• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,161
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Yes, we have to bring our bodies under control and be responsible, but we have to remind ourselves at all times that we are a new creation in Christ and our righteousness is only attainable through Christ.

I agree, there will be evidence in the believer concerning mortification of the sinful nature ("flesh," not the body but the nature of the soul), which is performed by the Spirit of God (Rom 8:13; Col 3:5). Many are unaware that the Romans 8:13 passage you mentioned can only refer to the unbeliever concerning the phrase "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die." Believers cannot live after the flesh (old man, sinful nature) because we "are not in the flesh" (Rom 8:9), but are "in the Spirit." 

Not only is it impossible to live after the flesh and after the Spirit (not saying you said this), but living after the flesh results in eternal death, which is not the finality of a believer. Of course the confusion with the these spiritual growth truths primarily derives from not understanding the permanency of regeneration, in which all Bible growth truths are based.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  513
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,194
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, WordSword said:

Amen, and I agree, but we need to define the meaning of "free from sin" (Rom 6:8, 22; 8:2). We should know that it's not freedom from the presence and effects of sin, for its seat (old man) yet resides in the believer. This leaves me with the understanding that this freedom in Christ from sin and the sin nature (Adamic nature) can be only related to sin's inability to "reign" and have "dominion" over the believer (Rom 6:12, 14). The old man can no longer cause us to willfully sin, i.e. Hebrews 10:26 doesn't say "if we sin," but "if we sin willfully."

If the sin nature (old man) can cause us to "sin willfully" (Heb 10:26), then it has dominion and will reign, but this can only be true concerning the unregenerate, for the believer through the "work" of God (Phil 2:13) no longer wills to sin. Thus, the issue is not in the sinning but in whether or not the soul wills to sin or not. 

I believe this is exemplified in Paul's use of the word "captivity" in Romans 7:23, in that we know we will sin but it's as a captive against his will; and the type and frequency of these sins are not the same as those which we committed in an unregenerate state. As we know, when a soul has no power of Christ's Cross to restrain the old man (Rom 6:6) the sins committed are in a greater extreme evil and frequency, unlike those of the regenerate which are progressively less extreme and frequency, due to the new nature in the hands of the Spirit.

Blessings!

I think we should define what it means to “be freed from sin” and “walking in newness of life” the same way Paul describes it in; 

1 Corinthians 4:4 (NKJV)
For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord.

Where Paul was saying he was not conscious of any sins in his life. But, he goes on to say,  that just because he wasn’t conscious of any sins in his life didn’t mean he didn’t have any. Just that he wasn’t conscious of any. I think we should describe “being made free from sin” this way. 

Than he goes on to say it is God that is the final judge. Etc. 

Much love in Christ, Not me 

7 minutes ago, Not me said:

I think we should define what it means to “be freed from sin” and “walking in newness of life” the same way Paul describes it in; 

1 Corinthians 4:4 (NKJV)
For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord.

Where Paul was saying he was not conscious of any sins in his life. But, he goes on to say,  that just because he wasn’t conscious of any sins in his life didn’t mean he didn’t have any. Just that he wasn’t conscious of any. I think we should describe “being made free from sin” this way. 

Than he goes on to say it is God that is the final judge. Etc. 

I'm not seeing what your point is with this passage, but I agree and believe Paul is referring to his conscience. The subject concerning his conscience was that of being a faithful minister (vs 1, 2).

Gill: For I know nothing by myself,.... "Which must be understood with a restriction to the subject he is upon, faithfulness in the ministry; otherwise he knew much by himself of indwelling sin, and the corruption of his nature, which he sometimes found very strong and prevalent in him, and of the daily infirmities of life; but as to his ministerial service, he was pure from the blood of all men; he honestly declared what he knew to be the mind of God, and concealed nothing that might be useful to men; in this he had a clear conscience, void of offence both towards God and men."

https://www.christianity.com/bible/commentary.php?com=gill&b=46&c=4

31 minutes ago, WordSword said:

I'm not seeing what your point is with this passage, but I agree and believe Paul is referring to his conscience. The subject concerning his conscience was that of being a faithful minister (vs 1, 2).

Gill: For I know nothing by myself,.... "Which must be understood with a restriction to the subject he is upon, faithfulness in the ministry; otherwise he knew much by himself of indwelling sin, and the corruption of his nature, which he sometimes found very strong and prevalent in him, and of the daily infirmities of life; but as to his ministerial service, he was pure from the blood of all men; he honestly declared what he knew to be the mind of God, and concealed nothing that might be useful to men; in this he had a clear conscience, void of offence both towards God and men."

https://www.christianity.com/bible/commentary.php?com=gill&b=46&c=4

Sorry but I disagree, Paul was not talking just about him being a faithful minister.  He was talking about his consciousness not being aware of anything against himself. I think Paul’s “I know nothing against myself” means what it says. Paul was saying, as I stated above, he was not conscious of any sin in his life and as I stated above that did not mean he didn’t have any. Etc. 

For Paul was walking in newness of life, which should be common for all believers. 

Edited by Not me

6 minutes ago, Not me said:

Sorry but I disagree, I think Paul’s “I know nothing against myself” means what it says. Paul was saying, as I stated above, he was not conscious of any sin in his life and as I stated above that did not mean he didn’t have any. Etc. 

For Paul was walking in newness of life, which should be common for all believers. 

Of course, it's perfectly acceptable for us having different understanding here. 

8 minutes ago, WordSword said:

Of course, it's perfectly acceptable for us having different understanding here. 

Agreed, growning and drawing closer and closer to Christ is that which is of first importance. I will continue to feed my personal relationship with Christ as I know you will. Prayers and a increase in Christ in your inmost being. 

6 minutes ago, Not me said:

Agreed, growning and drawing closer and closer to Christ is that which is of first importance. I will continue to feed my personal relationship with Christ as I know you will. Prayers and a increase in Christ in your inmost being. 

Amen, this is what God "works" in every believer (Phil 2:13).

Blessings!

6 minutes ago, WordSword said:

Amen, this is what God "works" in every believer (Phil 2:13).

Blessings!

Back-at-cha, always enjoy your posts. See a honest heart after God. 

7 minutes ago, Not me said:

Back-at-cha, always enjoy your posts. See a honest heart after God. 

Same concerning your's!

• Loved it! 1