Tolken

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

JerryR34 - Hi Kwik - what would be better to you - a person who trys to reconcile science and the Bible and believe in Christ or someone who throws out the Bible because it does not agree with science?

Seriously, what do you see as the primary obstacles to belief in God, at least as a starting point? (Not necessarily only from your perspective but what you encounter in general)

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/12/1969

JerryR34 - Hi Kwik - what would be better to you - a person who trys to reconcile science and the Bible and believe in Christ or someone who throws out the Bible because it does not agree with science?

Seriously, what do you see as the primary obstacles to belief in God, at least as a starting point? (Not necessarily only from your perspective but what you encounter in general)

I've never said I don't believe, I'm just not a young earth creationist.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  405
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

JerryR34 - I've never said I don't believe, I'm just not a young earth creationist.

I'm sorry but I did know that, but certainly you must have friends and acquaintances that you discuss such views?  It has just been my experience that science is first, followed by either a false impression (televangelists or other misconceptions) or a personal tragedy, with a bit of "I'm spiritual" - or what may be referred to as grocery shopping spirituality.  No big deal ...thought it interesting.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Hello Jerry

Good Evening & God Bless you.............Honestly Jerry,I majored in the sciences in school & I never found science to  conflict with the Word of God,each man is accountable for his own Salvation & anyone who is truly seeking God will not let anything get in the way.......it is totally irrelevant to my question & it was a very simple one at that.I guess it just boils down to believing it as Gods Word or not..............I just never could understand why some people make things very complicated.............like making mountains out of mole hills,but everyone is different & thats life

In my opinion I could not imagine anyone throwing out the Bible simply because they do not see science in agreement with Gods Word,the more advanced we become and as time goes on science is found to support so many things that were written 4000 years ago but that is an entirely different topic.

The Word of God does not require anyone to believe in YEC or forbid man to question it to receive the Grace of God,my curiosity was not aimed at Salvation  or anyones Faith in Jesus                                                                                                                         With love in Christ                             

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.         John 3:16

I think the biggest obstacle is lack of evidence for God.  If one did not know of and already believe in the Bible, one certainly could not trace the evidence back to the Book.

Edited by jerryR34

Guest shiloh357

I think the biggest obstacle is lack of evidence for God.  If one did not know of and already believe in the Bible, one certainly could not trace the evidence back to the Book.

The very existence of the universe is evidence for God.

Which God?  There is no scientific evidence you can give that would point to the God of the Bible without first knowing about and believing in the God of the Bible.  I am still looking for a good answer to this.

Edited by jerryR34

Guest shiloh357

Which God?  There is no scientific evidence you can give that would point to the God of the Bible without first knowing about and believing in the God of the Bible.  I am still looking for a good answer to this.

actually, the God of the Bible is the only God that would be able to do what it would take to create the universe.  He is all-knowing, omnipresent and all-powerful. 

In the annals of mythology, none of the other gods of the pagans had any of those attributes.   They had specialized and limited power.  They were not omnipresent and they didn't know all things.    The difference between the God of the Bible and say, Thor or Zeus is that Thor and Zeus represent the kind of persons for whom ancient man had a point of reference.

Man in ancient times had no concept of a God like the God of the Bible.   Think of it like this:  No one in the 14th century would have ever thought of a cell phone.  Such an image could never have occurred to them.

Ancient cultures pretty much adopted each others gods and adapted them to their culture.   Only the God of Scripture stands completely unique in that He and He alone is an all-knowing all-powerful creator and He alone controls the universe.  No pagan deity could do all of that.

So when you ask "which God?"  The answer is easy as there is only one that is uniquely qualified to manage the universe and that is the God of Scripture.

actually, the God of the Bible is the only God that would be able to do what it would take to create the universe.  He is all-knowing, omnipresent and all-powerful. 

In the annals of mythology, none of the other gods of the pagans had any of those attributes.   They had specialized and limited power.  They were not omnipresent and they didn't know all things.    The difference between the God of the Bible and say, Thor or Zeus is that Thor and Zeus represent the kind of persons for whom ancient man had a point of reference.

Man in ancient times had no concept of a God like the God of the Bible.   Think of it like this:  No one in the 14th century would have ever thought of a cell phone.  Such an image could never have occurred to them.

Ancient cultures pretty much adopted each others gods and adapted them to their culture.   Only the God of Scripture stands completely unique in that He and He alone is an all-knowing all-powerful creator and He alone controls the universe.  No pagan deity could do all of that.

So when you ask "which God?"  The answer is easy as there is only one that is uniquely qualified to manage the universe and that is the God of Scripture.

What I'm saying is...If one did not know and believe in the God of the bible, there is no way physical evidence could lead him to that story and the story of Jesus.  

You are mistaken in you post above...man came up with some pretty fantastical gods on his own, not to mention things like virgin birth, rising from the dead, cleansing floods, etc.  There has been a virtual god arms race since the dawn of civilization. 

Guest shiloh357

What I'm saying is...If one did not know and believe in the God of the bible, there is no way physical evidence could lead him to that story and the story of Jesus.  

That's right.  Nature only points to His existence, not necessarily His identity.   Nature tells you things about the Creatior, but it doesn't tell you his Name.  That is why we have the Bible.  Nature tells you that you have a Creator the Bible tells you who He is and that He loves and wants a relationship with you.

It's like being lost in a dark cave with no light until you see a small pinhole of light in the distance.   That pinhole of light can lead you to find your way out of the cave but if you ignore the light you likely will remain hopelessly lost unable to find your way.

You are mistaken in you post above...man came up with some pretty fantastical gods on his own, not to mention things like virgin birth, rising from the dead, cleansing floods, etc.  There has been a virtual god arms race since the dawn of civilization.

Sorry, but mankind did not invent the virgin birth or any of those things. All of what you say there is pretty bogus.   The God of the Bible is unique and man could not have and would not have come up with idea of a single all powerful, all knowing God.  It simply wasn't something the ancients had a point of reference for.