IGNORED

Your views on the Purpose Driven Campaigns.

Guest brotherswmiller

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

Wow...someone agreed with me! That is so rare! lol...thank you. :wub:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/20/1959

Thank you Tess and Keith. I agree with you completely. :wub:

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Tess,

I just noticed that you have a quote by Ravi Zaccharias in your signature! I'm just now learning about him. My neighbor across the hall is bananas for his teachings and will listen to him on the radio twice a day!

Your welcome Serotta! Thanks for speaking up.

Guest His_Servant

I still don't see what the problem is with The Purpose-Driven Life. I have read it, and will tell you some of what I got from it....

That we should live for God and God alone....it isn't about us, but about what he wants.

That God loves us beyond comprehension...that he created us to love us, and created each of us uniquely.

That when God tells us to do something, we don't take time to pray about it first...but we do it immediately, and then pray about it.

That we should support our church, and be active in it.

That God is continuously watching us, and there are many tests in this life. For instance, God even watches to see how we treat the waiter when we go to a restaraunt.

That whatever things we are good at and have a passion for (music, writing, etc) are gifts God gave us that we should be using for his glory.

That whatever trials or hurts we have experienced in life, are most likely part of our ministry...to help others who we can relate to in Christ's service.

That everyone should participate in a bible study group, or start one.

That our main purpose is to spread the good news of Christ...to be a faithful witness.

That, if possible, everyone who can should spend some time doing mission work...to take a short trip if possible.

Those are just some of the things in the book. He also talks about how once we are saved, the Lord works to change us...that we are to become Christlike. I never once read anything that alarmed me. People can call it demonic if they like because of all the different bible translations used, but that is just silly IMO. Just because you believe other translations are demonic, doesn't mean it's true. Besides that, I have a few bibles laying around, and very easily could have looked up those scriptures. Most of them, I recognized immediately from having read my KJV, though. I knew how they were worded in the KJV without even having to look them up...they were similar, and seemed to mean the same thing. Anyway, God really helped me so much through that book, and no one could convince me otherwise. I know it was the Holy Spirit who spoke to me in certain parts of the book.

People can attack Warren and this book all they want, but for those who do, if you ever write a book about the Lord or whatever, someone will rip you apart for your words too. I mean goodness, we even have people (supposed christians) who want to ignore parts of the Bible because they feel it doesn't concern us! I just feel this is a pointless argument. I'm sure many have been touched through this book, and I bet it hasn't done any of the predicted damage lol. I even bought it and the journal for my prayer partner at church.

GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU ALL!

Guest brotherswmiller

I think there are some believers who need to focus more on their own walk with the Lord than they do on everyone else around them. There's a spirit of arrogance set on some, and they think that they have a monopoly on how ministry should happen and take place. Here's a bit of advice to you who find something wrong with everyone: when Christ came, He delievered truth with grace. Much of what I've seen professed around here (including in this topic) hasn't been "truth" but has been opinion. You've gotten confused about what are absolutes and what are matters of personal conviction. It's these sorts of divisions that drive unbelievers even farther away from our message. If we lack grace for eachother..what makes us think we'll convince the world God has grace for them?

Ciao...

2ND TIMOTHY 4:2-4.

2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

BSWM.

It's one thing to warn of false teachers, it's quite another to tear apart other ministries and brothers/sisters in Christ over matters of preference. In case you don't realize this, just because a person does not worship the way you do, does not use the same bible version you do, or does not evangelize the way you do...does NOT mean they are false teachers. Yes, we should be alert and listen to the Holy Spirit (regarding false doctrine)... however we should not be paranoid and become spiritual elitists who exclude everyone (including other believers) from the faith if they do not hold to every conviction that we have for ourselves. This is the essence of bondage and legalism. We are in a spiritual battle, we have an enemy seeking to steal every seed we try to plant. Instead of attacking fellow believers for their efforts and criticizing their methods of spreading seeds, we should focus the energy on nurturing and harvesting the seeds that have been planted. It seems there are more "ministries" these days set up for the sole purpose of "exposing" false teachers...and less ppl actually out ministering to the lost world. From the world's perspective all they see is a church divided. They see so-called Christians who can't agree on anything and do nothing but criticize eachother, they see no unity, they see no love. Why would they want any part of Christianity when we are always attacking one another?

