• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/29/1987

I am trying to find a new Church as my mum does not like the one I go to at this time. I was looking into a Church that is right near my school and it is a Baptist Church. Does anyone know about the Baptist denomination? If you do, please let me know. I am hoping to head in to that Church tomorrow - but I am not sure if I can yet. I know that leader of the Youth and he is really awesome. I actually spent 5 1/2 hours talking to him yesturday - it was cool.

Anyways, let me know if you have any input on the Baptist Church.

Be Blessed.

Keep it real.

Jenn Kilmartin

Guest aggiekat

I personally attend a Bible/non-denominational church because I feel that we have added too many things to the Bible with denominations. I believe that the Bible should be our instruction and that sermons taught in church should come directly from it.

But to answer your question about the Baptist denomination... Out of all the denominations that I know of, it is the most like a non-denominational church. I would tend to say that it's a safe choice. However, you should ALWAYS compare how a church acts and what it teaches against the Bible, no matter what the denomination is. That's your real test right there. Any type of church can be off and drifting from the Word of God. You need to visit the church and observe the congregation's behavior, hear what is taught, and learn what is important to the church. Where do they spend their money? Is it used in a loving and Godly manner for the good of others? Do the church members support and love each other? Are there factions (yes, that is a bad thing)? Does the church reach out beyond its walls? Does it support missionaries? Does it have groups that go out and minister themselves? Do they reach out to the lost?

To simplify... denomination is not the end-all when choosing a church. The question should be -- Is the church worshipping and serving God in a biblical manner?

I hope that this is helpful to you.

aggiekat

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Hello, more2life, and welcome to Worthy!

I belong to an independent, fundamental Baptist church. For me, it's the best in the world. They seem to keep to the Bible without all of the frills and bells. It's just how I want to savor God.

There are a few different denominations within the Baptists, though. Some teach OSAS, some don't. Some highlight other doctrines and others go a different way. I'm not sure which version is near you, but here is a few things to think about. Look for one that has a local leadership. In other words, if they belong to a hierarchy and their teaching come from a military-like chain of command, I'd be careful. This can affect what they preach as they feel they must stay in line with the higher direction. One of the beauties of an independent church is that they take their higher direction from God and the Bible, rather than some convention or group of men, dictating what should be preached. Sooner or later, you'll end up seeing things like debates on homosexual preachers and other no-brainers.

The local church should not be tied with such things. Is there really any debate on things that are clear?

Also, ask to see their Statement of faith and constitution. These two important things will reveal their basic beliefs. Take some time and attend a few services. Anything that is being taught there contrary to the Bible? A sure sign to heed!

Good luck and may you find the truth.

t.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  09/04/1986

I agree with aggiekats post about what a Church should be like for the most part.

I used to attend a Baptist church however, and ended up leaving and going to a non-denominational church. They were much more open to letting the Holy Spirit lead their services, and teaching God's WORD, not what their Denomination told them to teach, or told them what was right. I don't care for denominations in general, I don't believe different "branches" of the Church need to be split, which is what denominations cause .

The Baptist church I had attended were strict about following their "Constitution", which included such things as Their members can't go to movies, etc. They were quite legalistic, and I've been to at least 5 baptist churches that were just like that. Mostly concerned about the clothes, the music you listened to, etc. We lost about all of our youth, when I left there was only one other teenager there, and the church was down to about 20 people. People left for the same reasons I did. THey didn't feel the Holy Spirit working, and didn't feel that love, and unity within the body. I like it when people are REAL with me, and not try to hide behind the facade of being perfect at church. Church is where we can come together, and share our struggles, get encouragement and Grow in the Lord.

Maybe you could check out Calvary Chapel They are along the lines of non-denominational... every one I've been to has been awesome. They have awesome worship, the people are awesome, and in Love with GOD, and are very welcoming. If you go to that site, you can see if they have one in your area.

Blessings in Christ,

Deirdre

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  09/04/1986

Oh Aggie! lol., really? awesome. :laugh:

How do you like it?

My husband was raised in Calvary's. He's attended them his whole life. I had never heard of them until I met him! lol.

Guest aggiekat

I've attended two of them in this city and they are both awesome. If you want biblical teaching and real, loving Christians, Calvary Chapels seem to have both in spades. I fully intend to do my best to be within reach of another one when my hubby and I move out of Texas. :laugh:

aggiekat

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/29/1987

Thank you all for your input. I think I will take your advice and go to my first Sunday Service at this Church to check it out.

I went to a Calvary Chapel before for about 4 years and was fully involved and then I left because of some circumstances between me and some of the Youth Leaders and the Youth Intern. I liked it there for the most part except they seemed to be really strict about ALWAYS being at Church and Youth Group EVERY week - which didn't go over too well with my family. I am the only Christian in my family, so that is where the big argument comes into place. I was just attending a Pentecostal Church which was so amazing and I felt so at home and then my mum started to say that they are brainwashing me so I can't go there anymore.

Anyways, thanks for your advice. I will let you all know how the service goes if I go. Also, after I go, would I be able to come back on here and post some questions I may have about the Church or things they do? Would anyone be willing to reply?

Love in Christ,

Jenn

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

more2life,

You speak of "the Baptist denomination". Actually, there is no such thing. There are a couple dozen "baptist" denominations in the U.S. alone, and some of them have very dissimilar doctrines.

Tread carefully.

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Anyways, thanks for your advice. I will let you all know how the service goes if I go. Also, after I go, would I be able to come back on here and post some questions I may have about the Church or things they do? Would anyone be willing to reply?

Yup.

t.