IGNORED

My friend has strong convictions about not using phones, and he gets mad when I have my phone on around him. Very annoying, and I need advice.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

On 5/26/2019 at 3:24 AM, Amore_Amibo said:

Hello, my name is Aaron. I'm creating this topic because I really need some advice on how to deal with this friend of mine.

To make a long story short, I have a friend who has some very strong convictions about using phones, and it really gets on my nerves. His convictions are fine (and he makes some valid points about people being too absorbed in their phones), but it's very controlling how he doesn't want me to use my phone around him at all. He thinks phones are evil and destructive (He actually got rid of his phone and doesn't respond at all when I text him).

If I have my phone on around him, he'll get very anxious and be like "Um...your phone is too bright, could you shut it off?" even when it's at the lowest brightness setting. It's very, very annoying.

For example, there are times where he'll drive to a new destination (I come with him for the ride), but he refuses to use a GPS and instead has me use the GPS on my phone, to give him directions. 

The thing is, he's very controlling about it. Not only does he NOT want me to show him the actual GPS on my phone (the arrow heading towards said destination), but he also wants me to turn the volume down on my phone because he doesn't want to hear the GPS voice telling him where to go. My friend's all like - "Don't show me the phone at all, and turn the volume all the way down...I just want you to tell me out loud what direction to go when I have to make a turn".  If I show him what direction the Google Maps GPS arrow is headed, he gets mad at me. Have you ever known someone like that, and what did you do? It's fine to have convictions about certain things (phones, movies, TV) but I feel like he's being completely overbearing and OCD about it.

Your friend has some good points. People are addicted to their cell phones today. They are distracting and they make a person antisocial. You have a choice. You can not spend very much time with this friend or he can put away his cell phone when you are around him. I only use my cell phone for emergencies. 

Edited by missmuffet

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/27/2019 at 9:50 AM, Godismyloveforever said:

Why do you send him text messages after he got rid of phone?

He got rid of his cellphone, but he still uses a cheap budget flip phone every now and then. It's weird though, the way he uses it. Like, sometimes he'll text me when we're going to hang out and he says - "Where do you want to go tonight?". I immediately text him back with an idea of where we should go. When he later shows up at my house, the conversation goes something like this...

"So, where do you want to go tonight?"

"Didn't you get my text where I suggested where we should hang out?"

"Nope. I turned off my phone"

Edited by Amore_Amibo

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 5/26/2019 at 11:24 AM, Amore_Amibo said:

Hello, my name is Aaron. I'm creating this topic because I really need some advice on how to deal with this friend of mine.

To make a long story short, I have a friend who has some very strong convictions about using phones, and it really gets on my nerves. His convictions are fine (and he makes some valid points about people being too absorbed in their phones), but it's very controlling how he doesn't want me to use my phone around him at all. He thinks phones are evil and destructive (He actually got rid of his phone and doesn't respond at all when I text him).

If I have my phone on around him, he'll get very anxious and be like "Um...your phone is too bright, could you shut it off?" even when it's at the lowest brightness setting. It's very, very annoying.

For example, there are times where he'll drive to a new destination (I come with him for the ride), but he refuses to use a GPS and instead has me use the GPS on my phone, to give him directions. 

The thing is, he's very controlling about it. Not only does he NOT want me to show him the actual GPS on my phone (the arrow heading towards said destination), but he also wants me to turn the volume down on my phone because he doesn't want to hear the GPS voice telling him where to go. My friend's all like - "Don't show me the phone at all, and turn the volume all the way down...I just want you to tell me out loud what direction to go when I have to make a turn".  If I show him what direction the Google Maps GPS arrow is headed, he gets mad at me. Have you ever known someone like that, and what did you do? It's fine to have convictions about certain things (phones, movies, TV) but I feel like he's being completely overbearing and OCD about it.

How are people supposed to communicate, phones can be a problem or a blessing depending on why your using it.