• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Im sorry, but I just don't see anything special about them-maybe its just me, but I don't see how theyre any different then christmas and easter. And I would also say that if your focused on christmas trees and easter egg hunts, then your missing the point of the holidays anyway, so maybe its best not to celebrate them. Sure theyre fun, but theyre not the point. The point is to remember what Christ did to us-and celebrate our freedom in Him, and you can do that regardless of what holidays you choose to celebrate-be it christmas or passover. And until I can find some solid scriptural evidence that says I have to participate in the OT holidays-Im probably not going to celebrate them.

I'm not saying you have to do anything. I am simply stating the Feasts as directed by Lord hold more meaning to His plan of redemption. 

I would not have known this had I not participated in a Passover Seder. You eat the bitter herbs that remind you of your bondage to sin, you drink from the cup of Redemption, the middle matza is broken and a piece hidden then later found by the children - a fun way to walk through Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection - the matza is eaten symbolizing receiving Jesus death and resurrection unto ourselves, and the like.

The cup of Redemption and the middle matza are what we partake of in Communion, only we miss out on the greater meaning of these elements as well as the surrounding elements that paint the entire greater picture.

So truly, I fail to understand why there is an expression of animosity towards celebrating this? 

And I would also say that if your focused on christmas trees and easter egg hunts, then your missing the point of the holidays anyway, so maybe its best not to celebrate them. Sure theyre fun, but theyre not the point. The point is to remember what Christ did to us-and celebrate our freedom in Him, 

Sure, but what do you do that celebrates Christ's birth, death and resurrection, and delivering us from sin?

The advent candle is probably the only act of celebration that we partake of.

But aside from reading Scripture of the events, singing songs, attending another service, watching a Passion performance and a Children's Nativity play - what do you do as a act of celebration to remember Jesus death and resurrection to free you from the bondages of sin?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

God's holy days are a reminder of God's promises to mankind.

In the NT we have Paul telling us in 1st Corinthians chapter 11- " Imitate me, as i imitate Christ keep the traditions as I have delivered them to you " in verses 23-28, Paul said we should follow the example Christ set. Christ kept the holy days and Paul said we should too-can't get much clearer than that for proof text.

The Holy days are to refresh us of the central role Jesus has in carrying out the master plan of God for our salvation.

Christ is our Passover.

He is the unleavened bread that purifies us.

He is the giver of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

Trumpets announce the return of Jesus Christ 

Jesus is the one tabernacles with us as King of Kings over the earth in the millennium..

Last Great day Jesus will judge mankind.

This is the conclusion of God's plan, represented by His Holy days, concerning the final destiny of human beings.

Those in Christ and in the book of life will live in all eternity with God as spiritual beings in the new heaven and earth-the Kingdom of God.

God's holy days reveal the future.-universal restoration.

If it is acknowledged that we see the people in Revelation observing the Feast of Tabernacles after the return of Jesus Christ , wouldn't it make sense to start observing it now as a beginning to understanding the rest of the Holy days leading up to that event.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

@ Nebula, usually by spending time in the word, praying, and spending time with family. Sure the other stuff is fun, but the important things are getting closer to God.

@ fruitfull. I don't mean to be rude, but your sounding like a broken record. every post says "in the old testament they did this, and in the new testament it says we should follow them" and you have yet to post any scripture references, particularly where in the new testament it tells us to follow the OT holidays. If it is acknowledged in revelations observing the feast of tabernackles-or anywhere in the new testament that states we should participate in any of the OT feasts, then please list the specific chapter and verse. I enjoy discussion, and i enjoy debates-so please list the specific passages. Otherwise I have nothing more to say here. :D

@ Nebula, usually by spending time in the word, praying, and spending time with family. Sure the other stuff is fun, but the important things are getting closer to God.

OK, I guess it's just a matter of priorities (and I don't mean that is a superior-inferior way).

I find value in acts of remembrance I guess you don't find meaning in such?

But my point is not to convince you to partake; rather, to beg you to please stop treating these feasts as something to be devalued and tossed aside (which is how your posts have come across). Case in point, the "other stuff" is not about being "fun" as you claimed here; it's about acts of remembrance.

Think of it as tactile learning rather than visual and auditory learning.

In this case, the Feasts give you the tactile experience of partaking in the ministry of God, while reading the word and praying give you visual and auditory experiences of reflecting on what God has done and will do.

Note: I enjoy the family time I spend at Christmas, too, but I just don't get the sense of truly celebrating what God has done from this. Reading or listening to scripture doesn't give me a sense of celebrating. Prayer, like I do every day, doesn't give me a sense of celebrating something particularly special, either. If it does for you, great. But for me, it doesn't.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

Im sorry, but I just don't see anything special about them-maybe its just me, but I don't see how theyre any different then christmas and easter. And I would also say that if your focused on christmas trees and easter egg hunts, then your missing the point of the holidays anyway, so maybe its best not to celebrate them. Sure theyre fun, but theyre not the point. The point is to remember what Christ did to us-and celebrate our freedom in Him, and you can do that regardless of what holidays you choose to celebrate-be it christmas or passover. And until I can find some solid scriptural evidence that says I have to participate in the OT holidays-Im probably not going to celebrate them.

