NITE OWL

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

Some atheists know more about the bible than I do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I've noticed that a few here know an awful lot about the Bible. Makes you wonder why you'd spend that much time on a book that means nothing to you.

That would be like me spending years studying "Alice in Wonderland".

Odd.

But then again, maybe not. God's word IS powerful.

Peace,

Fiosh

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  05/01/1969

Some atheists know more about the bible than I do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I've noticed that a few here know an awful lot about the Bible. Makes you wonder why you'd spend that much time on a book that means nothing to you.

Don't forget that some of us spent many years as Christians before becoming atheists.

From my personal point of view, I continue to study the Bible because - even if I don't believe what it says to be true - many people do, so it is fascinating to study who wrote various parts of it, and how the beliefs that modern day Christians (and Jews) have can be traced back to the (often quite different) beliefs that the ancients had.

That would be like me spending years studying "Alice in Wonderland".

Odd.

Not that odd. Academics have done just that.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Just to see what makes you all tick. It doesn't bother me that you all believe in something and I don't.

I find some of the discussion threads here interesting and situmlating, others just descend into e-back slapping after about 3 posts and aren't worth reading.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  477
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Don't forget that some of us spent many years as Christians before becoming atheists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't buy that for a moment TA. If you were a Christian- as you purport to "have been" - you still would be one ( it's an eternal covenant with God- not some membership status that you can simply choose to no longer be a part as if it were some country club ). You may have knowledge of what Christianity is and what we teach/believe...but you never were a Christian if you profess to be an atheist. If you deny Christ - you never were a part of Him nor were you ever a Christian- therefore, you really don't know what it means to be Christian.

~ Tim

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  05/01/1969

I don't buy that for a moment TA.  If you were a Christian- as you purport to "have been" - you still would be one ( it's an eternal covenant with God- not some membership status that you can simply choose to no longer be a part as if it were some country club ).

Feel free to call me a liar if it makes you feel better about the security of your own salvation. I know that I am telling the truth, so my conscience is clear.

Still, if what you say is right, then I am still apparently still a Christian by your standards - simply a Christian who is so "backslidden" that he no longer believes in God or Jesus.

Strangely, that would make me both a Christian (because I can not have stopped being one) and an Atheist (because I do not believe in God) at the same time.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  477
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Feel free to call me a liar if it makes you feel better about the security of your own salvation. I know that I am telling the truth, so my conscience is clear.

I'm not calling you a liar- the Bible is and you are deceiving yourself- and I wouldn't be telling you this if I hated you; I don't. I'm telling you this because I love you in the Lord and you are deceived.

Still, if what you say is right, then I am still apparently still a Christian by your standards - simply a Christian who is so "backslidden" that he no longer believes in God or Jesus.

Strangely, that would make me both a Christian (because I can not have stopped being one) and an Atheist (because I do not believe in God) at the same time.

No- you were never a Christian therefore you are not an heir to His Kingdom. YOU are the one who believes that you were a Christian. But the Bible says otherwise. You defined yourself mate- not me. YOU said "I do not believe in God". How does me calling you what you yourself said you were make anyone a liar except for you ? I'm not saying anything you didn't place on yourself...and I defined you per the Bible's standards- not my own.

Be blessed,

Tim

I don't buy that for a moment TA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't buy that for a moment TA. If you were a Christian- as you purport to "have been" - you still would be one ( it's an eternal covenant with God- not some membership status that you can simply choose to no longer be a part as if it were some country club ). You may have knowledge of what Christianity is and what we teach/believe...but you never were a Christian if you profess to be an atheist. If you deny Christ - you never were a part of Him nor were you ever a Christian- therefore, you really don't know what it means to be Christian.

~ Tim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since christians cannot become atheists, can atheists not become christians?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the record............not all Christians believe in the doctrine of "once saved always saved" (often posted as "OSAS"). RC's do not.

Guest sallystrothers

Since we're on the topic of atheists and we're all aware that even Christians (among all humanity) have weak points I thought I would throw a few cents in.

The single most inhibiting downfall for atheism is the claim to use superior logic and/or intellect in discerning one's belief. All it takes is a single statement by an atheist that Christians don't truely understand logical thought or scientific method (or even science) and I get all fired up.

With that said the only true path to be taken while claiming logic and scientific method is agnosticism. From the information our own race has generated there is absolutely no TRUE evidence leading one way or the other. The beauty and undeniable fact about humans us that we have free will to choose whatever we want, so if you want to believe atheism you have the right. But keep in mind that in order to follow atheism you have to deny everything that flaws the existance of a godless universe and therefore you in the same faith-based boat as all your god believing comrades.

Now there is another group of atheists who have theological reasoning for believing god does not exist and may use something along the line of Epicurious' Riddle. I understand what I wrote above may not necessarily apply to this group but keep in mind it was a generalization.

Christians have weak points? How can that be? Are you not reborn? Were you not given a different mind?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

" have weak points"....................????????

NOT ME!

:o

:P

:)