Fez

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  44

I have never been a member of a church either. The church I attend (irregular attendance at best) does the membership thing. Not sure what it is about...was never interested. My father, who is a preacher, NOT a pastor, never got involved in membership, and he has attended the same church since I was born. He just doesn't take to the whole membership idea.

I have somehow understood the membership idea as more of a tithe thing...you are expected as a member to tithe to that church only...but May gift to other things. I have never been one to tithe, we put a few dollars in when the offering plate goes around, but my real " tithe" goes directly to people I know are in need...be they strangers or known to us.

I may be totally wrong in this assumption of membership though. I am interested in hearing more about the membership roles as well

Hey BFP I see your perspective... Regarding this in bold I would be curious as to your thoughts to regarding local church expenses as well. What do you think?

I was attending a  wonderful big popular church..My daughter was going with me.We were told several things to do to become a member of the church which were really wanted to do.It took us alot of time to achieve these things.Then the night came when the members were recognized.My daughter and I were really looking forward to it.But when we opened the program we noticed that our names were not on it.We asked one of the Elders.He said "Oh no you have to be interviewed by the elders".Not only was i disillusioned but I was highly disappionted and so was my daughter.We said forget it.We will just attend.I don't think Jesus would like that.

I would've walked out and never looked back. If church membership is decided according to our works, odds are the church's focus is on works and not the Gospel.

Man, the church membership wasn't decided according to works... Sounds like the final step (typically there is a membership class prior to an interview) was the interview with the elders. Personally, I think it was either a misunderstanding on the part of the elders or bobeep or possibly both. See Can you see it from that perspective?

I was a member of a large church for 7 years  Memberships was required to join any ministry.

As a member you were requested to attend a new members class.

The classes provided some foundation christian teaching, and church history. The church was 104 years old, and it was on its 4th Pastor.   Membership provided a greater level of communication with what the church was doing in the community, and around the world along with providing an avenue for getting connected and involved. 

Exactly Enoc. :thumbsup:

In some local churches there is the idea that people want to make sure those in leadership are Believers (wouldn't want non-Beleivers leading a ministry in the church IMO) and in agreement with some basic doctrines...

Why did God get angry at David numbering Israel though?

It always feels like being numbered or something. And it might not be the case in the US so much but records of names in times of persecution wouldnt really wise, I always try to stay out of someone elses filing cabinet.

lol, I couldnt resist GE (how you doing bro?)

Hey sister. ;) Lol. Sorry meant to get to this earlier. Been busy moving to a new house. How about you?

Regarding David and the census... That is a good question. So I dug a little deeper. It seems to me that Scripture would say that Satan incited David to take the census..

1 Chron. 21:1-2

Then Satan stood against Israel and incited David to number Israel. So David said to Joab and the commanders of the army, “Go, number Israel, from Beersheba to Dan, and bring me a report, that I may know their number.”

However, the wording of 2 Samuel 24 says that it was God who “incited David” to take the census. This discrepancy in  can be explained by the understanding that sometimes God sovereignly permits Satan to act in order to achieve His purposes. This is found in other places in Scripture. Take God allowing Satan to wreck havoc on Job's life for example.

2 Sam. 24:1-4

Again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, “Go, number Israel and Judah.” So the king said to Joab, the commander of the army,who was with him, “Go through all the tribes of Israel, from Dan to Beersheba, and number the people, that I may know the number of the people.” But Joab said to the king, “May the Lord your God add to the people a hundred times as many as they are, while the eyes of my lord the king still see it, but why does my lord the king delight in this thing?” But the king's word prevailed against Joab and the commanders of the army. So Joab and the commanders of the army went out from the presence of the king to number the people of Israel.

Church membership has less to do with census and more to do with accountability from my perspective. And it is clear to me from Scripture that David was not following God's will in 2 Sam 24 in light of 1 Chron. 21... Often people overlook 1 Chron. 21... What do you think?

I made a case for church membership and the passages listed. What did you think about those specific passages?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

Golden Eagle...regarding a post you wrote quoting me....that is no longer here for whatever reason. Anyway here is my take on church expenses...

I really believe that churches have gotten way off base...they have created for themselves a multitude of expenses that are not required to share the gospel. Sound equipment being one of them. Programs...ugh! Where have we managed to get so far off base? The gospel is not about programs, sound equipment, etc etc. it is about getting to know Christ as a personal savior. Can you get to know Christ personally simply by attending church? No! That is something you have to do on your own time. But many are deceived into thinking the church building is the house of The Lord...it isn't, it is simply a building that has gone so far off base that I fear everything else involved in the building has become almost more important than the very reason we attend.

There is a book online, you can get it in PDF format and read it...called " so you don't want to go to church anymore " this thread actually led me to it in a round about way.

It is an amazing eye opener about the church as we know it today. NOT that it is meant to discourage church attendance, it is neither for or against the church. you have to read it with wisdom...but it sure does touch the soul. It is a fictional story, with a lot of truth in the pages.

Relationship with Jesus is the key to the Kingdom

Oh, and I did find the post above, lol

Golden Eagle

Church discipline won’t work if local church membership doesn’t exist. It's really that simple.

Why would one have  to have their name written in a membership book to be part of that fellowship.? I was part of a large fellowship who never kept a record of the folk who attended the meetings...discipline was metered out and received as it ought to have been...order in the meetings clearly evident we were all accountable to the Elders no problem at all... I really don't see the reason for having your name in a record book.....

That is good that your experience and the church you attended church discipline was done as it ought to have been. :thumbsup:

The idea is that if someone isn't a member and they don't agree with what the local church elders decided they can just "church hop" to another church and not address the issue/sin in their lives.

