• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  210
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  2

Hi Hippias,

I was talking about the land that was referred to in the Gen 17: the land of Canaan that was promised to Abraham and his seed as an everlasting possession. Since the land of the Jews was taken by the Romans when Jesus was on earth this part of the covenent can hardly be regarded as fulfilled, since the possession wasn't everlasting. -Hippias

I think this could be looked at in two different ways. Here is my take.

The Abrahamic covenant was made before the Mosaic covenant but I see certain similarities between the two, like circumcision, tithing and land promises, but since circumcision was a condition of both and since IMO the Lord Jesus Christ has met all of God's requirements, both covenants must have been fulfilled in Christ. Here is why I feel this is true:

1) Those who believe are children of Abraham. The people that would be blessed by Abraham are all nations and if all nations then the land promises could be considered fulfilled in these nations/people.

Galatians 3:6-9

New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)

6 Consider Abraham: “He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”[a] 7 Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham. 8 The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”[b] 9 So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

Footnotes:

1. Galatians 3:6 Gen. 15:6
  2. Galatians 3:8 Gen. 12:3; 18:18; 22:18

Galatians 3:29-4:7

29If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

4 What I am saying is that as long as the heir is a child, he is no different from a slave, although he owns the whole estate. 2 He is subject to guardians and trustees until the time set by his father. 3 So also, when we were children, we were in slavery under the basic principles of the world. 4 But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, 5 to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. 6 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba,[a] Father.” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.

Footnotes:

1. Galatians 4:6 Aramaic for Father

Notice that the father set the time for the heir to receive the inheritance and that the time had fully come for God the Father to send His Son and redeem those under the law so that they may receive the full rights as sons. The full rights as sons would include the land promise being fulfilled, would it not?

So, in Christ these early Christians received the full rights as sons, just as those in Christ do today. If we belong to Christ we are Abraham's seed, just as Christ is, for we are joint heirs with Christ.

2) Circumcision is abrogated in Christ. It is not just a reason for the Mosaic Law being fulfilled in Christ and the New Covenant. Circumcision was also conditional in the Abrahamic covenant. There is neither circumcision nor uncircumcision in Christ - all are one. Therefore the condition of possessing the land promised to Abraham I believe has been fully met in Christ with circumcision of the heart - the true Jew and descendant of Abraham is one circumcized by the heart (Romans 2:28-29). If circumcision, a physical condition of the Abrahasmic covenant has been met in Christ, why do you think that the land promise is not also fully met?

Genesis 17:11

11 You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you.

Galatians 5:1-11

Freedom in Christ

5 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? 8 That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9 “A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough.” 10 I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty, whoever he may be. 11 Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished.

Galatians 6:14-16

14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which[a] the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation. 16 Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule, even to the Israel of God.

Footnotes:

1. Galatians 6:14 Or whom

1 Corinthians 7:19

19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God’s commands is what counts.

3) I believe the land promised to Abraham ultimately pointed to the new spiritual promised land, the heavenly country, for I am convinced that the whole OT has types and shadows that point to Christ Jesus and fulfillment in Him, as made known over and over again in the NT.

Hebrews 11:13

13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth.

Hebrews 11:16

16 Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

Hebrews 11:39-40

39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. 40 God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

John 8:56

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”

I'm sorry, I'm out of time, but the point I'm trying to develop is that Abraham was looking for a different land, a heavenly country and he waited patiently for Christ's day, saw it and rejoiced. I ask you whether the land promises could be met in the spiritual nature, rather than physical? We, along with Christ are seeds of Abraham to whom the promises were made, but more than that are heirs of the heavenly realms. Now, and this is something you have to decide for yourself, are all God's promises yes in Christ on whom all these saints of old were waiting and who also were waiting for a heavenly country, not an earthly one.

2 Corinthians 1:20

20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.

Ephesians 1:3

Spiritual Blessings in Christ

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

Peter

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  148
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

In Genesis 17 the land of Canaan is specified, this particular land was promised as everlasting possession. If now you equate "Canaan= all nations" then it is completely out of question that the promise of possession - let alone everlasting! - could be regarded as fulfilled. In the times of Jesus the seed of Abraham, however interpreted, did absolutely not possess all nations!

By the way, Galatians 3:29 also speaks clearly against the equation "seed of Abraham= Jesus"?

The covenant altered, circumcision taken out but Jesus being installed as the only way towards God. To me it seems the covenant did not last for ever?

Hi Daniel,

Due to the notion that a preterist view has that prophecy or prophetic type statements, that 1) nothing can ever happen in a future tense ; the preterist must say that 2) every scripture that they can not explain can not be literal . If for no other reason that if a preterist says that anything at all will happen in the future then it opens up a door they do not want to explore simply cause of the risk involved that 3) they can be wrong about their point of view on other matters.

Jesus spoke of "this generation" speaking of specific events that will happen , that did not happen in biblical times and has not yet happened and it will be the generation that will see the coming of the LORD Jesus returning to earth –Danielzk

1) It all happened in a future tense, we just disagree on how far in the future.

2) The fact is that I take many statements as literal. I take ‘this generation’ as the generation that Jesus was addressing in the 1st century.

3) Yes, I could be wrong and that is why I try to support my arguments with Scripture, so that we can argue/discuss/reason these points out concerning specific passages. I look to the authority of God’s word as my starting point, hopefully not the self-sufficiency of my own logic or intellect, or not just the popular view or what someone feels is the correct interpretation 20 centuries later. You have a view that you have built on because you feel it is biblical and so do I, a view that you feel best interprets what God’s word actually says, and so do I. We both have difficult passages that neither of us have all the answers to. The point is that I refer to God’s word as my ultimate/highest authority, not someone else’s interpretation. I have presented you with as many valid points as you feel you have with me. I feel history backs these events as happening in biblical times. Josephus describes many of the events mentioned in Matthew 24. So does the Bible.

Are we still talking of ‘this generation’ in Matthew 24 or elsewhere, because I believe every other mention of the term ‘this generation’ refers specifically to that 1st century generation. I believe in the context of Matthew 24, without reading into the text, Jesus is speaking to His disciples and I believe other passages of Scripture confirm this also, like the mirror verse in Luke 17:20-34. Do you affirm or deny this, Danielzk?

Now if every other time ‘this generation’ is used it refers to that 1st century generation, why would it be different in this one instance?

I believe every one of those events of Matthew 24 can be attributed to the 1st century and most are evidenced as having happened by Scripture. History also confirms many of these.

I believe every one of those events of Matthew 24 can be attributed to the 1st century and most are evidenced as having happened by Scripture. History also confirms many of these.

I

When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. Matthew 24:15-22

Think

Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Behold, I have told you before.

Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Matthew 24:23-27

Not

For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. Matthew 24:28-30

Do You?

For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. Romans 11:25-27

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Even though I favor a full Preterist approach to Scripture I'm also open to the partial-Preterist position, I just do not find the Scriptures as supportive of this view. The partial Preterist believes in a final coming of the Lord Jesus Christ whereas the Preterist sees His coming as happening in the first century. The Preterist also sees this coming to earth by Jesus as spiritual in nature, not physical.

Peter

Personally, I disagree with the Preterist view of the book of Revelation.

The Preterist view of Revelation. Preter, which means “past,” is derived from the Latin. Two major views among Preterists: Full Preterism and Partial Preterism. Both views believe that the prophecies of the Olivet discourse of Matthew 24 and Revelation were fulfilled in the first century with the fall of Jerusalem in AD 70.

First, the events described in Jesus’ Olivet Discourse and in Revelation 4-19 differ in several ways from the fall of Jerusalem. One example is that Christ described his return to Jerusalem this way:

Mt. 24:27

[A]s lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

Second, Preterists tend to believe this refers to the Roman army’s advance on Jerusalem. However, there are some issues with this.

Third, the Roman army advanced in its attack on Jerusalem from west to east, and their assault was not as a quick lightning strike. The other issue is the Jewish war lasted for several years before Jerusalem was besieged, and the city fell after a very lengthy siege. How does one justify this from a Preteris perspective?

Fourth, there is no evidence General Titus set up an “abomination of desolation” (Matt. 24:15) in the Jerusalem Temple as foretold in the Bible. Rather, Titus destroyed the Temple and proceeded to burn it to the ground. By conclusion the Preterist is required to allegorize or stretch the metaphors and symbols in order to find fulfillment of the prophecies in the fall of Jerusalem. This is important to remember.

Fifth, the Preterist position relies on a pre-AD 70 date of writing by John of the book of Revelation. However, a majority of New Testament scholars date the writing of the book to closer to AD 95. Why? If John had written Revelation after AD 70, the book could not have been a prophecy of the fall of Jerusalem. This presents a significant argument against the Preterist position.

Sixth, Preterists point to several lines of evidence for a pre-AD 70 date of writing. John does not mention the fall of the Jerusalem Temple. If he had been writing two decades after the event, it seems strange that he never mentioned this catastrophic event. Wouldn’t you agree?

Seventh, John does not refer to either Jesus’ prophecy of the destruction of the Temple (Mt. 24, Mk. 13, Lk. 21) or the fulfillment of this prophecy.

Eighth, in Revelation 11:1, John is told to “measure the temple of God and the altar, and count the worshipers there.” Where are these worshipers as the temple is no longer a place of worship?

God bless,

GE

See: http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.5110361/k.5D09/Four_Views_of_Revelation.htm

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Moving this to an appropriate forum...

