Peacock

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Is anyone aware that the Dept. of Defense is ordering 10,000 "custom made" Bibles for the US Special Operations Command?

The Bibles will contain DoD messages and images, and the International Bible Society is negotiating with the Pentagon to carry out this project. What's wrong with this picture? :whistling:

Click on the below link to read a brief article I wrote on the subject for the current edition of SoJo Mail, the online news update of Sojourners magazine.

SoJo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

So in other words it's just taking the cover and changing it and inserting text into it (commentary) that shows biblical figures that did work that was similar to their own. I really don't see the problem with that...unless of course they are changing the actual text of the Bible.

Sojourners has absolutely no credibility, imo.

The identify themselves POLITICALLY as the religious-left. This is their agenda.

That tells me all I need to know.....

The liberal media identifies christians as the religious right...but our political affiliation is not our primary identity.

Example of a Sojourner sponsor;

Religious Left Gear. Visit us at www.Turn-Left.com to get religious left bumper stickers, buttons, and shirts. Examples include: "Proud Member of the Religious Left" and "Blessed Are the Peacemakers." Makes a great Christmas gift!

Does anyone doubt that Sojourners would re-interpret the Bible if given a chance?

Does anyone doubt that they already do?

This report might even be true but I can't just accept it as such from Sojourners until I've seen them with my own eyes.

Can you qoute any of the disagreeable passages for us to see?

I think I see where the problem comes from. These Bibles are writing examples of Biblcal people who were also warriors and killed....like these special forces people do. Thus, soujerners, being a pacifistic site, would naturally object.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

The identify themselves POLITICALLY as the religious-left. This is their agenda.

The liberal media identifies christians as the religious right...but our political affiliation is not our primary identity.

Religious Left Gear. Visit us at www.Turn-Left.com to get religious left bumper stickers, buttons, and shirts. Examples include: "Proud Member of the Religious Left" and "Blessed Are the Peacemakers." Makes a great Christmas gift!

Does anyone doubt that Sojourners would re-interpret the Bible if given a chance?

This report might even be true but I can't just accept it as such from Sojourners until I've seen them with my own eyes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice of you to accuse Sojourners of wanting to "re-interpret the Bible if given the chance." What exactly do you base that on (other than the fact they have a problem with US and British forces killing upwards of 100,000 innocent Iraqi civilians -- mainly women and children -- in the Bush Administration's megalomaniacal Foreverwar Against Evil?)

Speaking of claims of no credibility, please review your example of one of SoJo's sponsors -- they sell Blessed Are the Peacemakers shirts & buttons, you say? Oh my goodness, call out the troops! These folks are quoting Jesus Christ and promoting his command to be peaceful! How dare they? :emot-questioned:

By the way, I agree with you that the media's frequent use of the phrase religious right often is employed haphazardly. Then again, considering that so many of our fellow Christians are powerful right-wing Whores of Babylon or their deceived followers, there's good reason to identify various folks as belonging to such a wholesale category of Christians.

You say that "this report might even be true but I can't just accept it as such from Sojourners until I've seen them with my own eyes." Perhaps you overlooked it, but the article -- of which I am the author -- contains a link at the end of it which takes your directly to the federal procurement database where I uncovered the "custom Bible" solicitation.

Until -- and if -- the US Special Operations Command honors a Freedom of Information Act request that I have submitted, I cannot tell you which Pentagon Passages the new Bibles will contain. Despite this, in the meantime I find it baffling that thus far all responses on this board have taken a "so what"" approach to this latest, obvious attempt by the Bush administration to co-opt, manipulate and distort our Lord's message.

It remains to be seen whether the Pentagon-provided text and images simply will show "biblical figures that did work that was similar to their own," as SuperJew inferred. Please, SuperJew, in preparation for what I hope will be the public release of the Special Ops Bibles, please give me a hint where the New Testament Gospels contain examples of such Christ-loving biblical figures.