I'm not saying you have to do anything. I am simply stating the Feasts as directed by Lord hold more meaning to His plan of redemption. 

I would not have known this had I not participated in a Passover Seder. You eat the bitter herbs that remind you of your bondage to sin, you drink from the cup of Redemption, the middle matza is broken and a piece hidden then later found by the children - a fun way to walk through Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection - the matza is eaten symbolizing receiving Jesus death and resurrection unto ourselves, and the like.

The cup of Redemption and the middle matza are what we partake of in Communion, only we miss out on the greater meaning of these elements as well as the surrounding elements that paint the entire greater picture.

So truly, I fail to understand why there is an expression of animosity towards celebrating this? 

I often give Passover seders for Christian groups going over the seder, and using NT scripture of the last supper to show what was actually happening in relationship to what Jesus was saying and what was happening. Those who attend are often excited, and tell me they were blessed by understanding more of what was happening and what it meant in relation to the symbolism from the seder. It does give a fuller understanding. So, what you are saying, I have heard from many other Christians. Jesus was fulfilling the meaning of the Passover seder and transferring it to the New Covenant, in memory of Him, and there is much more to it then is shown in the Communion service.   

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

Just a quick personal story.

When I accepted Jesus as the Messiah, I had read the NT. I was still a member of the synagogue and had a job in the synagogue. I was principal of the synagogue religious school. I was a teacher of the law. At first I didn't tell anyone about my belief in Jesus. (I was fired when I did tell.)

It was a couple of months after I accepted Jesus when it was the time of Passover. In my position, I organized a communal Passover seder for the synagogue. While Passover is normally celebrated by families in their homes, there were some who were single, or attending a local college and could not travel to their family homes who would come to the Passover seder. As we were celebrating the seder in the synagogue, my first time after realizing who Jesus was, I started to see that the Passover seder was actually about Jesus. I was becoming more and more excited as I remembered the NT account of the last supper. All I could think was how amazing God was to give us these Holy Days which were actually all about the Messiah. I have been giving Passover seders for Christians ever since.

If you have the opportunity to attend a Passover seder with the NT explained in it, I would recommend it. The missionary group called Jews for Jesus gives a very good Passover seder in churches. The one I give is different, but I have friends who work for Jews for Jesus as missionaries to the Jewish people, so I am familiar with what Jews for Jesus missionaries present, and think it is worth the time.    

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

@ nebula. If it comes across as "you should pass them off" I apologize. Never my attention. I said more then once if you want to celebrate them and they draw you closer to God then do so. My point wasn't that we shouldn't its that its not a biblical requirement anymore, that were not under the old covenant and are not bound by it-and the idea we have to because they did it in the OT then its being legalistic which defeats the purpose of the festival in the first place. If you want to celebrate them then that's great- but do so to get closer to God, not because you have to.

@ nebula. If it comes across as "you should pass them off" I apologize. Never my attention. I said more then once if you want to celebrate them and they draw you closer to God then do so.

OK. :)

My point wasn't that we shouldn't its that its not a biblical requirement anymore, that were not under the old covenant and are not bound by it-and the idea we have to because they did it in the OT then its being legalistic which defeats the purpose of the festival in the first place.

OK. I don't think anyone, though, was trying to preach obligation.

I personally think they are better, but certainly not a requirement.

If you want to celebrate them then that's great- but do so to get closer to God, not because you have to.

Which is what I was trying to advocate. :)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

When Jesus says do as I do in the NT-follow me in my ways-that is a commandment to follow His example and His traditions, one of which was keeping the Holy day festivals, if you want eternal life.

Paul reiterated that to the gentiles in the NT church.

I would be like a broken record if I repeat all the scripture already on this thread calling for us to follow God's commandments including the Holy days. 

My problem is, people want absolute concrete proof without any doubt or faith being needed, to have direct orders to keep God's commandments and traditions verse for verse from the Bible yet they will blindly accept man made pagan themed Christian holidays without any question or proof whatsoever.

Zach 14:16-19 -shows in the end time under Christ's reign on earth, we will be forced to keep the Feast of Tabernacles, as man fails to honor it now.

There is a start and an ending to God's Holy day plan. The millennium is the final stage of God's plan and since Tabernacles represents that, we no longer see the earlier holy days mentioned. Although just because some days are not mentioned it does not mean they will be abandoned. we don't know yet.

When Jesus said we have to keep His commandments He named 3 or 4 of them when asked. Just because He didn't mention them all doesn't mean they were no longer in effect.

The Spiritual aspect of the NT is used by many to forego the physical requirements still needed to be a true Christian-our works. 

Edited by fruitfull77