• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

(Matthew 11:29-30)

someone was explaining to me last week about something they learned from the Amish about how a young ox is trained. 

it is yoked to a mature ox while that ox plows. this older, stronger ox is doing all the work -- the young ox is simply 'along for the ride' and is being pulled along by the strength of the other. this is how for centuries - probably millennia - a beast of burden has been taught its 'trade.' it is not there to actually do the hard labor, but to become accustomed to the yoke, and to the path that it should trod when it is ready to work on its own. it learns that struggling against the other is futile, and learns to follow it and do as it does.

this is how Christ's yoke is, my friend explained: we do not do the labor. we walk alongside the Lord, as He shoulders the load. so the yoke is easy and the burden, light -- He is the One that worketh and willeth in you; and you submit to His righteousness, not establish your own. 
so then although a yoke is placed on you, it is not by works. although we are prepared for every good work He predestined for us, it is not ourselves, but Christ that lives in us, that is worthy of all glory and honor - and we are made His yokefellow, and i tell you, not one of us has strength of his own to keep up with this One! 

i liked this explanation i was given very much. i found it profound and enlightening! i hope you do also . .
it is of course an analogy, and at some point every analogy breaks down - because every analogy is a way to communicate a truth of God's perfect understanding to our simplistic, human way of thinking. 

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,787
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

I may have to use this in a devotional.  :)