IGNORED

Have I Followed God's Plan of Giving & Receiving?

Guest Freshoil

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  342
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

Tithes and offerings are such a blown out of context issue. I think its important to know exactly what we should be tithing into...

There was never a tithe mentioned after Jesus died, so i believe its all offering now. All of our money is God's anyway. If you feel God wants you to give to your church or an organisation on a weekly basis then go for it! But know that a tithe is not 10% of your income in a modern context. Back then it was like this:

If a man has 10 cows hes to give one as a tithe. If a man has 2 cows he gives nothing, or what he can. Its easy for people who earn $700+ a week to give 10%. But how about students? Or pensioners on $250 a week? 10% is huge in modern terms! So as long as you know God isnt going to smite you if you cant give the modern version of tem percent, and you give what you can as your tithe, then your doing the right thing.

MAL 3:10 speaks of bringing your tithe to the storehouse, now some churches tell you this storehouse is the church. A storehouse is actually a storage room they used to put food and clothes etc into, to once a week or month or whatever, distribute to the poor, the widows ect... so as long as your tithes and offerings are going into a Church that is focused on giving to those in need, and giving when the need arises (such as the tsunami appeal), and not the main focus being the growth and building size of the church, or how nice a sound system is, then you know your tithes and offerings are going into the right place.

in Malachi it says "Will a man rob God?" no we must not. All we have is his. So remembering that, of course were to do offerings and try to spend our money on things that glorify God, or spread his Gospel. Dont forget Proverbs 21:13, if you shut your ears to the poor you will also not be heard by God. So i guess what im trying to say, is if your money is going into what the bible says for us to, the poor, those in need more than us, then your doing the right thing. If not there is need for repentance and a look at where the Lord's money is going.