IGNORED

The churchs responsibility with homelessness

Guest man

:t2: Yes, there is definitely something to be said for being able to muster up the humility and patience to worship and participate no matter what :)

If one has to muster up patience in order to attend a local gathering, what does that say about the gathering? 

If one is attending just for the sake of attending, that one is attending for all the wrong reasons.

Patience is needed in any church becuase we are all flawed people and we are commanded by God to be patient, bearing with each other.  If the Bible commands it, it is something we need. If you have a congregation of people who realize the need to be patient with each other, you have a healthy congregation.   It says that you have a gathering of people who are walking in the fruit of the Spirit (patience is a fruit  of the Spirit).  We always need to seek to be patient with fellow church members.

If one refuses to go to church because he doesn't want to be patient with other flawed believers, what does that say about him or his "Christianity?"  

The bible commands that the homeless be looked after. I don't see that happening.

My problems with the local church has nothing to do with flawed believers. It's the leadership within these local churches that keep me from darkening their doorways. These are blind leaders of the blind. Why would anyone want to be a member of that congregation?

Guest shiloh357

The bible commands that the homeless be looked after. I don't see that happening.

Well then you are not paying attention.  There are churches all over America that reach out to homeless people.  My church not only has a ministry to homeless  people, but to children who are developmentally disabled and to their parents.  In my city alone there are four different ministries that reach out to homeless people and over 90% of their funding and volunteer staff are members  of local churches.   One Presbyterian Church has a ministry to homeless people and it also includes serving Christmas dinner in the church for anyone who is homeless or alone on the holidays.

That you are not aware of what Churches are doing is not surprising since you see no need to go.  You simply don't know what you are talking about.

My problems with the local church has nothing to do with flawed believers. It's the leadership within these local churches that keep me from darkening their doorways. These are blind leaders of the blind. Why would anyone want to be a member of that congregation?

That is a flimsy excuse.  People who refuse to go to church always find a way to blame someone else and they can always offer over-generalized accusations about church leaders in order to justify themselves. 

There is no perfect pastor and pastors are just as flawed as any other believer.  If you are waiting for a perfect pastor or the perfect leader, there will never be anyone good enough.

There are pastors who probably have no business being pastors, but for every bad apple out there, there are thousands more who serve the Lord in holiness and pure motives and sincerely try to make a positive impact for the Kingdom of God.  You are just too lazy and to a degree, too self-righteous to search them out.  So you trump up some lame excuse that church leaders are keeping you out.   It is that self-righteous attitude that salves your conscience and gives you a convenient excuse to avoid fellowship with other believers.

I have also found (and I am not accusing you of this) that when people are not walking with the Lord, the last place they ever want to be is in the presence of other believers.

Guest shiloh357

In my city alone.....

What city are you from? I'd like to do some research on the homeless population there.

Springfield Missouri.    Our northside has many homeless and there are tent cities along a nearby highway.  Ministries we have that reach out to homeless and needy people include Victory Mission, Grand Oaks Mission, The Kitchen, The Salvation Army, the Christian foundation, to name a few.  My parent's church, every year, sponsors a "victory garden" where church members, at their own expense,  plant and nuture a huge garden of vegitables that are donated to local ministries to feed homeless and needy people.

Homelessness in our area stems from those who are mentally ill, disabled, or in some cases, by choice.  Many of those living in tent cities do so because they prefer homelessness to getting a job and paying taxes. 

The ministries listed above donate huge amounts of resrouces to the needy and homeless in our city. I think you will find that churches do a lot more than you know when it comes to reaching out to the community.  Unfortunately, it is has become vogue to parrot baseless accusations about churches not doing anything for others. 

In my city alone.....

What city are you from? I'd like to do some research on the homeless population there.

Springfield Missouri.    Our northside has many homeless and there are tent cities along a nearby highway.  Ministries we have that reach out to homeless and needy people include Victory Mission, Grand Oaks Mission, The Kitchen, The Salvation Army, the Christian foundation, to name a few.  My parent's church, every year, sponsors a "victory garden" where church members, at their own expense,  plant and nuture a huge garden of vegitables that are donated to local ministries to feed homeless and needy people.

Homelessness in our area stems from those who are mentally ill, disabled, or in some cases, by choice.  Many of those living in tent cities do so because they prefer homelessness to getting a job and paying taxes. 

