• Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Olympic Committee Takes Heat for Not Remembering '72 Terrorist Attack

By Napp Nazworth , Christian Post Reporter

July 23, 2012|1:19 pm

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has been criticized recently for its decision not to hold a remembrance on the anniversary of the 1972 terrorist attack on Israeli Olympians.

"We feel that the Opening Ceremony is an atmosphere that is not fit to remember such a tragic incident," IOC President Jacques Rogge said at a Saturday press conference, reinforcing a decision first announced in May.

Over 100,000 people have now signed an online petition at Munich11.org asking for a minute of silence at the Olympics to remember the 11 Israeli athletes, coaches and referees who were murdered at the Munich Olympics.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/27/1966

Debated this at length on another message board with lots of sports people.

I can see the arguments both ways. Yes, it happened. There have been other memorials. Do we need to keep doing it over and over until the end of time? (Sort of like the seemingly annual 9-11 memorials). I think it would be appropriate for the Israeli delegation to do something --- perhaps wear black --- in memory of the event.

In Vancouver, they did a moment of silence for the Georgia luger who was killed in a practice run. But that was the same day. They won't do another moment of silence at the 2014 Games or afterward.

I wouldn't be upset if they did something, but I'm not upset that they're not doing anything, either.