IGNORED

Who managed to quit smoking? or is trying to quit?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  0

Perhaps he did not believe it would be a hinderance to his calling? In those days as a minister in his capacity, it was not. Some that are called to greater authority, have a greater responsibility.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,561
  • Content Per Day:  12.17
  • Days Won:  31

1 minute ago, Anne2 said:

Perhaps he did not believe it would be a hinderance to his calling? In those days as a minister in his capacity, it was not. Some that are called to greater authority, have a greater responsibility.

@Anne2 While it can be good indeed to quit or to be 'on pause', I just don't get the 'guilt-manipulation' / taboo stuff that 'pious' ppl sometimes pursue with a seemingly holier-than-thou attitude.

@Anne2 PS: In Spurgeon's case, I understand it gave him some relief from gout, then a condition for which there was less medication.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.68
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Anne2 While it can be good indeed to quit or to be 'on pause', I just don't get the 'guilt-manipulation' / taboo stuff that 'pious' ppl sometimes pursue with a seemingly holier-than-thou attitude.

Ever hear that song "Lonesome Valley"?

That's all anything in your life is about.  It's all your decision, and if you want it to be successful one you have to make it on your own for your own reasons, Letting others do it for you just won't work, you have to want it for yourself.

I think that may be where you're at now, do you want to become a non smoker because you want to be one, or do you want to do it because someone else is telling you that is what you should do (essentially controlling yourself or letting someone else control you)?

Life's really all about decisions, the reasons we make them, and the consequences we receive as a result of them.  Make decisions - receive the results, life's really that simple.

9  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

9  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

@Anne2 This is a wonderful and apt verse there; the experience of the believer drawing practically on the grace of God, day by day; I just don't see how smoking Christian women are supposed to be guilt-manipulated into feeling like second-class citizens.

4 minutes ago, farouk said:

This is a wonderful and apt verse there; the experience of the believer drawing practically on the grace of God, day by day; I just don't see how smoking Christian women are supposed to be guilt-manipulated into feeling like second-class citizens.

Others are similar 

11  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12  I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13  And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

23  Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
24  And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

These two were my prayer one night when I was in a very dark place in a situation with one of my Children. I was broken, and knew it was not within me to make it through. Within seconds, God did respond. And though the situation stood awhile longer I was ok emotionally. I know without a doubt it was all God's doing, because it was not me. It has never happened like that before, nor since. But it did happen then. 

10 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

Others are similar 

11  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12  I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13  And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

23  Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
24  And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

These two were my prayer one night when I was in a very dark place in a situation with one of my Children. I was broken, and knew it was not within me to make it through. Within seconds, God did respond. And though the situation stood awhile longer I was ok emotionally. I know without a doubt it was all God's doing, because it was not me. It has never happened like that before, nor since. But it did happen then. 

@Anne2 Prayer and the Scriptures should indeed drive the believer's life. Those are more, great verses there....

Some believers will be non-smokers and some will be smokers.

The manipulative taboo that some ppl like to think it is is not borne out historically. It used to be customary in some parts of North America in the 19th century for women to smoke after a church service; then for a while in the so called Progressive Era it became supposedly taboo for women to smoke. It's been done wholeheartedly over the years; and it's been abstained from wholeheartedly over the years. Customs come and go over the years, but I don't see how what some ppl do or don't do at one point in time somehow supposedly becomes the prism for all time to judge someone's doctrine before the Lord. (So much also for the idea that it's somehow 'unlady-like' to smoke.)

Well, as I said earlier, these things can be what someone is called to. In my situation, I needed to be able to help, and minister to my child in that situation. The Lord made me absolutely capable in that calling. Otherwise falling apart would not have been much use. I suppose if smoking was an issue to get in the way of something like that, it could happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

Well, as I said earlier, these things can be what someone is called to. In my situation, I needed to be able to help, and minister to my child in that situation. The Lord made me absolutely capable in that calling. Otherwise falling apart would not have been much use. I suppose if smoking was an issue to get in the way of something like that, it could happen.

@Anne2  Sensible post, indeed.

And I'm sure that among those church women in the 19th century who smoked there were those who felt "chosen...in the furnace of affliction" (Isaiah 48.10) in the course of their personal lives and who would have cast their burdens upon the Lord and would have received sustaining grace and guidance.

It would make no sense to say, "Yes, you could be chosen in the furnace of affliction....but only if you never inhale...."

• Thumbs Up 1