Gus

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I try to avoid Facebook and other social media if possible but when I scrolled my 'newsfeed' today (and I use the term 'news' loosely) there was yet another of those 'prank videos', this one of a guy doing 'pranks' on his girlfriend, only the pranks are really just abuse. Including spraying her with a chemical fire hydrant whilst she is sleeping, squirting tomato ketchup on her whilst she is getting ready in the bathroom, and best of all, slamming a shopping cart into her at the hardware store so she falls into the tools on display in front of bewildered shoppers.

Now, it's obvious to me this is all a set up, and she is in on it. But what I don't get is how this passes for entertainment and laughs. He even titles the video 'How to be the perfect boyfriend'. Many of the replies worryingly say how funny the video is and what a great couple they make, as if a. this was real and b. if it is real, his actions are funny and acceptable. This is more a rant than a topic but I despair at the current and growing tend of increasingly violent and made up videos for narcissists to just get 'likes' and views. 

How low we have come when it is celebrated as entertainment and some are seen as on-line 'celebrities'. And how long before this culture becomes accepted behaviour for the younger generation who watch them all the time.

Edited by Gus