis of a particular illness or affliction "warrants" nursing home care. I do not. I agree with the poster I quoted that it is the ability to look out after ourselves, not the affliction,determines the need for nursing home care

Please don't feel guilty and no need to apologise; I'm sure everyone including myself understood your post.

It's just that I have a invested reason for stating that which I stated. (At times I can come across as pedantic and for this I apologise)

GBU you peace and I'm still praying for the OP's situation, it's not an easy one.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/27/1966

I'm in a similar situation. My mom is 86 and suffers from Alzheimer's Disease. Dad had been her primary caretaker most of the past decade. Then Dad had a heart attack and had to go to a nursing home and eventually died last February. Mom couldn't be alone, so she went with him. I quit my career and moved back to their city in January to oversee their care and estate, which is pretty much a full-time job and then some.

Mom improved enough that I took a gamble and brought her back home to live last week. I'm very worried, but willing to give this a try for several reasons. Hired a part-time home health aide to do things I cannot do. It's very stressful. I want the best for her, but am not sure how to best help. She has moments where she is very lucid and pretty normal for an 86-year-old and then has moments where she talks crazy, threatens to kill me, etc.

So anyway, I do feel your pain. I've been dealing with this for only six months and just now brought her home to live with me. So I have no idea how this will affect me long-term.

I'm in a similar situation. My mom is 86 and suffers from Alzheimer's Disease. Dad had been her primary caretaker most of the past decade. Then Dad had a heart attack and had to go to a nursing home and eventually died last February. Mom couldn't be alone, so she went with him. I quit my career and moved back to their city in January to oversee their care and estate, which is pretty much a full-time job and then some.

Mom improved enough that I took a gamble and brought her back home to live last week. I'm very worried, but willing to give this a try for several reasons. Hired a part-time home health aide to do things I cannot do. It's very stressful. I want the best for her, but am not sure how to best help. She has moments where she is very lucid and pretty normal for an 86-year-old and then has moments where she talks crazy, threatens to kill me, etc.

So anyway, I do feel your pain. I've been dealing with this for only six months and just now brought her home to live with me. So I have no idea how this will affect me long-term.

GBU Mark, you and your mother will be in my prayers, a brave decision.

Praying~!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,407
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I think you're on the right track with the home health aide. The more help and support you can get from others the better, because it's honestly too big a job for one person, and caregivers need space and time to themselves too.

And thank you all for the prayers and advice. APS has been keeping us in the dark about what they're up to, but so far my grandmother's health is relatively alright.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,407
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Hello.

Just a little update to this situation. After a long delay our case worker finally came over. She said in another month or two the case may be closed so long as my grandmother remains stable in the nursing home, so she'll be able to come home then.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

You can only do what you CAN do; it sounds like you're probably in over your head now. Get some help with this. You need a few hours a day "off."

The Lord bless you for your care and concern for your mother. +