• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

Hi Thomas, good to hear from ya and even that your posting from Germany.  (I've got some recent Germanic heritage in my family)  I agree with your sentiments but disagree with some of the details and conclusions.

On the Conflict thesis, that detail is important because some atheists do follow it literally at times or at least it seems to be a theme in certain atheist works (i.e. Pillars of the Earth, TV show).   I've seen variations of this poster on atheist web sites which seems to literally imply the Conflict Thesis.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread829321/pg1

And of course if a person really studies history and science they know that this isn't a fair depiction of history.  

Thank you, Addai,

now I know better what you've ment.

My personal stance is that the Roman Catholic Church did hinder science in those days. My example is the penalties imposed on Galileo.

Thomas

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/07/1967

Hi alpha.   I was talking more in generalities than specifics.

Some folks would use the numbers to imply things. Not that you were guilty of doing such things, but more in terms of "food for thought" for other times when such issue are raised.   (I've seen atheists quote figures to give stereotypical depictions etc.).

but again, no worries. and take care.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

Hi Thomas, good to hear from ya and even that your posting from Germany.  (I've got some recent Germanic heritage in my family)  I agree with your sentiments but disagree with some of the details and conclusions.

On the Conflict thesis, that detail is important because some atheists do follow it literally at times or at least it seems to be a theme in certain atheist works (i.e. Pillars of the Earth, TV show).   I've seen variations of this poster on atheist web sites which seems to literally imply the Conflict Thesis.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread829321/pg1

And of course if a person really studies history and science they know that this isn't a fair depiction of history.

Thank you, Addai,

now I know better what you've ment.

My personal stance is that the Roman Catholic Church did hinder science in those days. My example is the penalties imposed on Galileo.

Thomas

Hey, but they've finally decided to forgive Galileo.  Better late than never!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Some of the issues in the church(es) as for how to react to science, have to do with historical reasons. When the science in the West kind of began to take its first steps in the direction as how we today recognize it, along with other development at a time, the consequences were not so neat. The industries were heating on, factories, people moving to the cities from the countryside, all that. Add to that the revolutions all across the Europe and in the world of that time in general.

So, obviously, the reality did not portrait the coming paradigm as some overtly messianic phenomenon to save the mankind. Surely almost the opposite seemed more true.

But that is not the whole story, sure there are the politics and power struggles combined. From the side of the science too, of course.

The longer I have been around, the more I have become convinced the Word is the real source of value. Even after checking some pretty cutting edge stuff, I have started to recognize the scent of my home from the basic gospel. It is good to know stuff, that's not what I am saying, but the knowledge too often creates pride and we all know too well where does that lead to.

Edited by Diatheosis

The longer I have been around, the more I have become convinced the Word is the real source of value. Even after checking some pretty cutting edge stuff, I have started to recognize the scent of my home from the basic gospel. It is good to know stuff, that's not what I am saying, but the knowledge too often creates pride and we all know too well where does that lead to.

:thumbsup:

Science Is Dimly Reading The Laws Of Plumbing

He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end. Ecclesiastes 3:11

Whereas The LORD Is

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1

The Law

Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever. Jeremiah 31:35-36

Man

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephesians 3:9