• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

If you read nothing else I've said...please read the following:

Was it the ark that saved Noah? Was it his obedience to God's instructions that saved him? Let's see....

In Genesis 6 God tells Noah to build the ark and gives him very specific instructions. He tells him to use gopherwood and to make it about 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. Everything God tells Noah is very detailed and specific, but there is something tucked away inside those instructions that most people overlook. In verse 14, God tells him to coat it with "pitch" inside and out. This is highly important to the story. Pitch was something really thick, similar to tar or maybe sap. Why would God tell Noah to cover the entire ark with this? One, because it was sort of a "waterproof" agent and it would protect and preserve the wood. Two, because although Noah I'm sure worked hard and did his absolute best with the materials he had in order to make the ark exactly as God had instructed, being human..there is no doubt there was bound to be some gaps, some holes..some imperfections. The purpose of the pitch was to seal up all the cracks. Here's what is so cool, the word for "pitch" means: to cover, make atonement, make reconciliation, to ransom, purge, cleanse. Does that sound familiar?

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom (covering, atonement) for many." Mark 10:45

Jesus, in effect, was our "pitch". Yes, we are called to live a holy life...just as Noah was instructed to build this vessel that would save his family. But at the same time....God knows we are human and that we will fail at perfection. He doesn't leave us to drown in our failures and sins, He provides the covering we need and He "seals us" with His Spirit.

"Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered." Ps. 32:1

"You forgave the iniquity of your people and covered all their sins." Ps. 85:2

"Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set His seal of ownership on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come." 2 Corinthians 1:21

This is the beauty of grace and forgiveness, that He covers us. He wants us to obey, to seek holiness and to repent of sin. But He knows that we will always fall short of perfection. Hence, the whole purpose of Him coming to cover us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Re-posting this because the last few repsonses seem to suggest it might've been overlooked. Amen to Ovedya's post. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is one problem with your "pitch" analogy.

The word for pitch is Kopher

The word for atonement is kaphar as a verb and kippur as a noun (like yom kippur).

They are really two different words. Even through I agree with your conclusions, that part of your argument is not strong and is in fact fallacious

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh...I never said it was the same word. I showed how Scripturally the concept was very similar. Calling it "fallacious" is a bit strong don't you think? Especially considering I never claimed it was the same word.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

Was it the ark that saved Noah? Was it his obedience to God's instructions that saved him? Let's see....

In Genesis 6 God tells Noah to build the ark and gives him very specific instructions. He tells him to use gopherwood and to make it about 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. Everything God tells Noah is very detailed and specific, but there is something tucked away inside those instructions that most people overlook. In verse 14, God tells him to coat it with "pitch" inside and out. This is highly important to the story. Pitch was something really thick, similar to tar or maybe sap. Why would God tell Noah to cover the entire ark with this? One, because it was sort of a "waterproof" agent and it would protect and preserve the wood. Two, because although Noah I'm sure worked hard and did his absolute best with the materials he had in order to make the ark exactly as God had instructed, being human..there is no doubt there was bound to be some gaps, some holes..some imperfections. The purpose of the pitch was to seal up all the cracks. Here's what is so cool, the word for "pitch" means: to cover, make atonement, make reconciliation, to ransom, purge, cleanse. Does that sound familiar?

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom (covering, atonement) for many." Mark 10:45

Jesus, in effect, was our "pitch". Yes, we are called to live a holy life...just as Noah was instructed to build this vessel that would save his family. But at the same time....God knows we are human and that we will fail at perfection. He doesn't leave us to drown in our failures and sins, He provides the covering we need and He "seals us" with His Spirit.

"Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered." Ps. 32:1

"Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set His seal of ownership on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come." 2 Corinthians 1:21

This is the beauty of grace and forgiveness, that He covers us. He wants us to obey, to seek holiness and to repent of sin. But He knows that we will always fall short of perfection. Hence, the whole purpose of Him coming to cover us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Re-posting this because the last few repsonses seem to suggest it might've been overlooked. Amen to Ovedya's post. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The word for atonement is kaphar as a verb and kippur as a noun (like yom kippur).

They are really two different words. Even through I agree with your conclusions, that part of your argument is not strong and is in fact fallacious

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh...I never said it was the same word. I showed how Scripturally the concept was very similar. Calling it "fallacious" is a bit strong don't you think? Especially considering I never claimed it was the same word.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kaphar, Kopher are connected to Kippur or atone/cover. The pitch is a picture of the blood of Christ which atones or covers our sin. The picture is obvious, I think.

There is no fallacy in Tess's words. It would only be "fallacious" if her explanation of the picture was wrong. Kudos to all you have said, Tess. Especially your first response on this thread. Well done!! :)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kaphar, Kopher are connected to Kippur or atone/cover. The pitch is a picture of the blood of Christ which atones or covers our sin. The picture is obvious, I think.

