copenhagen

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I've watched portions of sermons by several megachurch pastors by now. I've read about all of their scandals, their exploitation of gospel for their own financial gain, and their wanton license when it comes to quoting and interpreting scripture. Their reputations precede them. Nearly all of them have been exposed for unscrupulous behavior totally antithetical to actual Christian teachings. 

Yet, I still feel "entertained" by these pastors to a degree that almost never happens with local church pastors. With local pastors, I am often bored to the point that I check the clock with some frequency, or even begin to doze off. On more than a few occasions, I've become irritated because much of their sermon was so insubstantial or irrelevant that it could've been left out altogether as so much refuse. Yet, these local pastors are trying in their own awkward and bumbling way, to do the right thing and speak directly from scripture. 

I've searched far and wide for teachings which preach substance of Christianity in a compelling and I dare say entertaining or at least engaging manner and I rarely if ever find it. Should I just resign myself to slogging through sermons in this way? Sometimes I see fellow worshipers waving their hands about, even dancing, moved emotionally while I struggle to stay awake. Typically these are just a few in the front row, some of whom I know for a fact enjoy making a spectacle of themselves. Anyway, I will keep searching. 

Edited by copenhagen