I'm sorry, but this was not the call that Christ put on our lives. Yes, we should be sober minded and lean on the Holy Spirit to show us when something is false. Yes, if someone is blatantly promoting something that is anti-Christ, it should be corrected and warned against. But those verses were never intended to empower believers to be critical of one another. Using those Scriptures to support an attack on brothers and sisters in Christ who devote their lives to sharing the gospel is a mockery of what they truly mean. You don't go around defaming someone's character because of the bible version they use and say it's in the name of "exposing false teachers". No, that's not going to cut it. If you're going to accuse someone of being a false teacher you better be able to back it up with truth and evidence to support your claim. And just remember, the same standard you're using to judge others is the same standard you'll be measured by.

Guest brotherswmiller
It's one thing to warn of false teachers, it's quite another to tear apart other ministries and brothers/sisters in Christ over matters of preference. In case you don't realize this, just because a person does not worship the way you do, does not use the same bible version you do, or does not evangelize the way you do...does NOT mean they are false teachers. Yes, we should be alert and listen to the Holy Spirit (regarding false doctrine)... however we should not be paranoid and become spiritual elitists who exclude everyone (including other believers) from the faith if they do not hold to every conviction that we have for ourselves. This is the essence of bondage and legalism. We are in a spiritual battle, we have an enemy seeking to steal every seed we try to plant. Instead of attacking fellow believers for their efforts and criticizing their methods of spreading seeds, we should focus the energy on nurturing and harvesting the seeds that have been planted. It seems there are more "ministries" these days set up for the sole purpose of "exposing" false teachers...and less ppl actually out ministering to the lost world. From the world's perspective all they see is a church divided. They see so-called Christians who can't agree on anything and do nothing but criticize eachother, they see no unity, they see no love. Why would they want any part of Christianity when we are always attacking one another?

I'm sorry, but this was not the call that Christ put on our lives. Yes, we should be sober minded and lean on the Holy Spirit to show us when something is false. Yes, if someone is blatantly promoting something that is anti-Christ, it should be corrected and warned against. But those verses were never intended to empower believers to be critical of one another. Using those Scriptures to support an attack on brothers and sisters in Christ who devote their lives to sharing the gospel is a mockery of what they truly mean. You don't go around defaming someone's character because of the bible version they use and say it's in the name of "exposing false teachers". No, that's not going to cut it. If you're going to accuse someone of being a false teacher you better be able to back it up with truth and evidence to support your claim. And just remember, the same standard you're using to judge others is the same standard you'll be measured by.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Galatians 1:6-9.

6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

1ST Tomothy 4:1-2.

1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

2ND Timothy 4:2-4.

2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

1ST Peter 3:17-18.

For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

2ND Peter 1:1-3.

1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

JUDE 3.

3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

*** still waiting for proof that Rick Warren is a "false teacher/prophet" ***

Again, I've never claimed that I agree with Rick Warren. I've never even read his books. But thus far, all I've seen is people bashing him (along with other authors) because of personal preferences over bible translations. This does NOT constitute a false doctrine.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  155
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

If you are willing to read for 10-12 HOURS on some well researched sites about his writings, and teaching tape series, then you'll find all you can handle. If not, a little snippet here and there, a little sound-bite just won't work.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/20/1959

If you are willing to read for 10-12 HOURS on some well researched sites about his writings, and teaching tape series, then you'll find all you can handle.  If not, a little snippet here and there, a little sound-bite just won't work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So one has to read a roughly 150,000 word compendium on Rick Warren to discern that he preaches a false gospel? I'm sorry, but I don't believe that this is what Paul was talking about in Galations. Lets not forget that Paul also preached that Jews worship one way and gentiles another, that it is right for some to eat meat and drink wine, but not others. There are a lot more obvous things that you can focus on that need to be changed before you reach Rick Warren's teachings.