God bless,

GE

Hi GoldenEagle,

I don't have time to address much of your post although I feel you raise some interesting points that I would like to respond to at a future time. Although Josephus does note the Roman armies entering the land from the east and coming westward across the land, I don't think, in the context, that is the best interpretation of the verse. What Preterist's quote this verse as the Roman army being its fulfillment? I think the language speaks for itself, that as lightning is visible so will the coming of the Son of Man be. Visible or evident that is. I believe Jesus is using a metaphor to bring an image of His coming to the hearers mind. If His presence was localized then it would be like 'There He is in the desert' or 'Here He is in the inner rooms' but His presence is going to cover such an immense area that it would be like lightning coming from the east to the west. This imagery also conveys suddenness and swiftness, like lightning with His coming on judgment of OT Israel, IMO. This judgment would come upon this generation He was addressing. 'So if anyone tells YOU...' He is speaking to His disciples and answering the three pronged question of Matthew 24:3. In Luke 17:20-37 this same kind of theme is present. The Pharisees asked Jesus when the kingdom of God/heaven would come. Jesus said that the kingdom would not come with their careful observation

Luke 17:21-25

21 nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is within[a] you.”

22 Then he said to his disciples, “The time is coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you will not see it. 23 Men will tell you, ‘There he is!’ or ‘Here he is!’ Do not go running off after them. 24 For the Son of Man in his day[b] will be like the lightning, which flashes and lights up the sky from one end to the other. 25 But first he must suffer many things and be rejected by this generation.

Footnotes:

1. Luke 17:21 Or among
  2. Luke 17:24 Some manuscripts do not have in his day.

Can you see the similarities between Matthew 24:26-27 and Luke 17:21-25 (please read)? Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees (vs. 26)and telling them about the coming of the kingdom, that it does not come with careful observation and then to the disciples (vs.22-25) He tells them that His coming in His kingdom will be similar. Men will try to draw them away by saying 'Here He is' or 'There He is' but in Jesus' day His coming will be like lightning. They will know it has come (just like they know when lightning has come), and in the context of Matthew 24, it will be when one stone of the temple is not left on top of another. That generation will not pass until all these things have come to pass.

I hope to finish your reply and the last half of the reply to Danielzk concerning Isaiah 11, 65, etc., later.

Peter

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  01/20/1987

In Genesis 17: 6-8, and in several other places of the Bible, God makes a everlasting covenant, here with Abraham to be his and his seed's God for ever. In Hebrew 8:6-13 Paul, inspired by God, repeats the words of the prophet Jeremiah that He intends to make a new covenant, and then actually carried it out, because the first was not faultless.

To me there seems to be problem in that the first covenant was not at all everlasting as is written God has promised. And I also wonder why God should make a covenant in the first place that is not faultless.

Maybe someone can give me some insights into this issue (and maybe the problem can be solved easily).

Earlier in this thread Golden Eagle listed three of the main covenants in the Bible. One of the things God promises to Abraham is that “in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed” (Gen. 12:3). I believe this is a definite foreshadowing of Jesus, for all (Jew and Gentile), and proof that the covenant is still everlasting. Abraham was faithful to God, and obeyed Him; God rewarded him with a promise. The covenant was based on Abraham’s faith, something he already had. The Hebrews 8 verses 6-13 you mention refer to the Mosaic covenant, which was based on the “if, then” that Golden Eagle talks about. They broke it, not God. God did not say that it would be everlasting, and it was faultless because the people of Israel were faultless, not God.

Jeremiah 31:31-34

“Behold, the days are coming, says theLord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah—32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the daythatI took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them,[a]says theLord.33 But thisisthe covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says theLord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know theLord,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says theLord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

The need for a new covenant was there, since the Israelites had broken the first one. This is a promise of Jesus, for the Jews. God is still the God of the Jews, or else He would have not made this promise.

Exodus 20:2-3

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 You shall have no other gods before Me. He is the God that they worship. Remember, Isaiah 6:9-10 is referring to the Jews.

9 And He said, “Go, and tell this people:

‘Keep on hearing, but do not understand;

Keep on seeing, but do not perceive.’

10 “Make the heart of this people dull,

And their ears heavy,

And shut their eyes;

Lest they see with their eyes,

And hear with their ears,

And understand with their heart,

And return and be healed.”

Some Jews do not recognize Christ. They have been made blind and deaf and cannot see the obvious. But that does not mean that God is not their God as well. As a Jew, I can assuredly tell you that the God of the Old Testament is the same God as the New Testament. At the right time, God will open their hearts to His new covenant, and to Christ.

By first fulfilling the Old Covenant, and then destroying the Old Covenant God, through Christ, brought in the greater/better everlasting covenant.

