tomwindsor

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

A few months ago our church did what some might think is an illegal act . We taped a meeting discussion , which happened to include some songs we sang . We give the tapes away for free , but it was still illegal , according to Ceasar and a few very large church copyright organizations that control the usage of most worship music .

Probably your church and many other congregations in the US (about 136,000) have signed up for and pay yearly for this license. (about $165 for 100 people etc.) Someone in your church fills out a form and informs them of how many times you sang such and such songs .

The reasons for the license sounds practicle (to give the artist their royalties ) but they have created a system which I believe is based on mechandising

( see "Trading in the House of the Lord " post) <http://www.worthyboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16152>

and makes outlaws of Christians who want no part of that system .

Let me say , I do believe we should support those who minister to others , but by freewill offering , not by a usage fee. I think most are sincere in their service to God , but if someone says " ...the Lord GAVE me this song... " why not truly GIVE it to others in the body . ?

Was it really illegal in the sight of God , that we sang some songs unto him , and recorded it to give to others as a gift ? .

In Gods grace , Tom

<www.upwardcall.net>

Edited by tomwindsor

Guest Thomas I believe

Thou shall not steal won't send us to hell, but is sin and if we steal we must make it right and repent/ restitution. God always convicts us of our sins, if we listen and know Him and what His word tells us to live by.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Actually the copy rights of many old hymns have long ended, and many many of the very old hymns come from various other sourses that do not have copy rights.

When recording material for other use, even a broad use license is normally not enough on material that has a copyright. You will have to contact the actual holder of that copyright and get written permission for use.

for alot of recordings, such as the one you mentions, they will many times merely give you persmission free for giving away non professional tapes.

In cases, such as my wife, who is a professional signer with many of her own copywriten songs, she has to pay a fee per thousand tapes sold for use of the copywitten matterial.

It is a normally a very small amount.

But then many people, merely change some parts of songs, add and change words, and alter it to a point it is no longer an infrigement. You willl see this often when professionals often come out with "thier" versions of the songs of others.

And then there are 1000's of songs, often seen on taped music for singers that either have no copyright any longer, or the writer gives permission with the purchase of the tape for its use.

Often you will find people who publish books, that copyright thier books of various old songs ( where the songs are not copyrighted) that try to make you beleive this protects the specific sons, but it normally does not, only the book itself, since the song itself in its orgianl form, is older than the book itself and the older versions would normally be free to be used.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Our church records all sermons, we start recording after the singing, or they pause the recording if there is singing in the middle.

Guest Thomas I believe
Our church records all sermons, we start recording after the singing, or they pause the recording if there is singing in the middle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like the best plan Moosegirl ! Best way not to be in a illegality(sin) is to avoid anything that would draw us into a bad situation !

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

FYI- just so all know, the Free Worship CD that Refuge Ministries is giving away is legal :24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  711
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Dear Thomas:

Thou shall not steal won't send us to hell, but is sin and if we steal we must make it right and repent/ restitution.

Where do you draw the "salvation/damnation" line????

If something has no consequences, does it really count as a sin????

If something goes against a commandment, but that action is not a sin, is the commandment wrong????.

Blessings.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

FYI- just so all know, the Free Worship CD that Refuge Ministries is giving away is legal  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO GO :24: