Religion a trigger?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

So me and my boyfriend get into constant arguments over religion and he pointed out to me that it could be a trigger for my PTSD. I think he could be right since I had a bad experience with religion at my school.

I am a Christian and my school taught all five major religions. When I refused to believe what they wanted me to believe I would get in trouble not only at school but also at home too. ‘

—–example 1—-
There was one time when I was sitting and discussing with this one girl about gay marriage and I said that I believed it was a sin to be gay (I did not word it correctly I should have said, having same sex, sex is a sin, being gay is not because you can have homosexual inclinations and not act on them). Any way she took offense to that and then this other girl comes in and says, **Removed**

That got me pretty upset and sad so I went to tell a teacher. The teacher asked me for the whole story so I told her and she said, “Well you said something hurtful too, that being gay is a sin.”

Then she walked away and did nothing about it. I know I didn’t word it correctly but I tried to be as nice as possible. Ya know?

—Example 2—-
There was another time when we were all seated downstairs at lunch and we were discussing religion. (My teacher sat and ate with us too).

He asked me, “Can you admit that you might be wrong about God?”

I looked at him and said, “What?”

He said, “can you admit that there might be a chance that you are wrong about God and that he might not exist?”

I said, “no.”

Then he replied in front of the whole class, “then you are very arrogant.”

—end of stories—

So I think being TOLD what to believe is a trigger.

I have also had bad experiences with the church because they weren’t there for me when I needed them. Now I can barley set foot in a church without getting defensive and angry.

What do I do? Do you think this is an actual trigger? If so how can I fix it? I love God and I want a relationship with him but this has been getting in the way.

Thanks for reading (sorry if this was kinda long).

Edited by ncn
Language (even using an acronym is bad language)

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

To all members. 

While this thread is in the right right forum for now ,

please beware that younger members can read this forum. 

Language content and any advice given is extremely important in replies from members and the OP to their replies. 

Not only do we have children who are members, we also have guests and any number of them can be children. 

Please help to keep this tread family friendly or it will be closed. 

God Bless, 

Nigel. 

Guest Teditis

It sounds to me as though neither church itself, nor religion is the "trigger".

It seems to have something to do with things related to being "told" something;

as though it's a matter of control-issues as opposed to any of the other things that

you mentioned.

Arguments are matters of control issues, authority figures are often control-issues...

especially those that make declarative statements that you don't have the "tools" to

conversationally respond to. Also establishments/institutions that hold dogmatic views

that are held as unassailable. 

If you're currently in therapy I would suggest that you and your MH-expert address the

issue right away so that you can begin to find some peace in situations that un-winnable.

Find ways to accept that your opinions and beliefs are fine but they might be at conflict with

other people's points-of-view... and that's okay. But they also don't need to lines drawn in the sand

and fought over either... you're not at conflict with these people of differing opinions; you merely

disagree.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

When we understand our reasons why we believe, what anyone else says does not matter.  I suggest you dig deep within yourself to discover what you believe and place it beside scripture. What aligns with scripture, keep.  What does not, either discard or place it below scripture, as in a personal thought.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

So me and my boyfriend get into constant arguments over religion and he pointed out to me that it could be a trigger for my PTSD. I think he could be right since I had a bad experience with religion at my school.

I am a Christian and my school taught all five major religions. When I refused to believe what they wanted me to believe I would get in trouble not only at school but also at home too. ‘

—–example 1—-

There was one time when I was sitting and discussing with this one girl about gay marriage and I said that I believed it was a sin to be gay (I did not word it correctly I should have said, having same sex, sex is a sin, being gay is not because you can have homosexual inclinations and not act on them). Any way she took offense to that and then this other girl comes in and says, **Removed**

That got me pretty upset and sad so I went to tell a teacher. The teacher asked me for the whole story so I told her and she said, “Well you said something hurtful too, that being gay is a sin.”

Then she walked away and did nothing about it. I know I didn’t word it correctly but I tried to be as nice as possible. Ya know?

—Example 2—-

There was another time when we were all seated downstairs at lunch and we were discussing religion. (My teacher sat and ate with us too).

He asked me, “Can you admit that you might be wrong about God?”

I looked at him and said, “What?”

He said, “can you admit that there might be a chance that you are wrong about God and that he might not exist?”

I said, “no.”

Then he replied in front of the whole class, “then you are very arrogant.”

—end of stories—

So I think being TOLD what to believe is a trigger.

I have also had bad experiences with the church because they weren’t there for me when I needed them. Now I can barley set foot in a church without getting defensive and angry.

What do I do? Do you think this is an actual trigger? If so how can I fix it? I love God and I want a relationship with him but this has been getting in the way.

Thanks for reading (sorry if this was kinda long).

dear one, no one likes the repugnant attitude of the scoffers these days, it is as God has said

2nd Timothy 3:

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

and so turn away you should.

Both of your examples are typical

If they upset you, avoid them, but the truth needs to be told