• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

10 minutes ago, other one said:

I have several welders in my extended family and they had a lot more lung trouble than eye problems... Not counting cataracts which a lot of us get anyway. 

I think the lung issues are worse based upon the type of welding and the environment you are in.  Also, I started as a grinder, grinding down the welds and joints to get them ready for the paint shop to finish and paint.  Welding was a huge step up for my lungs.

I was the only self taught welder on my line when I got moved and it was because I became friends with the welders and they taught me how to do it.   I did mostly MIG welding on aluminum in a pretty wide open assembly area so there was always good circulation and the fumes from the welding was not as bad as some other types of welding and metal. 

4 hours ago, Running Gator said:

This is an excellent idea and I hope Trump can get it to stick.  The last two presidents also had the same idea but were unable to get any traction on it.  

This is something we need to change at the lowest level, our high schools.  At my son's school the counselors will work to try and talk someone out of a going to a "trade school" as they and the school get graded on how many go off to 4 year colleges.  This is a mindset we need to get away from but it seems to be getting worse instead of better.

My son, who just finished his freshman year, mentioned a trade school to his counselor and her response was basically "well, if you think you are not smart enough for college, then..."

If I were the parent in this situation, I may be walking into that counselors office and asking her  point blank why she insinuated that people that go to trade schools are thought to be "less intelligent".

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.68
  • Days Won:  25

22 minutes ago, Blueyedjewel said:

If I were the parent in this situation, I may be walking into that counselors office and asking her  point blank why she insinuated that people that go to trade schools are thought to be "less intelligent".

I know the counselor personally, she is the same on my daughter had (they are assigned by first letter of the last name) and I dealt with her when I was a Marine Corps recruiter working that High School.   We have had that talk a few times.  

The school and the counselors are graded on how many people go directly to a 4 year college right out of high school.  But there is nothing to track what happens after that.  So they push kids to 4 year schools even if they know they are not right for it.  

It is sad and maddening all at the same time