Oh, you found none, except for what possibly will be an exaggerated tie-in by DoD to an allegorical figure in Revelation?

Yes, indeed, Doomsday approaches, and American Christians' (right-wing American Christians, that is) unique blending of militarism and nationalism with Faith likely will help usher in those Final Days.

Long live King George and his soldiers of Peace!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Replying to DoD Orders Propaganda-Altered Bibles??? :emot-questioned::24:

The International Bible Society is a wonderful organization that has printed and distributed millions of Bibles. They print various Bibles primarily in the New International Version for various outreach ministries including Bibles specifically printed for inmates, police officers, health care workers and so on. They text of the Word of God remains untouched. All they do is insert articles/devotionals of encouragement for the target audience within the Bible.

I buy a case of Bibles from them monthly at very reasonable prices and distribute them in the jail I minister in. I get a case of 16 large print Bibles NIV printed on good paper delivered to my door for $78. Not a bad investment.

Peacock, you have implied some false accusations here. I would be more careful in who I accuse and ensure you do not misstate the TRUTH and mislead the brethren.

Be Blessed,

Wayne

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

WARNING TO ALL

In accordance with our new board policy, if this thread turns out to be a "conspiracy alert", it will be deleted post-haste.

Discussion regarding the IBS or the new Bible specifically printed for the United States Army if fine as long as it does not turn into a political conspiracy and/or attack on the current adminstration.

Therefore, feel free to discuss within the Terms of Service.

Be Blessed,

Wayne

New Board Policy

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, yuck. Thanks for the heads-up YOD. I can always count on you for the straight truth.

By the way, I agree with you that the media's frequent use of the phrase religious right often is employed haphazardly. Then again, considering that so many of our fellow Christians are powerful right-wing Whores of Babylon or their deceived followers, there's good reason to identify various folks as belonging to such a wholesale category of Christians.

you sound like a real peacemaker to me alright.

You say that "this report might even be true but I can't just accept it as such from Sojourners until I've seen them with my own eyes." Perhaps you overlooked it, but the article -- of which I am the author -- contains a link at the end of it which takes your directly to the federal procurement database where I uncovered the "custom Bible" solicitation.

Until -- and if -- the US Special Operations Command honors a Freedom of Information Act request that I have submitted, I cannot tell you which Pentagon Passages the new Bibles will contain.

So you don't even know what is actually "in" these 0h-so-satanic-republican bibles...but we should be alarmed because you say so in some pacifist politically motivated magazine?

Despite this, in the meantime I find it baffling that thus far all responses on this board have taken a "so what"" approach to this latest, obvious attempt by the Bush administration to co-opt, manipulate and distort our Lord's message

Oh we see the obvious just fine....

:emot-questioned:

Oh sweet, a militant pacifist....you guys are easy.

When Jesus was talking about pacifism, for one, he was speaking on the personal level and not on a governmental level. Thus any hateful words or words that are not said out of humility and love and that are not condemning would be considered "militeristic" under God's definition of them. Thus calling us the whores of babylon and condemning Bush and those that follow him basically to hell, you are fooling yourself by calling yourself a biblical pacifist.

As for this comment:

It remains to be seen whether the Pentagon-provided text and images simply will show "biblical figures that did work that was similar to their own," as SuperJew inferred. Please, SuperJew, in preparation for what I hope will be the public release of the Special Ops Bibles, please give me a hint where the New Testament Gospels contain examples of such Christ-loving biblical figures.

I don't need New Testament figures when I have Old Testament ones. You see, what many pacifist...as yourself...fail to realize is that when Jesus was telling us to lvoe our neighbors He was merely summing up the 10 commandments. Unless you want to argue that God did not command us to love until the New Testament. Really, why would it matter if they're in the New Testament or Old? Also, why did Jesus tell His disciples to sell their tunics to buy swords? Surely it wasn't for decoration...