• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

R. Wurmbrand gives this story:

A girl had an illegitimate child. Wishing to shield her lover from the anger of her father, she accused the pastor of being the guilty one. The girl’s father came to church one Sunday morning with the baby, thrust it into the arms of the pastor and shouted, “Here, villain, take your bastard. You are a whoremonger.” Astonished, the congregation waited for the pastor to defend himself. Instead he caressed the child and said, “So be it! What a beautiful boy. I will give him all my love.” From then on the congregation shunned him. Earning his living by manual labor, he cared for the child. After many years, the girl felt remorse and confessed the truth to her father. The following Sunday the father publicly apologized to the former pastor who now sat on a bench in the rear of the church. “I apologize. I have been misguided; you are completely innocent,” the father said. The pastor replied, “So be it. A handsome boy. I really like him. He is mine.” Still not a word in his own defense; no explanation! Faithfulness to the One who, when reviled, did not revile in return, who was silent before Pilate, though accused of the worst crimes.

Would you defend yourself? When Wurmbrand was imprisoned for his faith, he took the tortures for other Christians so that they might not be harmed.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

I think I'd consider that "indirect lying". I mean, what about the kid? Kid just grew up thinking that the pastor was their dad, only for that to be flipped upside down. He never said it was his, sure, but his agreement implies as much.

I know of a guy who thought he got a girl knocked up. He was there for the birth. He raised her. Only for it to come out that she wasn't his daughter. He still treats her like his daughter, but that's damage to three people. The daughter, the guy, and her actual dad. I just don't see how withholding the truth could be seen as a kindness when it is distinctly damaging to multiple people.

I would not keep it quiet.