• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

Hi everyone,

Recently I got interested in personality profiles. After doing some personality test (Briggs Myers) I discovered that I am INTJ which is relatively rare, only 2% of the general population. After reading through the description and doing some serious self-reflection over the past 2-3 days, I find that its description fit me to the letter. It shows my strengths and weaknesses, both of which I find to be very accurate. I find that learning more about myself helps me better learn about others and how I interact with people in general. By thinking it over, it allowed me to be more comfortable in my own skin and acknowledge how I am different from other people and how I can adjust/accommodate to personalities of other people.

For example, some of my Strengths are...

*Quick, Imaginative and Strategic Mind

*High Self-Confidence

*Independent and Decisive

*Hard-working and determined

*Open-minded

*Jacks-of-all-Trades

Some of my weaknesses are...

*Arrogant

*Judgemental

*Overly Analytical

*Loathe highly structured environments

*[and I exclude an embarrassing one, if you are interested you can look it up yourself :mgcheerful: ]

It sure help me narrow down what kind of jobs, friends and analyze how I behave. I now want to implement the suggestion mention for this personality type in order to improve myself.

I was wondering if anyone else have this type of experience and whether or not personality profiles also accurately describe you?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  432
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/26/1962

A few years ago we were having a bit of conflict in my team at work.  Pretty bad personality clashes.  Our manager had us all take one of those tests to see what type of personality we each had.  Then we had a group session and talked about the traits of each of those personalities and what each of us was.  It actually turned things around on the team and things got a lot better afterward.  I credit the boss on that one for handling it so well.

Yes, I did find it to be pretty accurate.  I am highly analytic - which I already knew - but it was spot on.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I've done that twice, once out of random curiosity and once for reasons you could guess at. Both times came up INTP.

I am skeptical because I doubt the validity of the way this test and these categories were constructed in the first place. Some I know have survived longer term. For instance, I don't doubt that I'm an introvert, as far as that category describes a heritable personality characteristic. Others seem a bit arbitrary.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

I do not believe in doing personality testing.It is too worldly for me.

Okay, how's that?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

Okay, how's that?

It just seems very new age to me.

Okay, how's that?

Nah. It's psychology. Some of it is legit, some of it is not, but this is not astrology.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/09/1987

Okay, how's that?

Nah. It's psychology. Some of it is legit, some of it is not, but this is not astrology.

some of them if not created correctly don't give accurate information, so I do some, but only take note of it is is done by psychologist. I did some in my psyholgy uni course which I pefer. But alot of the ones on google, besides Briggs Myers are just ones people have slapped together themselves lol. 

Nah. It's psychology....

:thumbsup:

Some

And ye have done worse than your fathers; for, behold, ye walk every one after the imagination of his evil heart, that they may not hearken unto me: Jeremiah 16:12

Christian philosophers Norman Geisler and Winfried Corduan argue that all “people sense a basic need for God.” 1 The fact that Sigmund Freud attempted to explain this phenomena away shows that even he recognized this need for God in himself and others. (Of course, Freud denied that God exists.) Freud admitted that man feels powerless and insignificant in the face of the vast universe in which he finds himself. 2 According to Freud, man invents God through his imagination to calm his fears. http://instituteofbiblicaldefense.com/tag/freud/

Things

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1 (NASB)

From that one significant incident, Jung could have proceeded to deny all religions, but he didn't. Instead, he evidently saw that religion was very meaningful to many people and that religions could be useful as myths. His choice to consider all religions as myths was further influenced by his view of psychoanalysis. According to Viktor Von Weizsaecker, "C. G. Jung was the first to understand that psychoanalysis belonged in the sphere of religion."That Jung's theories constitute a religion can be seen in his view of God as the collective unconscious and thereby present in each person's unconscious. For him religions revealed aspects of the unconscious and could thus tap into a person's psyche. He also used dreams as avenues into the psyche for self-understanding and self-exploration. Religion was only a tool to tap into the self and if a person wanted to use Christian symbols that was fine with him.

Jung's Spirit Guide

Because Jung turned psychoanalysis into a type of religion, he is also considered to be a transpersonal psychologist as well as a psychoanalytical theorist. He delved deeply into the occult, practiced necromancy, and had daily contact with disembodied spirits, which he called archetypes. Much of what he wrote was inspired by such entities. Jung had his own familiar spirit whom he called Philemon. At first he thought Philemon was part of his own psyche, but later on he found that Philemon was more than an expression of his own inner self. Jung says:

Philemon and other figures of my fantasies brought home to me the crucial insight that there are things in the psyche which I do not produce, but which produce themselves and have their own life. Philemon represented a force which was not myself. In my fantasies I held conversations with him, and he said things which I had not consciously thought. For I observed clearly that it was he who spoke, not I. . . . Psychologically, Philemon represented superior insight. He was a mysterious figure to me. At times he seemed to me quite real, as if he were a living personality. I went walking up and down the garden with him, and to me he was what the Indians call a guru.

One can see why Jung is so very popular among New Agers. http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/jungleg.html

To Consider

“The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it? “I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give to each man according to his ways, According to the results of his deeds. Jeremiah 17:9 (NASB)

Suttie challenged Freudian orthodoxy along these lines:

______

b) The great challenge of psychic development is separation from the mother. The trauma of badly negotiated separation from the love-object gives rise to hate. http://www.the-rathouse.com/Revivalist4/Suttie_FAQ.html

In One's Search For Truth

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. John 3:3

You have a valid point about Jung. I realize also he was popular and those who formed this test were partly inspired by him. But, I don't think this test need to be therefore new age or invoke his mysticism insofar as, it can easily be interpreted instead as an attempt to tease out heritable traits. That goes back to what I said earlier though, in that view, it's hard to see how these categories match real meaningful patterns of heritable characteristics.