• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

Luke 12:49-53

49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?

50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!

51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.

53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

----------------------------

Luke 11:17

17 But he, knowing their thoughts, said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and a house divided against a house falleth.

greetings brothers and sisters in Christ..

although the verse from chapter 11 of Luke is more in context with "Jesus vs Beelzebub", i believe these two passages correlate well.

i would like to explore the central concept our Lord Jesus Christ expressed to us here.. of a divided house, and how we can apply Scripture to such situations where it's disclosed to us that there will be no peace.

we are told that there will be division.

the blind among those that have the grace to see within one household..

a microcosm to the macrocosm of the state of this world..

we are called to holy living, and to be living examples exhibiting the fruits of the Spirit.

but how does that apply in co-existing with members of one's family, or spouse, who may even claim to be Christian, but have obviously not been born again?

thoughts, comments?

love to you all and God bless..

• 2 weeks later...

no thoughts or comments? anyone? :hmmm:

i won't bump this again, i promise. :biggrin2:

thanks for replying Brother Mike. :biggrin2:

which kingdoms do you believe the Lord spoke of here? physical or spiritual? both?

locally speaking, i believe i have experienced this to some effect among family and very close friends.

not much choice for most about the family they keep in their company, apart from spouses.

i guess i was wondering if anyone is willing to share their experience(s) of being/feeling alienated due to their proclamation of faith..and whether or not they have felt compelled to..make compromises.

too personal?

love to you. :heart:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

The scripture is straight forward and clear in its warning. Houses become divided due to not everyone in the house receiving and walking in the truth. My own home was divided due to this same problem. Today, there is only one in my home, me. Everyone else left because they didn't believe they could or had to actually be obedient unto Christ. That one lone fact is enough to divide any house. Jesus came for certain reasons, one of which was to show us that we can do what we ought to do.

The scripture is straight forward and clear in its warning. Houses become divided due to not everyone in the house receiving and walking in the truth. My own home was divided due to this same problem. Today, there is only one in my home, me. Everyone else left because they didn't believe they could or had to actually be obedient unto Christ. That one lone fact is enough to divide any house. Jesus came for certain reasons, one of which was to show us that we can do what we ought to do.

thanks for sharing, Gary.

i appreciate seeing an agreeable perspective in another's words.

i myself lost my best childhood friend of over 20 years due to my faith.

i wouldn't shut up about it, and he insisted on telling me to shut up. we eventually came to a "compromise" where neither of us were to bring up politics or religion. :taped:

the Lord had other plans, because he continued to use extremely foul language in my presence, and repeated attempts of enticing me to revert back to my worldly ways. i had to remind him.

the point came where i had to make a decision. we are not to be unequally yoked with non-believers.

he is a staunch atheist. we got into it, and i destroyed his arguments. we haven't spoken since.

i wonder if in my born again zealous fervor i should have attempted to win a soul, and instead could have lost the argument. i continue to pray for him..

as far as family goes, i've got 2 uncles and 2 cousins who don't call or visit anymore. completely cold, and cut off.

i am at peace, but i understand it may not be as easy for some experiencing this.

most especially the newer younger believers..i thank God for His grace in maturing me at my young age..

do we as shining lights continue to reach out to the people in our lives like this?

love to you all, and God bless.

Edited by BlessedByTheBest

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

do we as shining lights continue to reach out to the people in our lives like this?

We continue to live the life and shine our light as Jesus said "Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." So that they will see our works. He didn't mention our words here. Are we reaching out to the lost with our works or words? There is an appropriate time for each.

We continue to live the life and shine our light as Jesus said "Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." So that they will see our works. He didn't mention our words here. Are we reaching out to the lost with our works or words? There is an appropriate time for each.

i agree.. but aren't our works also the cause of division. i understand this is situation-dependent..is all we can do is present them in our prayers?

i pray they do not view my obedience and works as a form of self-righteousness. the thing is when people choose to distance themselves from you, as much as we would like to perhaps be around to influence, we can't just impose ourselves on them..and so speech seems to be the answer no?

i guess i was wondering if anyone is willing to share their experience(s) of being/feeling alienated due to their proclamation of faith..and whether or not they have felt compelled to..make compromises.

Never compromise.

BlessedByTheBest

i agree.. but aren't our works also the cause of division. i understand this is situation-dependent..is all we can do is present them in our prayers?

.... both of them did not bother to go Before God and getting the OK to marry each other....

Then Again

The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD. Hosea 1:2