• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,883
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

12 hours ago, HopeInHim said:

I think my struggle with the first part is that both of my parents already see themselves as sincere Christians and don’t seem to doubt their behavior at all.

I can relate somewhat. Though far from abusive (quite the opposite really, for which I praise God), my mom is like so many; lip service to Christianity without any real heart change. It's hard to know how to witness to people like that, who believe they already are Christians.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

There is no medicine, no cure, no balm in Gilead for some people. All you can do is shake off the dust of your feet, and leave them with their problems. Continue to pray.

I try to build a circle of positive, spiritual influences around me. 

Godspeed

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,412
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

On 8/15/2021 at 6:00 AM, Justin Adams said:

From what you have recounted I think distance is the only option. Live your life well and without regrets. People who are hurt hurt others. Never be backed into a corner of guilt.

This, very very much. Forgiving someone doesn't mean you have to be around them, especially if they're continuing in undesirable behaviors.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  148
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

On 8/18/2021 at 1:59 PM, Bobby Thomasson said:

There is no medicine, no cure, no balm in Gilead for some people. All you can do is shake off the dust of your feet, and leave them with their problems. Continue to pray.

I try to build a circle of positive, spiritual influences around me. 

Godspeed

Thank you, I believe you are right. God bless. 

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I have had similar issues in my family only with my brother.  My older sister would try to shame or guilt me saying I wasn't "Christian" because I distanced myself from him.  I should "forgive" him and accept him as he was.  Well... first of all, forgiving is one thing, but you are not required to stay in a relationship with all that abuse.   Do NOT let them guilt you.  It's a manipulative action used on you to get what they want.  Stand strong.  It's hard I know but in the end your life will be better for it.  God bless you!

• Loved it! 1

11 hours ago, kamptlneb said:

I have had similar issues in my family only with my brother.  My older sister would try to shame or guilt me saying I wasn't "Christian" because I distanced myself from him.  I should "forgive" him and accept him as he was.  Well... first of all, forgiving is one thing, but you are not required to stay in a relationship with all that abuse.   Do NOT let them guilt you.  It's a manipulative action used on you to get what they want.  Stand strong.  It's hard I know but in the end your life will be better for it.  God bless you!

Thank you. Yes it is very difficult to stand strong in the face of it sometimes, but thank you for the encouragement. God bless you too. :)

• 1 month later...

Sometimes I wonder if God will someday ask parents to answer for the job they have done in raising up their children. Or the lack of effort they have put into guiding and directing those children…

Why do parents make a decision to put a child on this earth when they will put almost no effort into teaching and leading that child into adulthood? 

I pray that God would help me to feel more mercy towards them because sometimes all I really want is to see them finally reap their consequences.

• 1 year later...

On 8/23/2021 at 6:21 AM, kamptlneb said:

Over a year later on this thread but I can't believe it escaped me to react to this response. I have been working through this in the last year and really feel that God is graciously teaching me and providing me with growing wisdom on the matter. It's one thing to speak the words from your mouth but another to feel them communicated to your spirit by our loving God. The shaming really is a response of those who just want things to go back to "normal" for them, isn't it? Yes, we can forgive, regardless of whether the offender ever asks for forgiveness. But that does not erase the fact that there are consequences to their sin. The offender is expecting us to sweep those consequences under the rug and pretend they don't exist when they expect us to enter back into a relationship with them in the same way.

God bless you also!

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,218
  • Content Per Day:  2.08

There used to be laws that makes it so if a person experiencing Serious Mental Illness is left homeless or without care, That their remaining surviving family is supposed to take care of them.

If these laws are replaced with other laws, It will leave them homeless which is not good for the working people who are capable of functioning a normal job, Either. 

My blood relative cousin would not take me in and the law will not make him. I have so much animosity towards my extended family. Jesus came for these people, as well. Prayers for you. 

Edited by believeinHim
  • Praying! 1

5 hours ago, believeinHim said:

There used to be laws that makes it so if a person experiencing Serious Mental Illness is left homeless or without care, That their remaining surviving family is supposed to take care of them.

If these laws are replaced with other laws, It will leave them homeless which is not good for the working people who are capable of functioning a normal job, Either. 

My blood relative cousin would not take me in and the law will not make him. I have so much animosity towards my extended family. Jesus came for these people, as well. Prayers for you. 

I don’t know much about these laws but I find it interesting that there would be laws against parents/family leaving those with mental illness homeless/without care but no laws against parents leaving their other child basically homeless.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1