The ministries listed above donate huge amounts of resrouces to the needy and homeless in our city. I think you will find that churches do a lot more than you know when it comes to reaching out to the community.  Unfortunately, it is has become vogue to parrot baseless accusations about churches not doing anything for others. 

Thank you.

Springfield's homeless student population growing

SPRINGFIELD, MO. — Springfield public school officials say at least 551 homeless students are attending schools in the city this year, an increase from the 517 reported by December of last year.

Of those students, 330 are in elementary school, 111 in high school, 95 in middle school and 15 in other areas, such as preschool, The Springfield News-Leader reported (http://sgfnow.co/1deQVJA ).

"Out of the 55 sites, there is a student designated as homeless at every site," said Lawrence Anderson, the new homeless liaison for the 25,000-student district. "It's all over the district; it's all over the community."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

SPRINGFIELD, MO. — Springfield public school officials say at least 551 homeless students are attending schools in the city this year, an increase from the 517 reported by December of last year.

Of those students, 330 are in elementary school, 111 in high school, 95 in middle school and 15 in other areas, such as preschool, The Springfield News-Leader reported (http://sgfnow.co/1deQVJA ).

"Out of the 55 sites, there is a student designated as homeless at every site," said Lawrence Anderson, the new homeless liaison for the 25,000-student district. "It's all over the district; it's all over the community."

Not getting your point?

Not getting your point?

I was just responding to this.

Well then you are not paying attention.  There are churches all over America that reach out to homeless people.  My church not only has a ministry to homeless  people, but to children who are developmentally disabled and to their parents.  In my city alone there are four different ministries that reach out to homeless people and over 90% of their funding and volunteer staff are members  of local churches.   One Presbyterian Church has a ministry to homeless people and it also includes serving Christmas dinner in the church for anyone who is homeless or alone on the holidays.

That you are not aware of what Churches are doing is not surprising since you see no need to go.  You simply don't know what you are talking about.

I actually do know what I'm talking about. 

Do a Youtube search for "Homeless Christians". There's even one there from Springfield mo. 

There are 2 christian denominations that boast close to 50 billion dollars in assets. That's not counting the other 30,000 denominations. Fifty billion dollars and there are people freezing to death, small children living in cars, people forced to brave the elements because the local churches lock their doors. 

The local church is supposed to represent the house of God. Why on earth would an organization that professes to care for the poor close their doors to these very people? There's no reason for churches to have locks on their doors.

Matthew 25

41Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink;

43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.

'44 Then they also will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?'

45 Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.'

46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

I have a feeling that none of you have ever been homeless before.  Well I have, as a young teenager  And I know well what desperation can cause an otherwise great kid to do in order to survive the streets.  Homeless children are a huge cause for concern...simply feeding them a couple of times a week right where they are (in tents, cars, under bridges etc) doesn't cut it..  They need so much more than that.  They need to be protected, and KNOW THEY ARE SAFE.  Know they have a warm bed, good food every day...and adults who love them.  Examples to follow.  Did I mention the word SAFETY??

They need you just as much as your own kids do.  If it were YOUR child on the street, would you be satisfied with the idea that there are shelters out there that are always full to the max...and I'm sure we all know what goes on in shelters and why many homeless avoid them all together...or do any of you know any of that?  Are you truly interested in knowing?  Not a place you would ever want any of your own children to be.  If it were your child would you be satisfied with simply giving to your neighborhood church and expecting that they will take car of it?  Would you feel that as long as they could find a soup kitchen that's open a couple of times a week and a tent to sleep under they are fine?

Do any of you have any idea the predators out there that take full advantage of the homeless every day?  Easy to sit in church and feel good about tossing a few dollars into a offering plate to help the homeless.  Not so easy to open you home to them is it?  Not so easy to open the church door to either in many cases

I get your point Man...

There are pastors who probably have no business being pastors, but for every bad apple out there, there are thousands more who serve the Lord in holiness and pure motives and sincerely try to make a positive impact for the Kingdom of God.  You are just too lazy and to a degree, too self-righteous to search them out.  So you trump up some lame excuse that church leaders are keeping you out.   It is that self-righteous attitude that salves your conscience and gives you a convenient excuse to avoid fellowship with other believers.

If that's true, why are there so many homeless people in this country?