unworthyservant

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

I know how sensitive and contentious that politics in the US are these days and I don't usually comment unless I see something so outrageous that I feel I must point it out regardless of the political party of the culprit. Otherwise I only involve myself in trying to convince people that taking public hard line partisan political stands in the current divisive environment can hurt your ability to witness to those of opposite beliefs. That said, all I wanted to say is that what US politics needs is less politicians and more statesmen. James Freeman Clark said the difference is "A politician thinks of the next election. A statesman, of the next generation." That said I'll take statesmen every time but I sure don't see many these days. Will Rogers once said "I always want to vote for the best person for the job, unfortunately they never run" so I'll just keep looking in the hopes that someday they will.

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.34

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:58 PM, unworthyservant said:

I know how sensitive and contentious that politics in the US are these days and I don't usually comment unless I see something so outrageous that I feel I must point it out regardless of the political party of the culprit. Otherwise I only involve myself in trying to convince people that taking public hard line partisan political stands in the current divisive environment can hurt your ability to witness to those of opposite beliefs. That said, all I wanted to say is that what US politics needs is less politicians and more statesmen. James Freeman Clark said the difference is "A politician thinks of the next election. A statesman, of the next generation." That said I'll take statesmen every time but I sure don't see many these days. Will Rogers once said "I always want to vote for the best person for the job, unfortunately they never run" so I'll just keep looking in the hopes that someday they will.

LOL re what Rogers said

I don't think Trump is a true politician, although he does have to think about being re-elected and how to do that and etc... But I think he is in it for the good of the country.. I mean, he was making more money outside the WH

he gives (I think he still gives) his pres. pay check to charity

I am the biggest charity case you could find, so maybe I should write and ask him to give it to me ? :)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

14 hours ago, createdequal said:

LOL re what Rogers said

I don't think Trump is a true politician, although he does have to think about being re-elected and how to do that and etc... But I think he is in it for the good of the country.. I mean, he was making more money outside the WH

he gives (I think he still gives) his pres. pay check to charity

I am the biggest charity case you could find, so maybe I should write and ask him to give it to me ? :)

Actually if you'll check, he doesn't give it to charities but rather to Government agencies such as the SBA, etc. And if you're suggesting that I should praise him for giving his paycheck (which is a pittance compared to his wealth) to Government agencies only after he has a reelection campaign to think about after a lifetime of well documented notoriously miserly giving you're living in a "fool's paradise". I'd be so much more impressed if he would, as Zacchaeus did, say  “Lord, I give half of my goods to the poor; and if I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold.” and then do it. That might actually help in a meaningful way.

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  591
  • Content Per Day:  0.34

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:23 AM, unworthyservant said:

Actually if you'll check, he doesn't give it to charities but rather to Government agencies such as the SBA, etc. And if you're suggesting that I should praise him for giving his paycheck (which is a pittance compared to his wealth) to Government agencies only after he has a reelection campaign to think about after a lifetime of well documented notoriously miserly giving you're living in a "fool's paradise". I'd be so much more impressed if he would, as Zacchaeus did, say  “Lord, I give half of my goods to the poor; and if I have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold.” and then do it. That might actually help in a meaningful way.

well, setting aside the unnecessary snark

yeh... I would be more impressed also. I knew he had given to some govt agencies but I thought that was just a one (or 2 ) time thing. I can't say I am keeping a tally