• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

On 2/8/2021 at 12:25 PM, Unit 11 said:

I was just thinking of the old infamous saying, "God told me to tell you what to do." And musing that maybe every day someone's telling someone that, somewhere in the world.

So I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard, or been led to say, something like:

"God told me to let you be you."

"God told me to stop pressuring you to (fill in the blank with anything)." 

"God told me to give you advice only if you ask for it, otherwise I should look to my own life."

"God told me to leave you alone, that you're perfectly capable of being right with Him without my help."

Just a thought...

In most cases, God has told them no such thing.  The claim has been used in many cases of spiritual abuse, where the person saying it is taking God's name in vain to exert power and control over the other person.

If someone told me, "God told me", etc., my answer would be, "I will wait until God tells me too."

Because we have the Holy Spirit indwelling us, He is quite capable of letting us know what His directions and teaching are, without having to use a third party.  God is not a gossip.   He does not share private information about us to other people.

I am aware of the manifestation of the gifts of prophecy, word of knowledge, of wisdom, and discerning of spirits, where the Holy Spirit can speak to us through another member of the body of Christ.  But, the person exercising the gift does not have to say "God told me", etc., because if the Holy Spirit is speaking prophetically through the person, we will know all about it because the Holy Spirit will confirm it in our own spirit.

so, if someone comes up to you and says, "God told me", etc., take it with a grain of salt unless the Holy Spirit spirit confirm it to you.  If the person uses the statement to try and reveal sin in you, give him the bum's rush without hesitation and plead the blood of Jesus against what he is saying, because God never does that, and it could very well be an attack of a spirit of divination.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Paul James said:

If someone told me, "God told me", etc., my answer would be, "I will wait until God tells me too."

Because we have the Holy Spirit indwelling us, He is quite capable of letting us know what His directions and teaching are, without having to use a third party.  God is not a gossip.   He does not share private information about us to other people.

Spot on.