tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

These were not saved by John's baptism. Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance". So I think that means that John's baptism was an outward working in preparation for the real thing and not a way of salvation. Paul dismissed the baptism they had as of no use in and of itself. Why the need to baptise again? Why no mention of Apollos being rebaptised?

"John's baptism was a baptism of repentance" carries the meaning that it was not for salvation.

johnp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree johnp, but my original point was that in order to be saved, one MUST repent, which is exactly what you have said. Apollos received the "baptism of repentance"! There is a point of "repentance" I don't see a need for Apollos being rebaptised, as he ALREADY WAS.......which again proves the point I'm trying to make. We are going in circles. The passages you post about Apollos, just reconfirm the point I'm trying to make, of the "2" parts, which I myself had to undergo as well.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  308
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/28/1950

Hello horizoneast.

Here we have the unsaved asking what they must do to be saved. They believed the message spoken by Peter

Hello horizoneast.

Nice talking to you.

Just one point to make. I was not speculating about the carnel mind but quoting scripture. It is not an extreme position but the right one.

The rest of your post is great and I'm glad to call you brother.

johnp. :emot-highfive:

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

When Jesus was teaching Nicodemus the nature of the new birth, Nicodemus inquired, "How can these things be?

Is this baptismal regeneration being preached?

johnp.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Greetings Suzanne,

I pray you the blessings of the Father and the Son :wub:

[You said]

I believe that my own came in 2 parts, at 2 different times, with 2 necessary components.

1. belief & repentance

2. receiving of the Holy Spirit

[My testimony]

I believe you to be absolutely correct; except I believe that there is one more forgotten and necessary part, Baptism. The process is, Belief, repentance and baptism.

John

Hi Repent1,

Thank you for your response. You may have missed it in a previous post, (there were quite a few on this), but yes, I was also physically baptized as well. I believe that is when I received the Holy Spirit. It changed the way of my understanding of the Word dramatically. I was able to understand the Scriptures much better, and the communion with the Lord was greatly amplified after the experience of baptism. (Not to turn this into a water baptism thread), but my experience was most definitely significant to me.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

[from the text it is plain that Nicodemus (the teacher of Israel) knew absolutely nothing of this new birth as it related to his Jewish heritage. How else would you explain his perplexed and bewildered reply (Jn. 3:4)?

My point exactly. He should have known better. This is why Jesus rebuked him. :wub:

Hi All,

I came across this message in the Word last night, and thought of the current discussion here, about Nicodemus. I thought I would post it.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." 4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"

1 Peter 2:13 Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; 15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy." 17 And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear;

22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, 23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever,

24 because "All flesh is as grass, And all the glory of man as the flower of the grass. The grass withers, And its flower falls away, 25 But the word of the Lord endures forever."Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you.

James 1:21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. 22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

I don't know if you take anything away from this, but it sure spoke to me about being obedient, after hearing the Word. That is what being "born again" means!

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Greetings Suzanne

Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father: To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. :21:

[You said]

James 1:21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. 22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

I don't know if you take anything away from this, but it sure spoke to me about being obedient, after hearing the Word. That is what being "born again" means!

[My testimony]

I think that you are absolutely right about obedience being the evidence of the change (the born again experience), a change of your mind and a change of your ways:

[Romans 12:1-2]

1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present (offer) your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable (logical) service (performance of duties).

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

[Ephesians 4:22-25]

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation (ways, behavior, and manner of life) the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

[My testimony]

These are also demonstration of types (examples) of works expected of us, to be in true fellowship with Christ, we must lay aside (To give up; abandon) all filthiness and overflow (excess) of wickedness, we must receive (accept) with meekness the implanted word, we must be doers (performers) of the word, and not hearers only, we must put away (stop) lying.

God expects us to perform these duties, with a willing heart and a willing mind (by choice).

Walking with you in the spirit of truth and love,

Your brethren in Christ,

Repent1