• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Graham has some "Calvanistic" beliefs. The whole "predestination" and "elect" issues.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/20/1959

Is there a passage in the bible that says "the bible is inerrant"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2Tim 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for correction for reproof, for instruction in righteousness.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  722
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

"Sanctify them through thy TRUTH: thy Word is TRUTH."-John 17:17

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2Tim 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for correction for reproof, for instruction in righteousness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, that doesn't say the Bible is inerrant either. All that says is that "scripture" is inspired by God and is useful. If I write a song because I was inspired by a dog we wouldn't assume that the dog actually told me what notes to play. Being inspired to write something is very different than being directed on what to write.

Also, since 2 Timothy was written (presumably) hundreds of years before the Bible was created we wouldn't assume he was talking about the cannonized version of the bible. Also there are many examples of scripture around that didn't make it into the cannon, he would have been refering to them as well wouldn't he?

So where does the notion of a inerrant Bible come from since it is not found anywhere within the bible?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Foglight,

You are free to interpret scripture any way you want, just remember that just because you believe something doesn't make it the truth.

Scripture in 2Tim 3:16: graphe- a document, i.e. holy Writ according to Strong's lexicon.

inspired in 2Tim 3:16: theopneustos- divinely breathed --given by inspiration of God according to Strong's lexicon.

According to Gill's Exposition: "...and he means all of it; not only the books of the Old Testament, but of the New, the greatest part of which was now written; for this second epistle of Timothy is by some thought to be the last of Paul's epistles."

Your inspiration analogy is not appropriate to this case. All scripture is God breathed, so yes God did tell Paul and John and all the others exactly what to write. You can continue to deny this truth, but it is truth nonetheless.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, that doesn't say the Bible is inerrant either. All that says is that "scripture" is inspired by God and is useful. If I write a song because I was inspired by a dog we wouldn't assume that the dog actually told me what notes to play. Being inspired to write something is very different than being directed on what to write.

Also, since 2 Timothy was written (presumably) hundreds of years before the Bible was created we wouldn't assume he was talking about the cannonized version of the bible. Also there are many examples of scripture around that didn't make it into the cannon, he would have been refering to them as well wouldn't he?

So where does the notion of a inerrant Bible come from since it is not found anywhere within the bible?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Foglight,

You are free to interpret scripture any way you want, just remember that just because you believe something doesn't make it the truth.

Scripture in 2Tim 3:16: graphe- a document, i.e. holy Writ according to Strong's lexicon.

inspired in 2Tim 3:16: theopneustos- divinely breathed --given by inspiration of God according to Strong's lexicon.

According to Gill's Exposition: "...and he means all of it; not only the books of the Old Testament, but of the New, the greatest part of which was now written; for this second epistle of Timothy is by some thought to be the last of Paul's epistles."

Your inspiration analogy is not appropriate to this case. All scripture is God breathed, so yes God did tell Paul and John and all the others exactly what to write. You can continue to deny this truth, but it is truth nonetheless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if he told them "exactly" what to write but I do believe that God allowed them to write what He purposed them to write. He didn't dictate word for word, but allowed their personalities to come out in their writings.JMOP :emot-questioned:

Serotta,

Quite true, but in just these few posts, who has presented arguments based on fact and thoughtful research and who has voiced only opinion? I pray that one day you will see the error of your beliefs and submit to the one, true, loving God.

A little OT, but in keeping with my last post I wanted to share George's message from today's Worthy Brief:

In 1865 Matthew Shiel, sailing the Caribbean, came upon the Island of Redona and claimed it for his infant son, Felipe.  Years later, he brought the boy to the island, and he was proclaimed King Felipe I.  The new King appointed several of his friends as dukes and when he died one of these dukes became the new king, King Juan I.  The funny thing is that the Kingdom of Redona was only 1 mile in length, and 1/2 mile in width.  It was totally uninhabited.  They were, in effect, king of nobody.

It's easy to proclaim ourselves king.  When we say, "It's my life -- I'll do whatever feels good to me -- I'll go wherever I want, say whatever I want, buy whatever I want, eat whatever I want, etc...", we are proclaiming ourselves king over our own lives.  It might feel good for a little while -- but soon enough our hearts and lives become empty -- as empty as the Island of Redona.

Only He who gave us life, can be King over it!  When we try to be king, we end up with nothing. But when we make the Lord King over our lives, we have an abundance!

Let's get off our thrones!  Let's let the Lord be King.  It is a far higher position to be a child of the Most High, than King of Redona.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

To the Title, if the Bible is NOT the Word of God....then who are going to believE??

The book of Mormon???? :)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  722
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

To the Title, if the Bible is NOT the Word of God....then who are going to believE??

The book of Mormon???? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good question and in it's simplest form easy to answer. The bible doesn't have to be inerrant in order for the lessons and wisdom to be true and meaningful.

Beyond that, what do people who have never read the bible do? How did societies form and flourish before the Bible was created?

They believed what they could reason to be true and obeyed the rules of their society. It works like this, I won't steal from you if you don't steal from me ok? This is a good way to live. I won't try to kill you if you don't try to kill me. I won't sleep with your wife if you don't sleep with mine... pretty soon you have rules by which everyone agrees are the best to follow so that we can all live together.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Foglight...you bring up some honest and intellectual questions here. Remember, that even the Bible itself speaks of people who did not or do not have the Bible at their disposal. The Word of God tells us that every man in the day of judgement will be without excuse of rejecting the Living God. Why? Because God speaks to those without the Bible through other avenues and in other ways. Namely, His creation and our conscience. Romans chapter 2 speaks of this in elequent terms. Please read it as it should be helpful to you in your journey:

"Therefore, thou are INEXCUSEABLE, O man...we are sure that the JUDGEMENT OF GOD IS ACCORDING TO TRUTH...For there is no RESPECT OF PERSONS with God. For as many as have sinned WITHOUT THE LAW (BIBLE) shall also perish without the Law: and as many as have sinned IN THE LAW (BIBLE) shall be judged by the Law...For when the Gentiles (heathen), which HAVE NOT THE LAW (BIBLE), do BY NATURE the things contained in the Law, these, having not the Law, ARE A LAW UNTO THEMSELVES: which shew the work of the Law WRITTEN IN THEIR HEARTS, their CONSCIENCE also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another. In the day when GOD SHALL JUDGE THE SECRETS OF MEN BY JESUS CHRIST ACCORDING TO MY GOSPEL."-Romans 2:1-16

Guest brandplucked
So did your bible lead you to Christ and show you where to find Him?

Yes, it did and still does. I didn't know at the time that the King James Bible was God's only pure words, but that is the Bible He used to bring me to Christ my Lord and Saviour.

God bless,

Will K