More info.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

And a related passage. This is a difficult passage for many. The underlined sentence below I believe means those who continue to habitually sin.  

1 John 3:6-10 NLT
[6] Anyone who continues to live in him will not sin. But anyone who keeps on sinning does not know him or understand who he is. [7] Dear children, don't let anyone deceive you about this: When people do what is right, it shows that they are righteous, even as Christ is righteous. [8] But when people keep on sinning, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil. [9] Those who have been born into God's family do not make a practice of sinning, because God's life is in them. So they can't keep on sinning, because they are children of God. [10] So now we can tell who are children of God and who are children of the devil. Anyone who does not live righteously and does not love other believers b does not belong to God. …

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,108
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

4 minutes ago, WayneS said:

And a related passage. This is a difficult passage for many. The underlined sentence below I believe means those who continue to habitually sin.  

1 John 3:6-10 NLT
[6] Anyone who continues to live in him will not sin. But anyone who keeps on sinning does not know him or understand who he is. [7] Dear children, don't let anyone deceive you about this: When people do what is right, it shows that they are righteous, even as Christ is righteous. [8] But when people keep on sinning, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil. [9] Those who have been born into God's family do not make a practice of sinning, because God's life is in them. So they can't keep on sinning, because they are children of God. [10] So now we can tell who are children of God and who are children of the devil. Anyone who does not live righteously and does not love other believers b does not belong to God. …

Thanks for sharing Wayne. I especially like the highlighted areas. Making a "practice of" or a "habit of" sinning denotes a continued ongoing process as opposed to occasionally "slipping up" and confessing that sin. We know "slipping up" is really bad as Christians and should avoid it. 

Inherent human nature means we might commit what we see as a "small" sin as compared to the perceived "large" sins. In reality I am still forced to admit sin is easy. Things such as thinking the wrong thoughts, having the wrong motives are all there even if we didn't carry any of it out.

How do you see this?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Starise said:

How do you see this?

Occasionally I actually believe that I’m doing pretty well as far as not sinning goes, the changes it me due to the Holy Spirit are just amazing. But then I realize how short the target I really am. Recently I realized my lack of generosity. A year ago I would not have thought about this. But now I realize how tight fisted I’ve been for most of my life. I am sooooo short of the target, and often I don’t even realize it.

So I’ve begun to practice generosity (initially I didn’t like it!). But over time it has become much more of a habit for me and it just feels good.
Often I am sinning, falling short of the target, and don’t even know it. 

To answer you specifically,  when I first came to faith my sinful thoughts were quite often, but over time they have diminished, and I believe this is all due to the Holy Spirit working in me.

• Thumbs Up 1