• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries will be unable to meet projected western demand in 10 to 15 years.

Western Demand? What about China? I have no doubt that there are technologies that many governments have shelved that may soon find their way to production in the near future. I never considered it before but any technology that is brought into the open today is likely to be put in use world wide in a short time (if its any good). Just Imagine if the had a carburator that did get 100 miles to the gallon. What effect would that have on the world economy? THATS the way the Politicians think. Without world demand for something they control where would they get their MONEY?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/27/1975

Fuel cells power by liquid or gaseous fuels have a myriad of problems the major one being storing the Hydrogen.

Hydrogen being the lightest element is very difficult to contain for long periods because is passes easily through most membranes. In order to store it in liquid phase it requires huge compressors and very high pressure tanks.

Other storage methods require lots of energy and reduce the efficiency to where it's worse than fossil fueled cars.

Couple that with the very strigent filtration requirements to prevent smog and other airborne contaminants from destroying the semi permious membrane in a fuel cell and you have a technology that is at least 7-10 years from reality in the private market if not more.

Electric cars are okay for in town, but most have max ranges of ~100 miles or less.

For now it looks like hydrids and smaller cars are going to be the wave of the near future.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Seems to me that the horse and buggy would be far more fuel efficient than any hi tech option :rolleyes:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Seems to me that the horse and buggy would be far more fuel efficient than any hi tech option :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah. If we all went back to horse and buggy the environmentalists would complain about all the "methane emissions" in the air. Can't pollute the air with horse farts, now can we?

"Horse muflers" give a bad visual.

Sorry...

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

The fact is this, if the US wants to still have an economy within 10 years, they have to develope an alternative form of fuel and they have to do it quick and get it mass produced. Otherwise, and mark my words, the economy will collapse. If the US loses the very thing that literally keeps our machine going, we'll have nothing.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah. If we all went back to horse and buggy the environmentalists would complain about all the "methane emissions" in the air. Can't pollute the air with horse farts, now can we?

"Horse muflers" give a bad visual.

Sorry...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget PETA too. Horses are our friends, not our slaves... :cool:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/27/1975

The fact is this, if the US wants to still have an economy within 10 years, they have to develope an alternative form of fuel and they have to do it quick and get it mass produced. Otherwise, and mark my words, the economy will collapse. If the US loses the very thing that literally keeps our machine going, we'll have nothing.

The market will adjust provided the government doesn't overregulate. Regulation is what kills private development.

Gasification of coal will be the next big step towards energy independence as we have a 150 year supply of coal.

They key is reduction of use. When the price gets high enough, use will go down and the demand for fuel efficient cars will rise.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

So far, we are talking cars, busses, and maybe trains, but what about planes? To include military aircraft, is there anything in the future for aircraft?

Another question I have is about lubricating oils and greases. I know that diesel and gasoline are major, but how much of the fossil fuel market do things like that make up?

Thanks,

t.