• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/28/2022 at 9:46 PM, Open7 said:

I’m reading Matthew 5, and in verse 34 Jesus teaches that you should not swear any oaths.

In a commentary I read it said that oaths are permitted under certain circumstances, as long as they are not abused and used as a cover for deception.

Not to say all commentaries are perfect, but it gave examples of people taking oaths in the Bible, including Paul.

My main question is that if we are not to take this statement from Jesus as an absolute, then how do we know this when he does say it in black and white, to not take oaths. It doesn’t seem that the language he is using indicates that it’s not literal. It’s not the only time Jesus does this.

So I’m left a bit confused as to how far I should take some of his statements.

Hope this all makes sense, thanks

its simply not wise to promise what is not in one's hand to give, or do.

if we are in the same room i can promise i will attack you if this or that. if i have 20 dollars in my hand i can promise you that amount or less on a transaction. but to promise to pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today is not wise in the eyes of the Lord.

the Lord can promise anything or give His Word to anybody for anything because its at His hand and within His power to do so or make it so. you can't promise tomorrow because its not within your power to be alive tomorrow unless the Lord let you be, and there's always circumstances beyond your control.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

2 Timothy 2:15 (AV)
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Dividing is an old English way of saying getting something correct, dividing truth from error (in this case, in understanding the word of truth).

But you can also take it literally in the dividing of the word of truth the Bible into the two major covenants (New and Old Testament).

In several passages throughout scripture God juxtaposes the traditions of man with the way / truth of God (Proverbs 14:12 / Proverbs 16:25 / Matthew 16:17 / Matthew 16:23 / John 8:43-44 / Mark 7:13 / Mark 7:7).

The traditions of man have wrongly divided the word of truth (New and Old Testaments) between Malachi 4 and Matthew 1...

Hebrews 9:16–17 (AV)
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

The Old Testament (Covenant) did not end until the death of Christ the Testator of the New Testament (Covenant) on the cross.

Everything in the Gospels prior to this event (Matthew 27:50 / Mark 15:37 / Luke 23:46 / John 19:30)  is Old Testament under the Old Covenant.

Just knowing this fact removes a vast amount of confusing claims about Christianity... like having to forgive everyone everything or your Heavenly Father will not forgive you (Mark 6:14-15 / Mark 11:26). ← that's Old Testament Law not New Testament Grace

Or:

Matthew 5:29–30 (AV)
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Law of Moses!

Grace of Christ:

John 3:16–18 (AV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Ephesians 2:8–10 (AV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

John 6:29 (AV)
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

The only thing not covered by the blood of Christ shed on the cross is unbelief in him.

• 3 weeks later...

On 7/28/2022 at 11:46 PM, Open7 said:

I’m reading Matthew 5, and in verse 34 Jesus teaches that you should not swear any oaths.

In a commentary I read it said that oaths are permitted under certain circumstances, as long as they are not abused and used as a cover for deception.

Not to say all commentaries are perfect, but it gave examples of people taking oaths in the Bible, including Paul.

My main question is that if we are not to take this statement from Jesus as an absolute, then how do we know this when he does say it in black and white, to not take oaths. It doesn’t seem that the language he is using indicates that it’s not literal. It’s not the only time Jesus does this.

So I’m left a bit confused as to how far I should take some of his statements.

Hope this all makes sense, thanks

1. The Old Covenant (Law of Moses) was still in effect until Christ's death on the cross (Hebrews 9:16-17).

2. Oath taking is in effect a gamble. You are banking on fate, physical, mental, financial stability / well being that

may or may not take place. And you cannot see the future when circumstances change the conditions yet the obligation to

the oath remains in place.

Oaths and promises. Beware.

Yes yes / no no ← hard enough to live up to...