markdohle

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  479
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,576
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

Yes it's the onions in the hash potatoes  lol.I went there with my brother a while back and he order meat loaf and double portion of the hash potatoes. I love it.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0

17 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Great story.

We've all probably been there done that, as panhandlers go. As probably most here, I don't want to be an enabler or contribute to someone's drug or alcohol addiction or be made a fool of. I run across people with signs standing at an intersection in my small little town from time to time. Unless I'm 100% certain the person(s) are addicted to drugs, which has never happened yet... If I have any cash on me and traffic permits or I can pull over somewhere, I grab a Bible tract and stick some cash in there and give it to them, and maybe talk to them a minute to let them know I do see them. 

After the first couple of times seeing them I didn't have any Bible tracts with me. Now I always keep some in my vehicle as I should have done to begin with. 

I've wrestled with myself about the overwhelming odds of them being addicted to drugs and using the money to purchase drugs. I considered taking them to get a meal, but in this day and age it's not wise to give strangers a lift. I decided that if I was going to error, I'd rather error on the side of the slim possibility the need is genuine. And the possibility the individual(s) might read the Bible tract and come to know the Lord. 

I'm trying to open my heart to see if God will tell me something and give we wisdom in manners like these.

I agree with you my friend.  Better to err on the side giving and not just reducing them to a stereotype, for I do believe that it hurts us as well when we do that.  It is like we turn off a switch.  People come here and ask for help and we do have a food bank.  When people ask me for help, I will help them a couple of times, then I have to say no because we are not an agency and too many will end up coming for help and we don't have the money.  It is a  sad situation and causes me pain.  I know some of them are taking advantage, but that is really on them.  In any case we are called to love, exhort and from time to time to challenge 'some' of them, which I do. 

A man I know who is an expert on addictions, that if I ever see an alcoholic with the shakes I should help him.  Withdrawal from alcohol can be fatal and is more serious than withdrawal from hard drugs.  He gave me an explanation but I forgot it;-(.....just remembered his advice.   Though I have only seen this a man or woman with the shakes once.

Peace
Mark

Guest Thallasa
18 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Great story.

We've all probably been there done that, as panhandlers go. As probably most here, I don't want to be an enabler or contribute to someone's drug or alcohol addiction or be made a fool of. I run across people with signs standing at an intersection in my small little town from time to time. Unless I'm 100% certain the person(s) are addicted to drugs, which has never happened yet... If I have any cash on me and traffic permits or I can pull over somewhere, I grab a Bible tract and stick some cash in there and give it to them, and maybe talk to them a minute to let them know I do see them. 

After the first couple of times seeing them I didn't have any Bible tracts with me. Now I always keep some in my vehicle as I should have done to begin with. 

I've wrestled with myself about the overwhelming odds of them being addicted to drugs and using the money to purchase drugs. I considered taking them to get a meal, but in this day and age it's not wise to give strangers a lift. I decided that if I was going to error, I'd rather error on the side of the slim possibility the need is genuine. And the possibility the individual(s) might read the Bible tract and come to know the Lord. 

I'm trying to open my heart to see if God will tell me something and give we wisdom in manners like these.

No need to take them for a meal , just give them a sandwich, and a drink ;but I suppose you are on a motorway .:)

Guest Thallasa
18 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Yes it's the onions in the hash potatoes  lol.I went there with my brother a while back and he order meat loaf and double portion of the hash potatoes. I love it.

Oh dear ,I am hungry now and it is more than an hour before I can eat . Temptation !!! I like the sound of a Waffle house ; would it be better than a McDonalds, which are ubiquitous  and I would never go there ?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  479
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,576
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

16 hours ago, Thallasa said:

Oh dear ,I am hungry now and it is more than an hour before I can eat . Temptation !!! I like the sound of a Waffle house ; would it be better than a McDonalds, which are ubiquitous  and I would never go there ?

It's the hash potatoes Tallahassee lol.