• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

parashas Va’etchanan

"But you who held fast [davak] to the L-RD your G-d are alive every one of you this day.”

• - Deuteronomy 4:4, JPS 1917 Tanach

Moses emphasizes to the new generation, that in juxtaposition to those who fell prey to the idolatry of the Moabites, and were destroyed by H’Shem; those who remained alive, held fast (davak) to H’Shem. Their steadfastness represents the ideal of deveykus, clinging to H’Shem.

“You shall fear the L-RD your G-d; him shall you serve, and to Him shall you hold fast [davak]” (Deuteronomy 10:20). The Sages note that elsewhere it is written, “For the L-RD your G-d is a consuming fire” (Deuteronomy 4:24). They ask how is it possible to cling to H’Shem, if “G-d is a consuming fire?” The answer given is that one clings to H’Shem by attaching himself to a tzaddik (a righteous person).

In light of this explanation, it was B’nei Yisrael’s connection to Moses that brought them close to G-d. He served as an intermediary between the Children of Israel and G-d: “I stood between the L-RD and you at that time [on Mount Sinai], to tell you the word of the L-RD; for you were afraid because of the fire” (Deuteronomy 5:5).

“The one with deveykus (“cleaving, attachment”) to H’Shem has achdus (union) in the Ruach HaKodesh [Holy Spirit] with Elokim [G-d].”

• - Kehillah (Assembly) in Corinth 6:17, Orthodox Jewish Bible

Moshe intervened for the people, when they transgressed with the golden calf, and G-d was about to destroy them: Moshe pleaded with H’Shem (the L-RD), “turn from Your fierce anger, and repent of this evil against your people” (Exodus 32:11-12). He served as a mediator on behalf of the people; he foreshadows the Tzaddik HaOlam, through which one cleaves to H’Shem. These considerations serve as a background, to view the words of Yeshua:

“I am HaDerech [the Way], HaEmes [the Truth], and HaChayyim [the Life]. No one comes to HaAv [the Father] except through me (Yochanan 14:6, OJB). “For G-d is one; and there is but one Mediator between G-d and humanity, Yeshua the Messiah (1 Timothy 2:5, Complete Jewish Bible). Moshe’s role as intermediary for B’nei Yisrael points towards the role of Moshiach (Messiah), the Righteous One.

Therefore, let us approach with bitachon [trust] the Kisse of Chesed [Throne of Grace], that we may receive rachamin [mercy] and may find chesed [grace] for timely ezrah (aid) (Yehudim in Moshiach 4:16, OJB). For, as Moses stood between H'Shem and Bnei Yisrael, so does the Messiah, who is likened to Moses: I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I command (Deuteronomy 18:18, JPS 1917 Tanach).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

Yes we have a great high priest who knows our weaknesses, yet has covered them with the blood of his sacrifice.

We have much o be grateful for our saviour and Lord.

• Thumbs Up 1