• Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,788
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Hello dear brothers and sisters,

Not too often do I have the time to sit down and write like I used to, but this weekend I found some time to write this article. Hopefully once I get to Israel I will be able to sit down and write again because it really is a passion of mine. Anyway have fun reading.

Yemeni Gets Death Sentence for Killing U.S. Missionaries

by George Whitten, Editor of Worthy News

May 12, 2002

Baltimore, Md (Worthy News) -- A Yemeni court sentenced a man to death on Saturday for the murder of three U.S. missionaries last year because he wanted to get closer to God. Abed Abdel Razzak Kamel testified in court that he killed the Americans to defend Islam because he believed they were sterilizing Muslim women and trying to convert Muslims to Christianity.

Last year on December 30th, Kamel smuggled a rifle into the Baptist-run hospital located in Jibla, Yemen. He then murdered American missionaries Martha Myers, Bill Koehn, and Kathy Gariety while seriously injuring another.

During the trial, Kamel was quoted as saying, "I acted out of a religious duty...and in revenge from those who converted Muslims from their religion and made them unbelievers."

"They were also committing another corruption," he said, claiming he had learned that women were visiting the hospital to get sterilized.

"This is a violation of Islam," he told the court.

Kamel condemned the ruling as a violation of Islamic sharia law. His lawyer is planning to appeal the sentence, which is usually enforced by firing squad.

Kamel was closely connected to the al Qaeda network. Audiotapes with the voice of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden were seized by authorities at Kamel's house. Also, a state-run newspaper reported in January that Kamel admitted to meeting members of the al Qaeda network, including a suicide bomber who attacked the warship USS Cole in Yemen in October 2000.

Yemen, the ancestral home of Osama bin Laden, is a rugged desert country that lies along Saudi Arabia's southern border.

For 35 years, Southern Baptists have treated some 40,000 patients a year at the 45-bed hospital in Jibla, a small town in southern Yemen located 125 miles south of Sanaa, the nation's capital.

Ironically, the hospital, run by the International Mission Board, was scheduled to temporarily suspend operations on Dec. 30, the day of the attacks, and turn administration of the hospital over to a nonreligious Yemeni charity.

But since the attacks, miracles continue to happen in Jibla.

Martha Myers, 57, a physician from Alabama; William Koehn, 60, an administrator from Texas; and Kathleen Gariety, 53, a purchasing agent from Wisconsin were all buried in Yemen. The missionaries decided long ago to be buried in Yemen, and the murders have sparked a spiritual awakening in the region.

During the missionaries

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  252
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,859
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

Great article George. I wonder why any man thinks he has the right to play God?