IGNORED

I need a personal Relationship

Guest Hannah Marie

Guest Hannah Marie

I have been trying to start a personal relationship with God for over a year now and have not gotten anywhere. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Help please~

Hannah Marie

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have been trying to start a  personal relationship with God for over a year now and have not gotten anywhere. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Help please~

Hannah Marie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have been trying, and have accepted Christ, the Lord has already accepted the invitation.

You may not know it, but he is already with you.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/06/1992

I have been trying to start a

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I have been trying to start a

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Maybe a big explosive feeling is what you are looking for.

I know a family whoose sons are "seeking" for God, and I think that they will not accept Christ, until they have a big "revelation!"

I just want to shake them, and say "you don't need a BIG Bang to accept Christ!!!"

But of course, I can't do that.... :noidea:

But do you guys get the feeling?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

I have learned that you can't rely on feelings. There are times I feel the Lord present in my life so strongly and then there are times I feel like he has abandon me. That is where faith comes in and believing the word of God. The Lord is with you always weather you feel him or not. Faith is not a feeling and the word says "walk by faith", not by feelings.

Maybe you're searching for a subjective feeling when all God wants is your trust in the fact of Christ's death.

I know that many believers do not always "feel" God, and I know that all believers at some point in thier lives do not "feel" Him. However, our salvation is not dependent upon a feeling. It's a fact that Christ died for your sins. It's a fact that God's covenant with you was sealed in the blood of His Son. If you have received Him as your Savior, then it is also a fact that the Triune God dwells within your spirit.

Try spending some time in prayer alone with Him, without any interruptions (Maybe by going out somewhere in your car). Start by confessing your sins before Him. Search your being to clear out any obstructions to your fellowship. Then continue in prayer. Call upon Him from the depths of your being. I guarantee God will be real to you if you are real with Him.

Good word!

• 1 month later...
Guest Abbie_Grace

I say keep pressing into God. Make sure you are regularly praying, reading the bible and spending time with God. Like Avodah said it is a faith thing. A relationship with God is like any relationship, its about give and take, you need to make sure you are putting time and effort into getting to know God better and not just sitting around wondering why God doesn't feel close. I'll be praying for you Hannah, keep running hard for God and you will see his glory.

Abbie

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Sorry, I'm guessing wildly at what you need. How much time are you spending in prayer? I know a problem for me was telling the Lord "hello, please guide me in your will today, amen." Like picking up a sack lunch, kissing my mom on the cheek, and running out the door. Praying frequently with sincerity was the key for me.

Also, keeping a jornal of answered prayers, so I could constnatly remind myself of God's faithfulness. Have you been filled with the Holy Spirit of God? Did you used to sense God's presence and not anymore? Is there something that you know God wants you to do and you have not? It could be many reasons, but if you feel totally empty and dead inside, I don't think you should lay back and accept it. Can you give me some more details?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Hannah Marie
Sorry, I'm guessing wildly at what you need. How much time are you spending in prayer? I know a problem for me was telling the Lord "hello, please guide me in your will today, amen." Like picking up a sack lunch, kissing my mom on the cheek, and running out the door. Praying frequently with sincerity was the key for me.

Also, keeping a jornal of answered prayers, so I could constnatly remind myself of God's faithfulness. Have you been filled with the Holy Spirit of God? Did you used to sense God's presence and not anymore? Is there something that you know God wants you to do and you have not? It could be many reasons, but if you feel totally empty and dead inside, I don't think you should lay back and accept it. Can you give me some more details?

I only spend about 20 mins a day in prayer, but I don't keep a journal.. thats a great idea.. thanks..

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I know when I was baptised, I wondered if I did something wrong, all I felt was wet heh. There is no giant change you feel in yourself, but you can check yourself for it easily.

After believing for a few months, I realized how much my thoughts and actions had changed. How I was changing my life out of the love of and for the lord. Each change was subtle, but the total was huge now looking back at it.

It's quite common for your sense of closeness to God to come in ebbs and flows. I think God does this on purpose. He makes us to feel close to bolster us. Then he makes us feel distant to test and strengthen us. To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, the worst thing for a demon to see is a christian who feels left by God but keeps on believing in spite of himself. That faith is the strongest wall that no devil can hope to break.

Our faith is our most valuable thing. It connects us with the lord and leads our lives. It is tested to strengthen it.