Alexander the Great

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

Didn't know where to put this, but I guess it's just as important as any.

I've recently been studying Alexander the Great's conquest of Persia and Egypt. I came across quite a story about when he reached Israel:

During his military campaign against Persia, Alexander took a detour to the south, conquering Tyre and then Egypt via what is today Israel. There is a fascinating story about Alexander's first encounter with the Jews of Israel, who were subjects of the Persian Empire.

The narrative concerning Alexander's first interaction with the Jews is recorded in both the Talmud (Yoma 69a) and in the Jewish historian Josephus's Book of Antiquities (XI, 321-47). In both accounts the High Priest of the Temple in Jerusalem, fearing that Alexander would destroy the city, went out to meet him before he arrived at the city. The narrative describes how Alexander, upon seeing the High Priest, dismounted and bowed to him. (Alexander rarely, if ever, bowed to anyone). In Josephus's account, when asked by his general, Parmerio, to explain his actions, Alexander answered, "I did not bow before him, but before that God who has honored him with the high Priesthood; for I saw this very person in a dream, in this very apparel."

Source

Any historical truth to the matter of is this just enhancing upon the truth? It would be interesting seeing as how if Alexander truly had a vision and a dream to spare Jerusalem, it would be nothing short of the hand of God...for Jerusalem still had some prophecies to fulfill.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to look this up on my desk reference. I had lost my complete works to storage almost two years ago and just got it back a few months ago.

What I found interesting while reading book XI was that Jaddua was terrified of him coming and was afraid of him because he didn't send what Alexander had requested, so he asked the people to pray, to interceded while he made sacrifices and the L-RD told him what he should do. Josephus goes on to say that the Cohen had a dream where the L-RD told him what to do, part of which was to 'adorn the city' and open the gates and have all the people dress in white garments while the priests dressed in their proper priestly garments. Upon hearing that Alexander wasn't far from Jerusalem he ordered all to go out to meet him in a procession that was described as 'unlike any other nation'.

Phoenicians and Chaldeans followed Alexander with the hopes of ravishing the city, plundering and having as their chief prize of torture, the High Priest. However when Alexander approached, the Hight priest saluted him followed by all the other priests and the citizens 'with one voice' and encircled round about him. All those acompaning him in this 'taking of Jerusalem' where astonished, and thought he was ill in the mind.

One man , Parmenio was brave enough to ask him why he did it, why he worshipped the Cohen, but he told him that he was not, but instead the G-d whose name was written upon his turban. For it seems Alexander too had a dream, and saw the Cohen HaGadol in this dream, dressed in the garments of the office, who told him how to go about with his conquering. He felt it was divine providence, he believed that he was following G-d plan as relayed to him in a dream by the High Priest. He gave the High Priest his right hand, which meant then as an equal thing I believe of acceptance, and went into the city of Jerusalem with all the priests surrounding him.

He offered sacrifices, under the direction of the High Priest to the G-d of Israel. It is said that he treated the High Priest and the other Levites magnificently, whatever that means, and then they did something very interesting.

They showed him the scroll of Daniel. They showed him the prophecies about the world leaders, world governments and when he heard where it spoke of a Greek that would conquer and destroy the empire of the Persians he supposed that it was speaking of him.

He was so pleased with this revelation and the people that he asked what could he do for them, the Hight Priest asked that they be allowed to follow the Laws of the Torah of sabbatical years, and asked that they not be made to make tribute on the seventh year as the land would be resting at that time. He agreed. So the High Priest pressed and asked that those Jews living in Babylon and Media also be granted the same privileges, and he agreed again. He also told them that he would also regard those laws and allow any Jews to be in obedience to Torah that wished to serve with him in his army. It is said many were happy to do so and accompanied him, while not breaking Torah.

Very interesting indeed!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

That truly is amazing though. That the man who was part of a prophecy actually read the prophecy about him.

And the fact that he didn't plunder Jerusalem....that just shows how powerful arrogance is....because he was elevated and prophecied about, he took that as more valuable than any riches of the city. Amazing :emot-crying:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

That's cool!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

How very interesting! More please!!!!

Outside of Moses & Jesus and the Apostle Paul, this was probably the most influential man in world history. His influence lives with us strongly still today

Alexander of Hella.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

That is so awesome!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  627
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Thats for sharing guys, that's really interesting. :noidea:

• 7 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Why use Alexander the great when his TRUE name is much better Alexander the GOAT.