IGNORED

What is the best way to interpret Song of Songs?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know sometimes we just gloss over this book but I've been reading through the OT and came accross this question.

I believe the Songs of Songs (Song of Solomon) should be interpreted literally as a love depiction of Solomon, The Shulamite, and the witnessed by those such as the Daughters of Jerusalem. It should be treated as a series of intimate love poems between lovers and the love witnessed by those around them.

The first reason for this is the book was placed in Biblical Canon with the wisdom books of Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Job – all to be taken literally. A second reason is the symbolism breaks down throughout the passioniate language of the book.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I've heard some interpreting 3 main characters: Solomon, the Shulamite, and the Shepherd Lover. In this interpretation, Solomon is the bad guy. The argument is that we see a picture of Satan with his multiple wives and concubines trying to seduce the Bride away from the Shepherd.

But I have to wonder why Solomon would write a a Song of Songs that portrayed himself as the bad guy?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

I believe it is an allegory of Christ's love for the Church. :heart:

I've heard some interpreting 3 main characters: Solomon, the Shulamite, and the Shepherd Lover. In this interpretation, Solomon is the bad guy. The argument is that we see a picture of Satan with his multiple wives and concubines trying to seduce the Bride away from the Shepherd.

But I have to wonder why Solomon would write a a Song of Songs that portrayed himself as the bad guy?

He wouldn't I don't believe. Solomon is the husband and the good guy. The Shulamite is his bride. :)

Shulammite – The woman who is the object of Solomon’s love interest and bride in Song of Songs. She is the female protagonist. This title is used interchangeably as a maiden or a title. The root of the word means “perfect one, peaceable one, or pacified.”

I believe it is an allegory of Christ's love for the Church. :heart:

If Song of Songs were a symbolic book representing Christ and the Church and/or Israel and God then the sexual description would be disturbing. At least it would be to me. What do you think?

Also it is placed with wisdom books in the Bible which would indicate that the early Church fathers thought it should be taken literally perhaps?

This book portrays the importance of the healthy sexual relationship in marriage. It stands in contrast to the Law where the sexual relationship is corrupted such as adultery, homosexuality, etc. It also contrasts with the idea of the worldly woman in Proverbs to show where sexual advances are natural, joyful, and a blessing. This book shows that a man can enjoy his wife and a woman can enjoy her husband.

God is love. God's love is eternal. This is God's greatest quality. We are made in God’s image to be sexual creatures. This includes emotions and physical attraction. That’s a good thing.

This book is very helpful to me in understanding the love between a man and a woman. I read it a few times as a single man. Being married and re-reading it brings this book to life. While I don’t believe it is symbolic it has helped me understand the longing that God has for His people.

God bless,

GE

Love

Yes brother I agree but is it allegorical or not in your opinion? :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

If Song of Songs were a symbolic book representing Christ and the Church and/or Israel and God then the sexual description would be disturbing. At least it would be to me. What do you think?

It is marital love that is being described. Such love is beautiful, and is blessed by God. It is symbolic of our status and union as Christ's bride.

Also it is placed with wisdom books in the Bible

I don't believe it's placing has anything to do with it.

It is marital love that is being described. Such love is beautiful, and is blessed by God. It is symbolic of our status and union as Christ's bride.

According to some there are many commentaries written on this book of 8 chapters of poetry. Opinions on it are diverse as well.

Perhaps looking at Ecclesiastes along with this book is important as well? Ecclesiastes focuses on the intellect of mankind while Song of Songs the passions of mankind?

There is intellect, emotions, and will. Perhaps we shouldn't look at one individually without looking at the others?