Mike Mclees

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0

I dropped the subject but the baby refuses to go away . I've been reading the subject everyday not to mention we live in it everyday. This argument is extremely complex, and as the man says we may never discover the mystery. It just dawned  me after reading things about atheists. It cam to me that the highest of complexity is  the mind or conscious mind and if there would be any reality in all creation if we as His people  did not have this autonomous  mind that you cannot feel see. To put is mildly atheists are lunatics to say there is no God

Descartes and the Discovery of the Mind-Body Problem

The French philosopher René Descartes is often credited with discovering the mind-body problem, a mystery that haunts philosophers to this day. The reality is more complicated than that.

descartes-lede-700x280.jpg

By: Jonathan Westphal

Consider the human body, with everything in it, including internal and external organs and parts — the stomach, nerves and brain, arms, legs, eyes, and all the rest. Even with all this equipment, especially the sensory organs, it is surprising that we can consciously perceive things in the world that are far away from us. For example, I can open my eyes in the morning and see a cup of coffee waiting for me on the bedside table. There it is, a foot away, and I am not touching it, yet somehow it is making itself manifest to me. How does it happen that I see it? How does the visual system convey to my awareness or mind the image of the cup of coffee?

Jacket cover for "The Mind-Body Problem" by Jonathan Westphal This article is adapted from Jonathan Westphal’s book “The Mind-Body Problem,” part of the MIT Press Essential Knowledge series.

The answer is not particularly simple. Very roughly, the physical story is that light enters my eyes from the cup of coffee, and this light impinges on the two retinas at the backs of the eyes. Then, as we have learned from physiological science, the two retinas send electrical signals past the optic chiasm down the optic nerve. These signals are conveyed to the so-called visual cortex at the back of the brain. And then there is a sort of a miracle. The visual cortex becomes active, and I see the coffee cup. I am conscious of the cup, we might even say, though it is not clear what this means and how it differs from saying that I see the cup.

One minute there are just neurons firing away, and no image of the cup of coffee. The next, there it is; I see the cup of coffee, a foot away. How did my neurons contact me or my mind or consciousness, and stamp there the image of the cup of coffee for me?

It’s a mystery. That mystery is the mind-body problem.

and

God being all powerful gave us eyes to see and if He meant that we be able to see His creation there would not be a reality existence man would be a useless nothing. How ever there may be a matrix  :cool:  

Edited by Mike Mclees
  • Thumbs Up 1