Shalom

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Just a query.  Has anyone here done an in-depth study of the depth, breadth of that so often use blessing of Shalom???

if you have what did you come up with???

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Shalom.

I have not done an in-depth study; however, this may be of some interest to you. Shalom is more than a greeting; although, I have heard that especially in Israel it is customary to say upon greeting someone, and departing. In fact, I do not live in Israel; however, it is common for me to answer the phone this way, and I also do so before hanging up. 

Shalom is often translated as peace, as is clear from the more formal phrase, "shalom aleichem," peace unto you. Incidentally, the appropriate response is "aleichem shalom," unto you peace. The shoresh (root word) that shalom is derived is Sh-L-M (Shin, Lamed, Mem). The root meaning may also connote "a sense of wholeness," as in the word, shalam. So, I've heard that in a way, if someone wishes you shalom, it is more than peace; it implies wholeness.

These are only a few thoughts, based on what I've heard; yet, there must be a lot more to learn through research. Since, I have never done a Bible study, I can not offer any comments on its Biblical usage. Looking at the different ways the word shalom may be used, and translated in the Bible should yield interesting results.

Shalom. - Shimon

Judaic-Christian studies. No.3 Kesher. The Hebrew connnection.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cfi.org.uk%2Fdownloads%2Fshalom.pdf&data=02%7C01%7C%7C859230962afd4a9f062708d8276a727b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637302685559550808&sdata=sRujRNXnr%2FCfgvmuT5MudYGURnkpMnayZEuMO4yfWoU%3D&reserved=0
shalom.
Strongs. ==>Includes completeness, wholeness, health, welfare,safety, soundness, tranquility,, prosperity, perfectness, fullness, rest, harmony, & calmness.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

I know when I was in middle eastern Arab countries (Saudi, Jordan, UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait) they also use Shalom for greeting and salutations.  I thought was interesting but they are also descendants of Abraham.  Had a few discussions with them and they are well versed in the teachings of Moses and honor the Sabbath (at least they dont work on Saturday, most business are closed on Saturday for religious purposes) and they follow much of the same commandments.  

Edited by Jedi4Yahweh