There is no fallacy in Tess's words. It would only be "fallacious" if her explanation of the picture was wrong. Kudos to all you have said, Tess. Especially your first response on this thread. Well done!! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually it is fallacious. It is called the "root fallacy". It assumes that because words have a similar point of origin or root, that the meanings of both are inherant any time either is used.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually it is fallacious. It is called the "root fallacy". It assumes that because words have a similar point of origin or root, that the meanings of both are inherant any time either is used.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, I wouldn't debate it with Shiloh, if I remember right he's fluent in Hebrew. :)

Secondly, where did she claim what you're accusing her of? Be careful how you make accusations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, I wouldn't debate it with Shiloh, if I remember right he's fluent in Hebrew. :)

Secondly, where did she claim what you're accusing her of? Be careful how you make accusations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kaphar, Kopher are connected to Kippur or atone/cover.  The pitch is a picture of the blood of Christ which atones or covers our sin.  The picture is obvious, I think.

She maintains that kippur and kopher are all connected to the word atone, so since they are connected nuances can be borrowed between the two. I took 5 years of Hebrew for the record.

My question is how can we be sure Mose intended the concept of atonement to be included when he described God's command to put pitch on the ark. The danger is that we are reading a meaning into the story that was not intended by the author. There is nothing in the text of Genesis 6, other than the similarity of the word for pitch and atone that demands we connect the placing of pitch on the ark with what Christ does for us at atonement.

Mind you, I am in full agreement with her conclusions of what Christ does. I just don't think the "pitch" / "atonement" argument is the strongest. It is not clear to me that the inclusion of Noah putting pitch on the ark has the significance she attributes. That Moses intened we make this connection. It is not demanded from the text. We may be able to make an anecdotal connection. But the commonality of the root of the 2 words does not support the analogy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She maintains that kippur and kopher are all connected to the word atone, so since they are connected nuances can be borrowed between the two. I took 5 years of Hebrew for the record. My question is how can we be sure Mose intended the concept of atonement to be included when he described God's command to put pitch on the ark. The danger is that we are reading a meaning into the story that was not intended by the author

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How can we be sure the author didn't mean that?

If anything, she is making a play on words and drawing an analogy. Just as the sap covered up the holes left by Noah, so God's grace covers our imperfections. It's an analogy...I think that is where you are getting confused.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She maintains that kippur and kopher are all connected to the word atone, so since they are connected nuances can be borrowed between the two. I took 5 years of Hebrew for the record. My question is how can we be sure Mose intended the concept of atonement to be included when he described God's command to put pitch on the ark. The danger is that we are reading a meaning into the story that was not intended by the author

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How can we be sure the author didn't mean that?

If anything, she is making a play on words and drawing an analogy. Just as the sap covered up the holes left by Noah, so God's grace covers our imperfections. It's an analogy...I think that is where you are getting confused.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is my point exactly. We can't be sure either way. So the most we can say is that by analogy the concepts appear to be alike. But we cannot appeal to this on lexical grounds as if it is concrete fact. It is our opinion, because it cannot be substantiated.

Again I agree with her conclusions. I just don't thin they can be supported from the text in question. My question is how can we be sure Mose intended the concept of atonement to be included when he described God's command to put pitch on the ark. The danger is that we are reading a meaning into the story that was not intended by the author. There is nothing in the text of Genesis 6, other than the similarity of the word for pitch and atone that demands we connect the placing of pitch on the ark with what Christ does for us at atonement.

Mind you, I am in full agreement with her conclusions of what Christ does. I just don't think the "pitch" / "atonement" argument is the strongest. It is not clear to me that the inclusion of Noah putting pitch on the ark has the significance she attributes. That Moses intened we make this connection. It is not demanded from the text. We may be able to make an anecdotal connection. But the commonality of the root of the 2 words does not support the analogy.

She wasn't trying to make a lexical arguement. Instead she was using it as an analogy to explain what she was saying.

She wasn't trying to make a lexical arguement. Instead she was using it as an analogy to explain what she was saying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It appeared to be lexical to me in that she appealed to the commonality of the words in terms of their roots. That is what drew my attention. If we are sysing this is just an analogy we are drawing on our own, that has no basis in the words themselves, I am fine with that. Basically we are then saying it is not derived directly from the text, but by analogy.

I think that is an important distinction in regards to determining the texts single meaning

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

Give me a break. What has happened to this board? A person cannot even post something worthy without it being picked to death. I never "drew conclusions" or made "lexical" anything. And if you agreed with the concept, then why do you feel the need to pick it apart? If I had been in grave error or stated something unbiblical I could see a correction. But this is ridiculous. You're wasting your time. If you want to pick something apart...how about taking a stab at the original article with is packed with unsound doctrine and scriptural errors.