IGNORED

Stuff Christians Say that Makes Jewish People Cringe

Guest shiloh357

Missionaries all over the world learn about and speak in the cultural terms of the people they seek to reach.   They learn about things not to say because our culture in the US is not universal and some things we say and do, are offensive in other cultures.   Missionaries spend two or three years learning the cultural peculiarities so that they don't inadvertently do something that cuts off the lines of communication with the people they want to reach.

Even Paul did that.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Missionaries all over the world learn about and speak in the cultural terms of the people they seek to reach.   They learn about things not to say because our culture in the US is not universal and some things we say and do, are offensive in other cultures.   Missionaries spend two or three years learning the cultural peculiarities so that they don't inadvertently do something that cuts off the lines of communication with the people they want to reach.

Even Paul did that.

Yeah true. I wouldn't argue against that. If people find this is better, then, more power to them.

I have just found being direct is better for my own circumstances as the Jews I know are incredibly suspicious of any hint of "Jews for Jesus" type of schtick. When I straight up say I'm a Christian and not use a time like Jewish believer, there has been less wariness.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

Even Paul did that.

Yeah true. I wouldn't argue against that. If people find this is better, then, more power to them.

I have just found being direct is better for my own circumstances as the Jews I know are incredibly suspicious of any hint of "Jews for Jesus" type of schtick. When I straight up say I'm a Christian and not use a time like Jewish believer, there has been less wariness.

Most Jewish people are initially suspicious of any Jewish person who claims to believe in Jesus. It is not unique to Jews for Jesus, which has been one of the more effective missions group in sharing the gospel with the Jewish people. That effectiveness has made Jewish people suspicious. Of course anti-missionaries have done their best to demonize Jews for Jesus because of their effectiveness. Most Jewish people consider it an obligation to be hostile to Jews who believe in Jesus.

I have been out with Jews for Jesus to share the gospel. It is interesting. I was in a mall which is a majority of Jewish shoppers and shop owners. In the food court, some of the people felt obligated to show their contempt of me. However, that brought others to wonder what I was, so the louder the people showing contempt, the more others came up to me to find out why. I started getting some very very good questions. As we talked, those listening started to tell the hostile people to go sit down and be quiet because they wanted me there and wanted to find out what I had to say. I had a lot of very good conversations with a lot of people. That is not unusual. The anti-missionaries sometimes put out newspapers ad's warning about Jews for Jesus, and in reaction, some Jewish people are curious about what all of the up roar is about and seek out Jews for Jesus to find out what they believe. I found working along side Jews for Jesus to be very very similar to what we read about in the book of Acts. Some hostility resulting in others coming to hear what is going on. One of the sayings in Jews for Jesus is 'a knock down is a boost up'. Someone who loudly tries to knock them down, or give bad press results in others who might not have known about Jews for Jesus coming out to find out more. Jews for Jesus is not pushy, but have a goal to make themselves visible, vulnerable and available, so they go where they will be noticed making themselves vulnerable. Being noticable brings a reaction, which results in people being curious and then you are visible and available to them.   

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Sure, that makes sense. I should clarify I am not against them or what they do at all, merely that in my case I have found it wisest to do something else.