IGNORED

When life feels cold and dark and I am naked and shivering within (When I am afraid, I put my trust in you)---Psalm 56:3

markdohle

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

When life feels cold and dark and I am naked and shivering within

(When I am afraid, I put my trust in you)---Psalm 56:3

Sometimes I feel fear.  It is when I become strongly aware of the suffering that goes on around me.  On how common it is to have sick friends, people I love who are dying and my own aging as well.  It is as if everything I tell myself about my faith and hope drops away and I am left shivering in a cold dark place.  I do not like it ‘here’, but I also know that it is just like every ‘place’ my inner self finds itself at.  It says nothing about the truth of my faith, for if God’s ‘Yes’ in Jesus is true then there is nothing that can separate me from the love of Christ Jesus.  All inner states pass.  The warm ones, the happy ones, the sad and horrible ones and the ones that can show me how much of life is ‘cold’ and ‘dark’.  Yet it passes like a storm on the sea….it is when I forget that I can flounder.  When I remember the love and mercy of the Lord,  I get out of the boat and walk towards Jesus Christ who beckons me not to fear.  For He has over come the world, the flesh and the devil…..in Him is my trust and hope and my fear drops away, or if not, I do not ‘fear’ my fear.

Guest Teditis

It's an important part in these situations to not fear our fear...

They always come and haunt us at times and it's easy to get caught up in them.

But we must remember that it is Jesus, who lives inside us, that says to the storm,

"Peace! Be still." And we can know without a doubt, that if He is with us we shall not

drown in the midst of a cold, dark sea of troubles.

Nicely written Mark.

5 hours ago, Teditis said:

It's an important part in these situations to not fear our fear...

They always come and haunt us at times and it's easy to get caught up in them.

But we must remember that it is Jesus, who lives inside us, that says to the storm,

"Peace! Be still." And we can know without a doubt, that if He is with us we shall not

drown in the midst of a cold, dark sea of troubles.

Nicely written Mark.

I have found that many people have a lot of shoulds about what they should be feeling what emotions they should have, as if they had some sort of complete control over their inner lives.  Grace, the love of God works in it all bringing all things to the good as St. Paul says about those who love the Lord Jesus. 

The older I get and the deeper I go into the love of God, the less I know that I don't understand, for who can understand infinite unconditional love?  I have been through many dark times, but the light of the Lord always breaks through and I am embraced with his love.   People will turn to God when the understand the love that is offered them they will turn to the Lord.  Hearts melt when they experience the look of Jesus his compassion and understanding.

Peace
Mark

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Fernando Ortega, hymn writer musician singer music director, shares in his performances that he suffers fear anxiety and depression. His music is a reflection of his working through that which troubles him. He is also my favorite musician.

Rev.Charles H. Spurgeon suffered greatly from fear anxiety and depression, yet he faced  upwards of 20,000 people each week  sharing the gospel of Jesus, giving exposition of the word of God.

Seems to me such seemingly  hard to overcome and work with handicaps actually enable some people  to become by way  of their tenacious struggles strong witnesses of the faith of Jesus.

p.s. _ A link to an interview with Fernando http://ryanthomasneace.com/2015/01/06/fernando-ortega-interviews-with-spiritual-heroes/ complete with a sampling of his most unusual works.

Edited by Neighbor

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Fernando Ortega, hymn writer musician singer music director, shares in his performances that he suffers fear anxiety and depression. His music is a reflection of his working through that which troubles him. He is also my favorite musician.

Rev.Charles H. Spurgeon suffered greatly from fear anxiety and depression, yet he faced  upwards of 20,000 people each week  sharing the gospel of Jesus, giving exposition of the word of God.

Seems to me such seemingly  hard to overcome and work with handicaps actually enable some people  to become by way  of their tenacious struggles strong witnesses of the faith of Jesus.

p.s. _ A link to an interview with Fernando http://ryanthomasneace.com/2015/01/06/fernando-ortega-interviews-with-spiritual-heroes/ complete with a sampling of his most unusual works.

Thank you Neighbor, I will look up the music fo Fernando, perhaps he will become one of my favorites as well ;-).  Wonderful comment.

Peace
Mark

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Thank you.

There is  a History of Charles Spurgeon's agony titled aptly enough the "Anguish And Agonies Of Charles Spurgeon", by Darrel Amundsen which is available online. Plus there are a few sermons  to be found at the Spurgeon Archives the titles of which include the words depression  agony and anguish.

I sure find them of interest, and of personal benefit too.

Somewhat related is the history of Horatio Spafford and his writing of the Hymn, "It Is well With My Soul", A hymn I find to lend uplift and power to my own soul.

5 hours ago, Yowm said:

Honesty like this takes courage, because often many of 'Job's comforters' will come around easily giving unhelpful advice like... "Oh, brother, all you need is more faith", or "What 'secret sin' are you harboring that causes faith to falter?" or "That isn't the victorious Life!"...so as a result we tend to 'clam' up.

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
(1Co 10:13)

Thank you, wise words my friend.

peace
Mark

5 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Thank you.

There is  a History of Charles Spurgeon's agony titled aptly enough the "Anguish And Agonies Of Charles Spurgeon", by Darrel Amundsen which is available online. Plus there are a few sermons  to be found at the Spurgeon Archives the titles of which include the words depression  agony and anguish.

Somewhat related is the history of Horatio Spafford and his writing of the Hymn, "It Is well With My Soul", A hymn I find to lend uplift and power to my own soul.

Many people don't understand that "trust" is a choice, a response to grace, a death to an old way of life and fear.  I will look up what you recommended.

Peace
Mark

5 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Thank you.

Many people don't understand that "trust" is a choice, a response to grace, a death to an old way of life and fear.  I will look up what you recommended.

Peace
Mark