Peter

Matthew 5:17

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

P.S. @shilo357: To your remark about the order of the stars, sun and moon one might answer that the stars, though commonly called fixed, are not fixed but move and change their order, sometimes even at a speed that makes changes visible during the lifetime of a human being, if you look keen enough. Furthermore when Jesus died on the cross there was an three hour eclipse of the sun which by what is know today is only possible by heavy manipulation of the order of the solar system. So one could regard the prophecy as fulfilled by these facts, if one feel so inclined.

Hippias, I do believe you are misreading the Scripture:

Thus says the LORD, who gives the sun for light by day and the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar-- the LORD of hosts is his name: "If this fixed order departs from before me, declares the LORD, then shall the offspring of Israel cease from being a nation before me forever."

The verse says, "the fixed order," not their fixed position.

The "fixed order" the Lord speaks of is the sun giving light by day and the moon and stars giving light for night.

So this has nothing to do with stars moving or changing or dying or whatever. Likewise, the sun being covered by the moon for a few moments does not change this set order. to claim otherwise would be like claiming a battery dying violati the warranty of an item to run for a set period of time.

• Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Hippias

I am not arguing that God rejected the Jews: I just don't understand in what respect the Abrahamic covenant could possibly considered valid if God made a new covenant through Jesus which pious Jews deny and don't regard.

Furthermore, in the covenant from Genesis 17, God says that circumcision is the token of the covenant, in particular:

And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken My covenant. (Gen. 17:14)

Gen 17:3-8 Then Abram fell on his face, and God talked with him, saying: 4 “As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, and you shall be a father of many nations. 5 No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you a father of many nations. 6 I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come from you. 7 And I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you. 8 Also I give to you and your descendants after you the land in which you are a stranger, all the land of Canaan, as an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.”

The covenant that God makes with Abraham is that he will be a father of many nations. This we know as you acknowledge is in his Seed which is Christ Jesus. As Galatians says in 3:7-9 and 29 7 Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. 8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham. 29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. The blessings of God are to those who like Abraham are declared righteous by believing God. The land is given to his descendants and there the kingdom of the Lord will be set up on earth during the 1000 years reign as shown in Revelations. Circumcision was a part of the covenant given to his fleshly descendants but not his descendants which are a part of the number that is more than the stars, those who come through the promised Seed, Christ Jesus, through whom the Jewish descendants also must come. Just as the Galatians passages state, only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. Those are the children of promise, not of the flesh as Ismael, but through the promised seed such as Isaac. They were types of the flesh and the promise seed. That is why Abraham knew that if he killed Isaac, God would raise him from the dead because he believed God when God told him he would be the father of many nations through Isaac. Heb 11:17-20 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, 18 of whom it was said, “In Isaac your seed shall be called,” 19 concluding that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead, from which he also received him in a figurative sense. Here Paul speaks of those circumcised and those not in Romans 4:9-12 Does this blessedness then come upon the circumcised only, or upon the uncircumcised also? For we say that faith was accounted to Abraham for righteousness. 10 How then was it accounted? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised. 11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while still uncircumcised, that he might be the father of all those who believe, though they are uncircumcised, that righteousness might be imputed to them also, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also walk in the steps of the faith which our father Abraham had while still uncircumcised.

I am very well aware that Jesus did not curse all Jews in Matthew but gave you a scriptural example why it is hard to understand for me why God should be considered the God of ALL of Abraham's off-spring - no doubt the Pharisee's mentioned did have a common belief that was shared more or less by most of the contemporary Jews, and not to forget: Phariseeism became the dominant school of Judaism!

Furthermore, Jesus says: "21 “Not every one that saith unto Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven, but he that doeth the will of My Father who is in Heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that Day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name, and in Thy name have cast out devils, and in Thy name done many wonderful works?’ 23 And then will I profess unto them, ‘I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity.’" (Matthew 7:21-3) How is God the god of the many of Abraham's seed addressed here? I just don't see it.

This is where I see your confusion, the unbelieving Jew is not Abraham's descendant in the covenant that God made with him. Only those who are children of faith like Abraham had are sons of Abraham. That is why Jesus told them several times that were they Abraham's seed they would believe in Him. John 8:37-47 “I know that you are Abraham’s descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. 38 I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have seen with your father.” 39 They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.”

Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the deeds of your father.” Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father—God.” 42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. 46 Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? 47 He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”

Very strong words here from the Lord Himself to those who claimed to be God's children by their birthright, but they were not children of Abraham by faith in the promised Seed, Christ Jesus. But in the latter time as Paul says in Rom 11:25 the Jews will come to the Lord as a nation, I believe during the tribulation and they will turn to Jesus in faith and go into the kingdom which they were looking for while Jesus walked on earth, but the kingdom then was in those of faith as Jesus said in Luke.