JohnS

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0

The following text (from the BBC website) is taken from a speech given by Lieutenant Colonel Tim Collins to the battle group of the 1st Battalion of the Royal Irish yesterday.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  09/20/1965

I thought it was probably heat of the moment when the American flag was draped over the statue of Saddam that was toppled in Baghdad. The Arab press ate it up and said that anything that happened now in Iraq would have an "American smell". The flag was quickly replaced, can't blame the soldiers. That American smell has to be sweeter than that Saddam stench.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Al Jazeer will do the best they can to put a negative spin on anything like that, John. As we saw today, it offended no one and the people continued on with it. I have cried so many tears of joy today, watching all the footage of those grateful people. Never in my life have I witnessed such gratitude. The euphoria is catching. The flag did quickly come down - not because it offended, but because we do not want to be perceived as 'taking over'. It is still Iraq - not America. :noidea:

On Fox and MSNBC, in two separate interviews with American Iraqis, both were asked about their perception of the flag incident. Both - in completely separate interviews on different news channels said the same thing, {shrug}" No big deal..." and neither seemed to give it any significance.

The American media makes more of a deal out of things than anyone else does.

As far as Al Jazeera, I think they've got egg all over their face. I saw an Al Jazeera reporter interviewing a smiling American soldier and the two were teasing each other and joking around.

I heard that Al Jazeera is doing an "about face" and scrambling to change the spin since their original anti-American slant failed to recognize and accurately report the true Iraqi sentiment.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  09/20/1965

Ah, imagine the one channel state run television network! Syrian tv was broadcasting architectural programming while the statue was coming down. They show only the dead from the war, much like our peace protesters. Scenes of liberated Iraqis dancing in the streets might loosen their grip on their subjects. Hey Cat, someone was saying it would have been funny if one of those M1 tanks would have pulled up behind that disinformation minister while he was broadcasting.

:taped: