• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Concerning the question posed to Jesus, "are you greater than our father Jacob?", the woman is inviting Jesus to qualify his authority just as the Pharisees did in John 8 when they also asked him if he was greater than Abraham and the Prophets. 

Consider her question as it is probing to ask if Jesus was a greater authority than the man who was awarded the name Israel by God through the angel he wrestled with as it is written "Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.".

We ought to consider the scene.  A woman comes to a well to find some dude sitting on the mouth of it who tells her to fetch her a little water while provoking her next line of questions about just how he rates in authority by telling her that she doesn't know who she is dealing with.  She quickly notes the reality of the situation that if he were some great man with living water then why is he wearied and sitting on the mouth of a well without anything to draw himself something to drink out of it.  She is being perfectly logical in her approach.  She is a realist.  How could he be someone of great importance when he was not even a man of the simplest means?

Her comparison was that Jacob not only owned the well but that he had the means to draw out water to fill his whole household but this man had nothing but made great claims via his mouth.  To which Jesus downplayed by claiming that physical water was nothing compared to what he had in his possession.  He claimed that he could give water that provided life that lasted forever.

I personally use this style of witnessing with carnal people in my everyday life.  When we speak spiritual words to carnal people they cannot get with them.  They have no basis to understand things that are spiritual in nature.  Robert Plant once wrote a lyric "cuz you know sometimes words have two meanings.", and they do.  I work to train them by referring to reading as eating or consuming words as did David in the psalms.

I consider myself a child of many fathers, first and foremost being a child of God, but also of Abraham, Jacob, Jesus, Paul, Peter and the Prophets who have all had a part in raising me, especially Samuel.  Always remember that the bible has unimaginable depth that we will spend our whole life coming to know but have to be developed into a vessel that is able to receive the deep things of God.  Jesus is the foundation of all learning. So as they might say in modern venacular, whose your daddy?  But as I understand it that is closer to the Abba in Abba Father.

Jhn 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

The Spirit was sent after Jesus left for the purpose of continuing our education as the children of God to develop us further over the last 2000 years providing more and more advanced revelation as we have become ready to receive it.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/28/1952

Concerning the question posed to Jesus, "are you greater than our father Jacob?", the woman is inviting Jesus to qualify his authority just as the Pharisees did in John 8 when they also asked him if he was greater than Abraham and the Prophets. 

Consider her question as it is probing to ask if Jesus was a greater authority than the man who was awarded the name Israel by God through the angel he wrestled with as it is written "Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.".

We ought to consider the scene.  A woman comes to a well to find some dude sitting on the mouth of it who tells her to fetch her a little water while provoking her next line of questions about just how he rates in authority by telling her that she doesn't know who she is dealing with.  She quickly notes the reality of the situation that if he were some great man with living water then why is he wearied and sitting on the mouth of a well without anything to draw himself something to drink out of it.  She is being perfectly logical in her approach.  She is a realist.  How could he be someone of great importance when he was not even a man of the simplest means?

Her comparison was that Jacob not only owned the well but that he had the means to draw out water to fill his whole household but this man had nothing but made great claims via his mouth.  To which Jesus downplayed by claiming that physical water was nothing compared to what he had in his possession.  He claimed that he could give water that provided life that lasted forever.

I personally use this style of witnessing with carnal people in my everyday life.  When we speak spiritual words to carnal people they cannot get with them.  They have no basis to understand things that are spiritual in nature.  Robert Plant once wrote a lyric "cuz you know sometimes words have two meanings.", and they do.  I work to train them by referring to reading as eating or consuming words as did David in the psalms.

I consider myself a child of many fathers, first and foremost being a child of God, but also of Abraham, Jacob, Jesus, Paul, Peter and the Prophets who have all had a part in raising me, especially Samuel.  Always remember that the bible has unimaginable depth that we will spend our whole life coming to know but have to be developed into a vessel that is able to receive the deep things of God.  Jesus is the foundation of all learning. So as they might say in modern venacular, whose your daddy?  But as I understand it that is closer to the Abba in Abba Father.

Jhn 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

The Spirit was sent after Jesus left for the purpose of continuing our education as the children of God to develop us further over the last 2000 years providing more and more advanced revelation as we have become ready to receive it.

I really can't say enough about how much I appreciated this reply, thank you brother.  It was one of those thing that you just know God orchestrated for me to read:)

I love Robert Plant, Big Log was one of my faves.

Anyway, I am reading John write now, but will be glad to see that verse again.  That verse tells me why God doesn't reveal (answer) all my questions now;)  God bless, your sister in Christ, denise