Not to mention all the other passages I presented in What did you think about the passages in that post?

Golden Eagle...regarding a post you wrote quoting me....that is no longer here for whatever reason. Anyway here is my take on church expenses...

I really believe that churches have gotten way off base...they have created for themselves a multitude of expenses that are not required to share the gospel. Sound equipment being one of them. Programs...ugh! Where have we managed to get so far off base? The gospel is not about programs, sound equipment, etc etc. it is about getting to know Christ as a personal savior. Can you get to know Christ personally simply by attending church? No! That is something you have to do on your own time. But many are deceived into thinking the church building is the house of The Lord...it isn't, it is simply a building that has gone so far off base that I fear everything else involved in the building has become almost more important than the very reason we attend.

There is a book online, you can get it in PDF format and read it...called " so you don't want to go to church anymore " this thread actually led me to it in a round about way.

It is an amazing eye opener about the church as we know it today. NOT that it is meant to discourage church attendance, it is neither for or against the church. you have to read it with wisdom...but it sure does touch the soul. It is a fictional story, with a lot of truth in the pages.

Hey Sister the post I quoted in post #21 I believe your referencing is your It's still there on my screen? Can you not see it on yours?

I guess I wasn't clear with my questions... When you got to a church do they have lights (electricity) on? Can you use the bathrooms and wash your hands (water)? Do you enjoy worshiping God through songs and the instruments (piano, organ, guitar, drums, base, keyboard, etc.) provided? Depneding on the size of the church not having sound equipment means the pastor/speaker and any prayers/Scripture reading has to be done while projecting the voice... Some people are not able to project thier voices well so that would mean they wouldn't  be able to participate in said aspects of worshiping God together...

Where did I mention any programs? I simply mentioned the day-to-day expenses that churches incur IMO. Curious. :noidea:

All these things that we enjoy when participating in a church cost money. I am able to enjoy these benefits so I think I should contribute towards said expenses. Can you see it from that perspective?

There is no question that the Gospel, Jesus Christ, and a relationship with God is key to the Kingdom of God. I think sometimes we as Believers loose sight of the more mundane things such as paying the electricity or water bill... ;)

I have never been a member of a church either. The church I attend (irregular attendance at best) does the membership thing. Not sure what it is about...was never interested. My father, who is a preacher, NOT a pastor, never got involved in membership, and he has attended the same church since I was born. He just doesn't take to the whole membership idea.

I have somehow understood the membership idea as more of a tithe thing...you are expected as a member to tithe to that church only...but May gift to other things. I have never been one to tithe, we put a few dollars in when the offering plate goes around, but my real " tithe" goes directly to people I know are in need...be they strangers or known to us.

I may be totally wrong in this assumption of membership though. I am interested in hearing more about the membership roles as well

Hey BFP I see your perspective... Regarding this in bold I would be curious as to your thoughts to regarding local church expenses as well. What do you think?

As far as tithing goes, for me...would you like an example? The Lord has been leading me to those in need more than ever lately. In the last two weeks I have been called to pay a singles moms dental bill...and bring food to two different families to help them through crisis. I would never have been able to do that had I given to the offering plate instead. I think that people are most important to God, and would have been quite dismayed if I had given to sound equipment or building expenses before giving to those in need.

Hey Sister the post I quoted in post #21 I believe your referencing is your It's still there on my screen? Can you not see it on yours?

I guess I wasn't clear with my questions... When you got to a church do they have lights (electricity) on? Can you use the bathrooms and wash your hands (water)? Do you enjoy worshiping God through songs and the instruments (piano, organ, guitar, drums, base, keyboard, etc.) provided? Depneding on the size of the church not having sound equipment means the pastor/speaker and any prayers/Scripture reading has to be done while projecting the voice... Some people are not able to project thier voices well so that would mean they wouldn't  be able to participate in said aspects of worshiping God together...

Where did I mention any programs? I simply mentioned the day-to-day expenses that churches incur IMO. Curious. :noidea:

All these things that we enjoy when participating in a church cost money. I am able to enjoy these benefits so I think I should contribute towards said expenses. Can you see it from that perspective?

There is no question that the Gospel, Jesus Christ, and a relationship with God is key to the Kingdom of God. I think sometimes we as Believers loose sight of the more mundane things such as paying the electricity or water bill... ;)

Yes my church has water lights and heat just as any other. And I would rather have to use an outhouse, sing with voices only, and keep it simple, so that our focus can be on the people rather than the building. Many in the church and outside of the church have needs. I don't go to church for the show. When I go it is for worship and fellowship...and truth be told, that can be done with a handful of Christians anywhere.

Man, the church membership wasn't decided according to works... Sounds like the final step (typically there is a membership class prior to an interview) was the interview with the elders. Personally, I think it was either a misunderstanding on the part of the elders or bobeep or possibly both. See Can you see it from that perspective?

No, not really. 

Seems like there was a misunderstanding Sister. Either it was explained well or you didn't understand all that membership entailed? Or perhaps something else.

However, I do sympathize with the frustration. On the other hand most churches require some sort of meeting with an elder/minister/pastor. The reason for this is most churches want people to understand what salvation is (depending on the previous church membership particularly if it was a different denomination) and becoming a member is a great opportunity to share the Gospel. It is also a good opportunity for a potential member to connect with the church leadership. Then church membership never saved anybody... However, some people and/or denominations teach this. So really it's a safe guard and it also allows the leadership to meet with members.  :thumbsup: