IGNORED

Is smoking tobacco a sin ?

anup007100

Guest shiloh357

nothing that people here frequently get condemned by others for here ever is "singled out".... is it?

Not singled out  by me.  And I haven't condemned anybody over this.

I didn't say that "self-destructive activity" is the definition of sin, but sin by nature is self-destructive.

:thumbsup:

Amen~!

But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death. Proverbs 8:36

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1963

I think anything bad for your health is a sin.

I hate to make a pun here, but I think this thread has gotten to the point, where there is more heat and smoke, than light. Is there anything that can really be said, that adds to understanding? Looks to me that maybe we could find other ways to say the same things, but it will still be the same three or four points, repeated in different words. Just an opinion!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

I was highly addicted to smoking for 20 years. 2-3 packs a day. I would pray and pray about it and get no results. One of these times that I prayed, I was reminded of the story of when Jesus was told Lazarus was sick, but he remained where he was to finish his work. Only when his work was finished where he was, did he move on to help Lazarus. I honestly felt from this and many other scriptures that I was being instructed that when we get saved we don't become instantly perfect and never sin again. Sin is the transgression of the word. The word says be anxious for nothing for example. How many of us worry about one thing or another. Does the fact that a lot of believers worry mean it's not a sin? Of course not. To worry is to transgress the word, which is sin.

But Jesus through the Holy Spirit is conforming us little by little, one day time to be more like him. Eventually the desire to quit was overwhelming and I smoked my last cigarette on Nov. 18 2013.  Why did God wait so long to help me Quit? Did I just hear him 20 years later about it? The bible says " we are the righteousness of God in Jesus Christ". But being conformed to his image is a step by step journey we are on with the Lord for the rest of our lives. Is smoking a sin???  We are not to be conformed to this world, but transformed by the renewing of our minds by the washing of the water of the word. We are the called ones. We are to be different, living examples of Jesus Christ operating through us, through the Holy Spirit. Smoking is a fleshly activity. It is of the flesh, not spirit. How times does the bible say we are not to ruled by our flesh, or to be carnal? Is smoking a sin..... Yes, but I don't think it's any of place of mine to tell the Holy Spirit when to work one thing or another out in another believer. All of us sin. Instead of focusing on sin, shouldn't we instead focusing on our relationship with Jesus Christ, being living examples of love and speaking his truth in season and out?   

May God bless you all

Firestormx

Joseph

P.S. I have always loved smoking and how it made me feel. I guess in the end the reason I stopped is because I love Jesus more.

Edited by firestormx

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

the issue isn't smoking, or overeating, or any other action - the issue is one of legalism versus faith in God's grace.  if you believe that the action of smoking sends people to hell, then you're doomed - because you don't maintain perfect actions yourself (whoever you are) in some other point of the law - everyone offends in some point of the law and all but Jesus are doomed under the law.  if you point out someone else's specific action as wrong (real or perceived), you judge yourself unworthy because you are also guilty of transgressing the law, albeit in some other point.  your righteousness by action is like a plate glass window; it doesn't matter whether you pop a small divot in it with a BB or shatter the whole thing with a cannon, in either case the window is ruined by any blemish, and only those who keep the whole law perfectly (are 'without sin') are qualified to judge others by the law.  no one in a flesh body today is qualified to judge another's actions because all who walk in a flesh body are convicted under the law by some action.

Rom 14:13-23
(13)  Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
(14)  I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
(15)  But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
(16)  Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
(17)  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
(18)  For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
(19)  Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
(20)  For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
(21)  It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
(22)  Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
(23)  And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

the essence of sin is making your own decisions rather than being led by God as His word clearly says that it is not within man to direct the steps of his own path - and God's leading can always be confirmed by scripture; while there is no scripture for smoking, there is clear scripture that eating meat sacrificed to idols is sin if you believe it is, and is not sin if you believe it isn't and don't eat it in a way that might cause your brother to stumble or be made weak; why would smoking be different?  because there's no evidence that it has any positive benefits?  what if science discovered that people who smoke don't get the worst forms of alzheimers? - wouldn't that make this argument void?

whoever you are, if you put your focus on bringing people into fellowship with God based on faith in His grace and independent of their actions good or bad, God will lead them out of their wrong thoughts and actions according to His priority.  judging other people's actions is far more deadly for you than their actions that you judge are for them; as you invite judgement on your own actions by judging other's actions - all are condemned under the law; Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. pointing out someone else's wrong actions (real or perceived) does not edify (build them up in their faith); it condemns (hinders their faith) - focus instead on bringing them into right relationship with God through faith in His grace, and let the goodness of God change people.
Edited by disciplehelovestoo

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

the issue isn't smoking, or overeating, or any other action - the issue is one of legalism versus faith in God's grace.  if you believe that the action of smoking sends people to hell, then you're doomed - because you don't maintain perfect actions yourself (whoever you are) in some other point of the law - everyone offends in some point of the law and all but Jesus are doomed under the law.  if you point out someone else's specific action as wrong (real or perceived), you judge yourself unworthy because you are also guilty of transgressing the law, albeit in some other point.  your righteousness by action is like a plate glass window; it doesn't matter whether you pop a small divot in it with a BB or shatter the whole thing with a cannon, in either case the window is ruined by any blemish, and only those who keep the whole law perfectly (are 'without sin') are qualified to judge others by the law.  no one in a flesh body today is qualified to judge another's actions because all who walk in a flesh body are convicted under the law by some action.

(13)  Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

(14)  I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

(15)  But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

(17)  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

(18)  For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.

(19)  Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

(20)  For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

(21)  It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

(22)  Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

(23)  And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

the essence of sin is making your own decisions rather than being led by God as His word clearly says that it is not within man to direct the steps of his own path - and God's leading can always be confirmed by scripture; while there is no scripture for smoking, there is clear scripture that eating meat sacrificed to idols is sin if you believe it is, and is not sin if you believe it isn't and don't eat it in a way that might cause your brother to stumble or be made weak; why would smoking be different?  because there's no evidence that it has any positive benefits?  what if science discovered that people who smoke don't get the worst forms of alzheimers? - wouldn't that make this argument void?

whoever you are, if you put your focus on bringing people into fellowship with God based on faith in His grace and independent of their actions good or bad, God will lead them out of their wrong thoughts and actions according to His priority.  judging other people's actions is far more deadly for you than their actions that you judge are for them; as you invite judgement on your own actions by judging other's actions - all are condemned under the law; Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. pointing out someone else's wrong actions (real or perceived) does not edify (build them up in their faith); it condemns (hinders their faith) - focus instead on bringing them into right relationship with God through faith in His grace, and let the goodness of God change people.

I have a quick question if you don't mind. After reading your post it seems to me that you are saying that we are not allowed to say something is a sin, otherwise we are judging. Is the correct understanding of your post?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

jerry, i get that you are new here, and no offense... but please don't EVER make the accusation that a truly born again christian can never smoke. that is the equivalent of YOU judging a person's heart and relationship with God. i am a truly born again Christian, and have been for more than 40 years. and yet, i smoked for more than 30 of those years. there are a lot of born again christians with a true dedication to God here on these forums that still smoke.

many christians do. and God works on us all in HIS time. for some people, He may be working in other areas of their life before dealing with them on the smoking issue. don't put yourself in God's seat.

you are taking it personally,i never mean to offend anybody,i believe we are here to learn and to help our christian life,Apostle Paul was born out of due time,but he labour more than the rest Apostles,just food for a thought.

from my own understanding,the way of christianity over here, is 100% difference from the way we pratice it in my country,in my country there is a difference between born again and a christian,i never mean to offend your ways of christianity,i have never been to USA before,so i did not know that you guys encourage a believer to smoke,i was only talking from my experience in my country,please you guys should not be offend,iam here to learn,in other to help my christian life and my walking relationship with God,

Travelling is a part of experience,now i know better.

there is only one God, and only "one" way of Christianity. (that "way" being to learn to model our behaviour after Jesus, loving God first and others next.) i'm not offended for myself, jerry. i am rock solid in my assurance of eternal life. what i'm trying to do is exactly what you said: "i believe we are hear to learn and help our christian life". i have no reason to doubt that you are a christian, born again and looking forward to eternity with Jesus Christ. but your error is in thinking that only those who are instantly made perfect are "truly" born again. we are all a work in progress, jerry. God's not finished with any of us yet. and i can promise you this... if you have accepted Christ as your savior and strive to live your life for Him, then the blood of His sacrifice covers all the multitude of sins you commit in your life. as a child of God, you must develop that same understanding towards others... that His sacrifice covers the sins in their lives too.

this doesn't mean that we all have a license to do whatever we want. far from it! but God deals with each of us, perfecting us as He would lumps of clay. as we grow and mature in our relationship with Christ, we shed more and more of our old lives. but we will never reach that perfect sinless state on this side of heaven.

and to look at another person's sin and say they are not truly born again is absolutely a sin. unlike smoking, it is something that God repeatedly and specifically tells us we are not to do. my concern is that when condemning another person as unsaved by the grace of God, a newer believer may take your cue and apply it to their lives and begin questioning their own salvation. these people often become like the seed that falls on rocky ground, never taking solid root, and their faith withers away.... because someone told them they weren't good enough to really be saved. because they believed the lie of satan that says 'because you keep stumbling and tripping over (insert sin here) you are too filthy to be cleansed by the blood, and you're never going to make it to heaven". and many people who become convinced of that lie will give up trying.

you speak of the apostle paul. i'd like to encourage you to study the book of romans again. at least chapter 7. paul acknowledges that as humans, our spirit and our flesh are always at odds, and that the desire to be transformed by God and our human, sinful nature will be in a state of continuous struggle while we are alive. paul states unequivocally that in his heart and mind, he is a slave to God's law, but that in his flesh, he is still a slave to the law of sin.

we should always encourage people to turn away from sin... to give up smoking, excessive drinking, drugs, sexual impurity, lying, stealing, gambling, or whatever sin that person struggles with. but we, and by that i mean both you and i and everyone else here, must be careful to do it in a way that actually ENcourages them rather than DIScouraging them.

God by His great mercy brought me to this site,God doesn't make a mistake,just two months and 2days,

that the grace of God that bringeth salvation appeared to me.

my best companion,in the person of the Holy Spirit,directed me to this site,on 29th" of july 2013"

God has bless me in many ways,through you guys on this site,infact this site is a special gift and a blessing from God to us,every good and perfect gift comes from above.

I know that my statement was too bad to your liking.

I never mean to offend or to judge anybody,you guys are a blessing to me,i think i was a little bit too hash,

By saying that a genuine born again can never smoke,

Iam a good listener,always eager to learn,to the glory of God,

for many years i was a christian without Christ,but on 27th" of may 2013" A Divine being enter into me and change me.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I have a quick question if you don't mind. After reading your post it seems to me that you are saying that we are not allowed to say something is a sin, otherwise we are judging. Is the correct understanding of your post?

not quite; be led by God and not by your own understanding; He may lead you to inform, but never to condemn, and always with the goal to bring the other person to focus on His grace, not their poor performance